Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2021, 03:04 PM

Since NBC doesn't seem to be worth it this year, I'm looking for a companion to my FloBikes subscription - which won't have the Giro or the Vuelta, from what I can tell. At least, not in the U.S. Lucky Canucks...

I have no cable or satellite package, just a wifi router and a Roku.

Would GCN be a good compliment? Loves me some classics, and would like to watch some stages of the Giro, and maybe la Vuelta.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:46 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
Lol. Marty was apologizing last week for the loss of J-Pow's audio feed...

I was hoping it was a feature.
+ 1,000,000. Although I do like that Powers owns/rides a Pina Grevil. I want to like his commentary...but I don't. If I hear: "This course has a lot of speed limits." or "bending the tape"....I may lose it. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Since NBC doesn't seem to be worth it this year, I'm looking for a companion to my FloBikes subscription - which won't have the Giro or the Vuelta, from what I can tell. At least, not in the U.S. Lucky Canucks...

I have no cable or satellite package, just a wifi router and a Roku.

Would GCN be a good compliment? Loves me some classics, and would like to watch some stages of the Giro, and maybe la Vuelta.
As long as they have the programming your want, then sure. Streaming to your Roku should be fine. Roku has a built AirPlay adaptor or something (I don't speak tech language). All I know is that I can stream (airplay) from my phone direct to my Roku TV.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
GCN with a VPN is the winning ticket.

Quick question though. I have tried to do this for iOS devices in the past and they have failed because the app ends up asking for location access and uses that to validate the request. How do you get past that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2021, 03:56 PM

The issue with a VPN is (in my experience) you need to run an HDMI cable directly from your laptop to your television or watch it on your computer. No streaming with a VPN unless you have a router that can be "VPN'd" so your whole house thinks it's in England (that's some trick). I looked into doing that but settled on just bringing my laptop upstairs for races I didn't want to watch on my computer. It's really pretty easy. I've heard (and listened) that you should stay away from free VPN's as they are good at stealing data / identities, etc. I use Nord VPN. There are lots of options that mostly get good reviews.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:09 PM

OK, so lemme get this straight.

If I sign up for GCN, I should be able to watch on my laptop/PC/phone without a VPN. But if I connect one of these devices to the TV (via HDMI) I would need a VPN? I think I got lost somewhere lol.

$25 isn't bad at all for the races mentioned earlier in this thread, and maybe they'll add some GT's later in the year. But would like to do this without the VPN.

I think I've come across some of their CX stuff on Youtube (IIRC), but had to have an account to actually watch the video of the race. Is that an option - to get an account and then watch after the fact on Youtube (no VPN, maybe)?

Sorry, as you can tell I'm not real tech savvy.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:49 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
OK, so lemme get this straight.

If I sign up for GCN, I should be able to watch on my laptop/PC/phone without a VPN. But if I connect one of these devices to the TV (via HDMI) I would need a VPN? I think I got lost somewhere lol.

$25 isn't bad at all for the races mentioned earlier in this thread, and maybe they'll add some GT's later in the year. But would like to do this without the VPN.

I think I've come across some of their CX stuff on Youtube (IIRC), but had to have an account to actually watch the video of the race. Is that an option - to get an account and then watch after the fact on Youtube (no VPN, maybe)?

Sorry, as you can tell I'm not real tech savvy.
No. VPN is a work around for accessing feeds elsewhere.

With the GCN race pass (phone, computer access), you can watch whatever. With a phone, you can stream to your tv (appletv or roku). With a laptop, just plug the computer into your tv using an HDMI. No vpn needed with anything mentioned in this paragraph.

VPN is for accessing free feeds and such from other countries.

Last edited by lavi; 02-03-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:43 PM

I have had GCN race pass. I use ExpressVPN.
The problem is that when using a VPN with the app you can not stream to your tv. I would rather have a AppleTV app. There the VPN will let be watch on the tv. I have all the European app’s on the AppleTV so I can watch the tour on ITV.
The BBC had the CX races this pass weekend. You can stream from a computer using your browser. I do this on a daily basis for years now.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
"Thots"

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
This is the entire reason I visited the thread.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:01 PM

Thank you for the vocabulary lesson! My kids (19 & 21) would certainly get yet another chuckle at their dopey old man... Question about issues with location. Has anyone used GCN on Mac, then airplay-ed to AppleTV??
Old 02-03-2021, 06:03 PM

has anyone seen the cycling THOT accounts? Instagram keeps recommending them. accounts with very curvy people standing over or next to bicycles?
Old 02-03-2021, 06:14 PM

I should have been more clear. A VPN is necessary for races on GCN restricted in the US. For CX this past season, that was all of the World Cup races including the World Championships. There are lots of races on GCN that are not restricted and can be streamed from your phone to an Apple TV, etc.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
has anyone seen the cycling THOT accounts? Instagram keeps recommending them. accounts with very curvy people standing over or next to bicycles?

Was just explaining to my wife yesterday that there is clearly something very wrong with the Instagram suggested follows algorithm.

But seriously, it’s all trash. I follow a handful of cyclists, 90% men, and some Italian landscape photo sites, and my recommendations are all women with plastic surgery.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:52 AM

Bumping this up now that we're a couple of weeks into Feb...

Any comments from folks who signed up for the GCN+ 50% off deal? Curious if the listed races (Tour de la Provence right now) are watchable in US or if a VPN is a must. Similar question o the on-demand feature, working okay or only via VPN?

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexihnen View Post
Was just explaining to my wife yesterday that there is clearly something very wrong with the Instagram suggested follows algorithm.

But seriously, it’s all trash. I follow a handful of cyclists, 90% men, and some Italian landscape photo sites, and my recommendations are all women with plastic surgery.

Click "not interested" enough times and eventually they get filtered out.
Old 02-14-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_hudson View Post
Bumping this up now that we're a couple of weeks into Feb...

Any comments from folks who signed up for the GCN+ 50% off deal? Curious if the listed races (Tour de la Provence right now) are watchable in US or if a VPN is a must. Similar question o the on-demand feature, working okay or only via VPN?

Thanks!
Watching Tour de la Provence right now on my MBP, no VPN... have access to all the cross races from the weekend.. good stuff.d