Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-12-2021, 09:48 PM
cmg

BTLOS wheelset reviews, rider opinions

considering buying a set of BTLOS 55 wheels. anyone of the members taking a dive? what's the forums opinion? any stories of explosions or bursting into flames? how do they perform over rollers?

Last edited by cmg; 05-12-2021 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:56 PM

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=26255
Old 05-13-2021, 06:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
considering buying a set of BTLOS 55 wheels. anyone of the members taking a dive? what's the forums opinion? any stories of explosions or bursting into flames? how do they perform over rollers?
No, I don't work for BTLOS, don't get any skim from them BUT..I have built more than a few wheelsets using their rims. When you build a wheel, you can learn a lot about the rim...AND I'm a fan of BTLOS. PLus, many, many options, pretty quick delivery(altho pretty pricey but from China and by air). Very good communication with the company("Amy", altho that might be more than one person)..above a thread about them, where I 'mention' them again.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:07 AM
I need you cool.

I've had mine (built by Oldpotatoe) about a month. Love them...smooth, straight, solid. Mine are not the lightest (have not weighed them) as they built with 32 spokes....yes, that is different, but it is the hubs (240s) I had for the build.

I am a fan....already thinking about another wheelset build, Aivee hubs and the "proper" number of spokes!

BTW - very impressed with braking...as good or better than my old alloy Eurus wheels they replaced. Have not had them in "rain" yet, but a couple times on wet roads and it was all good. Mine have the graphene brake track option.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:55 AM

I really like the set I had built up. Quality is very good and on par with any other big name brand carbon rim IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2021, 12:02 PM

I ordered mine in Feb/March of this year. They have apparently been lost in shipping. I'm kinda ticked. I paid for upgraded shipping (the middle tier, not the super-duper fast shipping). Got a notice of shipping on March 30th from BTLOS. Last update through the carrier portal was April 7th. I was patient, and gave it a good while, thinking that maybe this is how things work these days. Reached out to BTLOS and the shipping company has no idea where my wheels are. BTLOS has asked that I give it another 2 weeks (a week as of now) and see if they show up. If not, they will ship another set or something. Not the fault of BTLOS, but sorely disappointing. I ordered these thinking that I would have them by mid-May at the very latest. Looks like that ain't gonna happen.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:30 PM

Any comment on BTLOS vs Light Bicycle rims from folks who own and/or built both?
Old 05-13-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_hudson View Post
Any comment on BTLOS vs Light Bicycle rims from folks who own and/or built both?

I’ve wondered about this same question.

Old 05-13-2021, 02:03 PM

I have a set of WGX50s that I picked up second hand. I had to swap the freehub from XDR to Shimano but that was very easy once I found the right Novatec parts (bought from Bikeinn.com)

I only have 12 miles on them after work last night and my initial impressions are solid. I'm coming off the Giant SLR1 42mm carbon wheels that my TCR came with.
  • There is no noticeable difference in weight. I think both wheelsets are in the 1450g range.
  • The exact same GP5k 25mm tires measure out at almost 29mm on the BTLOS.
  • The ride quality is substantially improved, even at the same pressure with the same latex tubes (~95psi).
  • I "think" they are less susceptible to wind gusts. I will continue to update on this over the coming weeks as I get more miles on them.
  • The tires are a lot louder now. I think the extra width hits a sweet spot on the GP5k that ticks them up a few dbs.
  • More aero and easier to hold 20mph+? Jury is still out. Will continue to update.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:15 PM
Cat 6

Could a novice wheel builder (no experience) build up a carbon (20 x 24) wheel as a 1st wheel? Is this too difficult as task for a 1st attempt?
Old 05-14-2021, 06:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
I ordered mine in Feb/March of this year. They have apparently been lost in shipping. I'm kinda ticked. I paid for upgraded shipping (the middle tier, not the super-duper fast shipping). Got a notice of shipping on March 30th from BTLOS. Last update through the carrier portal was April 7th. I was patient, and gave it a good while, thinking that maybe this is how things work these days. Reached out to BTLOS and the shipping company has no idea where my wheels are. BTLOS has asked that I give it another 2 weeks (a week as of now) and see if they show up. If not, they will ship another set or something. Not the fault of BTLOS, but sorely disappointing. I ordered these thinking that I would have them by mid-May at the very latest. Looks like that ain't gonna happen.
Did you use FedEx or EMS? My last set of rims came in about 3 weeks. They ARE going thru many hands and coming from China..but you know that.

I once sent a bike repair stand to a guy in the Netherlands..It disappeared only to be found in Saudi Arabia about 3 weeks later..FedEx...
Old 05-14-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_mutt View Post
Could a novice wheel builder (no experience) build up a carbon (20 x 24) wheel as a 1st wheel? Is this too difficult as task for a 1st attempt?
If you have experience truing, go for it. The first set I built were Reynolds Assault rim with DT 240 hubs and Sapim CX Rays (and last set so far...only because I have zero free time now). I have a little over 2k miles on them, never had to true them after the first ride I did with them.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:32 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_mutt View Post
Pretty pricey rims to start with but a carbon rim is just a rim. Builds like any other..Even and sufficient tension is key. 20(radial, I assume) and 2 cross rear makes it more difficult than more spokes but not hard. It can be 'difficult', but not hard.

Using non thin spokes makes it easier also. I know CXRays get a lot of love but really adds little to a wheel's performance, are more difficult to build with and are EXpen$ive. CXRays are 1.4 grams lighter per spoke than a Sapim Race spoke..a 24h wheel is 33grams heavier with a Race spoke..BUT, thin spokes are thin spokes..no such thing as a free lunch. Trim your nose hair instead..
Old 05-14-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
I’ve wondered about this same question.

I have a set of Light Bicycle rims on DT Swiss 240’s and a pair of Btlos on Aivee hubs. Both 24/28 with CX Rays.

The Btlos are 36’s and the LB are 40 somethings. The only real difference I can tell is in the braking. The Btlos seem to brake better and quieter with the same pads, which are a pair of Enve pads. It’s all I had available when I needed new pads. They were both being used with the same brakes.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:22 PM
Cat 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Pretty pricey rims to start with but a carbon rim is just a rim. Builds like any other..Even and sufficient tension is key. 20(radial, I assume) and 2 cross rear makes it more difficult than more spokes but not hard. It can be 'difficult', but not hard.

Using non thin spokes makes it easier also. I know CXRays get a lot of love but really adds little to a wheel's performance, are more difficult to build with and are EXpen$ive. CXRays are 1.4 grams lighter per spoke than a Sapim Race spoke..a 24h wheel is 33grams heavier with a Race spoke..BUT, thin spokes are thin spokes..no such thing as a free lunch. Trim your nose hair instead..
maybe I'll take apart an existing spare, unused, rim and give that a go before taking on a more "difficult" project.

thanks