Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2021, 12:30 AM

Semi-OT-- PRP or Stem Cell injections

My osteoarthritis in both knees is hugely threatening my running. I'm almost 68, 44 years running and close to 80K lifetime miles. I've had a great run (no pun intended) but this year and last have been the most challenging to my running. The knee issue came on all of a sudden, I've never experienced knee problems, even a little, Ever ! I chalk it up to age and cumulative effect of all the years and miles.

I guess I'm lucky that it's not hugely affected my cycling or walking...but both aren't as fulfilling and gratifying to me as running.

I was on the DL starting Jan. 8 for 10 weeks and received a pair of cortisone shots March 11 that got me back running, and cycling up steep hills with no pain. Having much experience with cortisone shots , I know the effect is temporary.

I'm asking around locally to runner and cyclist friends if they have any experience, particularly in the knee, with either PRP or stem cell injection. So far, I'm not getting any feed back on either, so I thought I'd ask a broader audience here.

PRP is more common. And rarely covered under an HMO insurance plan from what I've been told by my primary care doctor and current rheumatologist who just gave me the shots. Both of those Doctors said...save your money it's a placebo effect.

Stem Cell I know absolutely zip about except that Kobe went to Germany to get treatment on his knees in an attempt to prolong his career. It seems it bought him a little more time, maybe another season.

Just doing some cursory digging it appears a Dr. Paul Tortland in Connecticut is one of the leading figures in the US.

There's a holistic type wellness clinic up in Santa Barbara where the younger Dr. there studied under Dr. Tortland. I'm guessing that the stem cell would even more dough then the PRP injections. And like PRP, not covered under insurance.

But if I hear enough positive fairly long term results from cyclist or runners, I'm considering spending/investing the dough to keep my passion going.

I'm realistic in that I don't expect to be breaking 40 minutes in a 10K anymore, or run anymore Marathons. But if I could just cruise along with my Border Collie pup at a 9-10 minute pace (hell at this point I'd take 11 minute pace) , 30-40 miles a week, 5 or 6 days, like I was doing prior to last year ....and not have a limp to my gait, I'd be overjoyed.

Thanks.

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 05-05-2021 at 02:03 AM.