Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2021, 02:12 PM

New ebay TOU

I searched, and found some ebay topics, but not this one. Point me in the right direction if I missed the appropriate thread.

I buy a few things, once in a while, on ebay. Rarely sell.

They have a new TOU I'm supposed to acknowledge, or my "ability to revise or relist existing listings, or create new listings will be disabled".

From the email -

Why is the way I’m getting paid on eBay changing?
We are updating the payments experience on eBay to enhance the buying and selling experience on the marketplace. We believe this is an opportunity to deliver a more seamless experience for both buyers and sellers, while offering a greater choice in payment and payout options.

What in tarnation does this mean? Seems like a lot of multisyllable words that convey no information whatsoever.

I'm not looking for a goldurned "selling experience". I want to (rarely) buy and sell items. I don't want a mud wrap or foot massage with my transaction.

What's a "seamless experience", anyhow? I've never bought, sold, or even browsed for zippers.

Last edited by reuben; 05-14-2021 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
I searched, and found some ebay topics, but not this one. Point me in the right direction if I missed the appropriate thread.

I buy a few things, once in a while, on ebay. Rarely sell.

They have a new TOU I'm supposed to acknowledge, or my "ability to revise or relist existing listings, or create new listings will be disabled".

From the email -
Why is the way I’m getting paid on eBay changing?
We are updating the payments experience on eBay to enhance the buying and selling experience on the marketplace. We believe this is an opportunity to deliver a more seamless experience for both buyers and sellers, while offering a greater choice in payment and payout options.
What in tarnation does this mean? Seems like a lot of multisyllable words that convey no information whatsoever.

I'm not looking for a goldurned "selling experience". I want to (rarely) buy and sell items. I don't want a mud wrap or foot massage with my transaction.

What's a "seamless experience", anyhow? I've never bought, sold, or even browsed for zippers.

They’re cutting PayPal out the loop.

When you sell the buyer pays, eBay automatically takes its fees and the remainder gets deposited straight into your bank
Old 05-14-2021, 02:25 PM

They're making more money.
So I went yesterday to link my bank, and I entered my PO Box. eBay didn't like that, it wanted a street address. So I entered my street address. eBay didn't like that "This address doesn't match the address we have on file."

Which of course is the PO Box.

I decided to pull the four remaining listings I had and swear off my occasional selling on eBay. They suck. Paypal sucks. I'm just tired of it.

This will help me to buy less stuff so I don't have to sell it.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:15 PM

Agreed, this combined with the new $600 in sales tax event pretty much takes any remaining blush off the eBay rose
Old 05-14-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
They're making more money.
So I went yesterday to link my bank, and I entered my PO Box. eBay didn't like that, it wanted a street address. So I entered my street address. eBay didn't like that "This address doesn't match the address we have on file."

Which of course is the PO Box.

I decided to pull the four remaining listings I had and swear off my occasional selling on eBay. They suck. Paypal sucks. I'm just tired of it.

This will help me to buy less stuff so I don't have to sell it.
Well, I guess it's a good thing I bought those wheels from you a couple of days ago using a personal check, eh?
Old 05-14-2021, 03:21 PM

When/if you read the entire terms you will never want to sell there again. I had mostly stopped over last couple of years because of the lack of real seller protection. I think the latest move means I’ll never sell there again.

Funniest part is after listing first item for years they ask me to verify my account. I do and they set me a limit of $25,000 and 200 sales per month. I laughed out loud. I had right at 200 transactions buying and selling since almost the very beginning of ebay.

The terms for payment as a seller are simply stunningly bad. If you go along with this bs you better have a bank account with very little balance and not linked to any other account. Otherwise, you can’t count on the money for as long as many months if any minor problem occurs.

Insert meme of old man yelling at clouds.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:25 PM

My take on this is that ebay doesn't want people using their CC linked paypal accounts anymore. They want to be able to pull money directly from your bank account via ACH, which is very difficult to fight. Combined with the very anti-seller policies it already has, it's more of a nightmare than ever to use for sellers. Buyers will probably be happy.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:27 PM

This for signing up for the Managed Payments, correct?

After getting my 1099-K as a result of my sales for 2020 I've really cut down on my eBay but I really missed having my sale money banked in PayPal and I could use that to pay for shipping labels, pay fees, and having fun money stored up for a future purchase.

Now the funds are distributed to your bank account, minus the fees, but it takes several days to receive it.

I miss selling but I'm really too busy to have a side hustle these days. But yeah, managed payments does stink.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:50 PM

... and then I clicked on the link and received the following error message - bold font, lack of spacing, and run on phrasing copied verbatim.

Quote:
We'll notify youWe’re not yet ready for you to update your account details. We’ll send you an email and a notification in My eBay when you can get set up.

Last edited by reuben; 05-14-2021 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
run on phrasing copied verbatim.
I think this gets you booted from ebay. Maybe their CEO was an English teacher at one time. Holy cow. I sell on ebay for the company I work for, not my money but I still do it as well as possible. Not going to sell there for my personal items.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:52 PM

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...highlight=Ebay

Should be the link to the prvious thread about this. They also want your ss number. I offered my fein and they would not accept it and i decided not to sell on ebay in the future.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:53 PM

I realize millions do but I have never used it much. If It went away tomorrow it wouldn't effect my life in any real way.

It's always been a weird place, eBay.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:05 PM

Bad post deleted. Bad reuben, bad!
Old 05-17-2021, 05:17 AM

I just sold something on ebay. Now I have an email from them that they're deducting 10% "to cover the outstanding fees and expenses." No other information.

What the hell is this?
Old 05-17-2021, 09:20 AM

Having not sold much on ebay in the past year, I just started selling again.
Yep, they ask for ss#, bank acount number etc. I gave them everything and then I started selling. After something sells, I get the money in 3-4 days deposited directly into my bank account. But I think the fess are about 14-15% on bike related goods. On one hand I think that is crazy fees. But on the other hand I feel, it is okay. I dont know what to think.