Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2024, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
I simply HATE that they changed the name of the camera company from Olympus to "OM System".
They either spun off or sold the camera part of the business, so I think they might have had to

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
I think I have one that I have not used in a the last couple of years.
If you are interested I can snap some shots of it and email them.
I am now it the fujifilm camp.
Brian
Sent you a PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
I've had very good experiences with KEH. MAP Camera (Tokyo) is also highly reputable and usually very competitive and shipping is very fast.
I looked at MAP. It seems to say there will be no duties to the US. Was that your experience?
Old 04-30-2024, 12:56 PM
ZhugeLiang

a bit of a tangent...I was looking for some camping gear in the garage a few days ago, not remembering where exactly I put them so opening storage boxes randomly and saw this....the last time i held this camera in my hands was at least 10 years ago.

Old 04-30-2024, 02:54 PM

I would also recommend signing up for their (OM System's) mailing list. They have their own refurbished shop online, and while their typical prices are somewhere between absurd and obscene, they occasionally run some decent sales. Haven't checked recently, but I purchased my E-M1 mk1 and E-M5 mk2 from them (when they were still Oly) for ~$600. I think I'm looking at 7-8 years ago at this point though...
Old 04-30-2024, 07:28 PM

I'm in the Oly/OMD micro 4/3 ecosystem. I don't have the OM1, but did pick up a refurbed Em1ii a few years ago. Absolutely fantastic camera and holds up well even to this day. Yes the OM1 is an improvement, but I suspect it's only marginal for most shooters. I've bought a ton of used gear from MPB. Everything has always been in excellent condition and exactly as described in their listings. They show photos of the exact units they're selling so you know what you're buying. They have an Em1ii body in excellent condition for $600, which is an unbelievable bargain: https://www.mpb.com/en-us/product/ol...pping%20clicks
Old 04-30-2024, 07:47 PM

I should probably go thru my bucket of unused digital cameras. Sigma Dp2m, Sony DSC-V3.. some oddities for sure. What's the resale value on my Oly C3000?
Old 05-01-2024, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbh View Post
I'm in the Oly/OMD micro 4/3 ecosystem. I don't have the OM1, but did pick up a refurbed Em1ii a few years ago. Absolutely fantastic camera and holds up well even to this day. Yes the OM1 is an improvement, but I suspect it's only marginal for most shooters. I've bought a ton of used gear from MPB. Everything has always been in excellent condition and exactly as described in their listings. They show photos of the exact units they're selling so you know what you're buying. They have an Em1ii body in excellent condition for $600, which is an unbelievable bargain: https://www.mpb.com/en-us/product/ol...pping%20clicks
Great feedback. Thanks. I've been looking that their cameras. Very torn between an OM-1i and an OM-D EM1iii. The upgrades to the 1 are pretty impressive, and I "might" use some of them, but I'm reading a lot of good things about the M-1iii. Some do suggest the M-1ii, which is a lot cheaper.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:27 AM

Are you sure you want the OM-1 (of whatever generation) vs the OM-5/E-M5? I have an E-M5ii and it's been great. I'm considering jumping to the OM-5 to get some of the new features (better weather sealing, virtual ND or whatever they call it). Whenever I've handled an OM-1 at the shop, it feels just enough bigger/heavier to put me off it - the whole reason I went Olympus over Fuji was size/weight). And the feature set isn't all that different right now.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
The OM-1 is a digital camera. New, with a "mark ii" version. I'm not thinking about the film version. Heck. I've got a nice OM-4 I could let you have.
The ORIGINAL Olympus OM-1 was (is) a fully mechanical 35mm SLR film camera. I own two of these.

Last edited by nickl; 05-01-2024 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickl View Post
The ORIGINAL Olympus OM-1 was (is) a fully mechanical 35mm SLR film camera. I own two of these.
Yep. No idea why they recycled the name, but they did
Old 05-01-2024, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Are you sure you want the OM-1 (of whatever generation) vs the OM-5/E-M5? I have an E-M5ii and it's been great. I'm considering jumping to the OM-5 to get some of the new features (better weather sealing, virtual ND or whatever they call it). Whenever I've handled an OM-1 at the shop, it feels just enough bigger/heavier to put me off it - the whole reason I went Olympus over Fuji was size/weight). And the feature set isn't all that different right now.
No, I'm not. I have a E M-5i that has served me well, but I just want to get something new. Form factor is going to be a consideration, to be sure. I really need to go look at a larger camera to see if it's "too large". I might find that it fits my hands better.
Mostly, I'm feature shopping, but anything I get is going to be a huge step up
Old 05-02-2024, 03:16 PM

Quote:
No, I'm not. I have a E M-5i that has served me well, but I just want to get something new. Form factor is going to be a consideration, to be sure. I really need to go look at a larger camera to see if it's "too large". I might find that it fits my hands better.
Mostly, I'm feature shopping, but anything I get is going to be a huge step up
Totally get it, I've gone back and forth a few times. And to be fair, the OM-1 isn't remotely large - it's still smaller than most "pro-sumer" mirrorless and absolutely smaller than just about an DSLR. And if you have large hands, the extra grip area on the body is likely a plus that outweighs the extra bulk.

The internal hardware specs between the current OM-1 and OM-5 are pretty close. I think the OM-1 gets an extra stop in hand-held-high-def mode and virtual ND mode (it has more memory, maybe). But sensor and processor are listed as the same. It also has a bigger battery and dual SD card slots, which are probably worth it for a pro, but maybe not for a casual user. It also has a few unlabeled custom setting spots on the dial (on the OM-5, they're still labeled with icons for modes, which you can overwrite, where on the OM-1 they're just C2, C3, C4 - that's from memory, might be more to it than that).

Anyway, if you like the form factor of the old E-M5, I bet the OM-5 will do what you want. If you feel it's too small and gets front heavy (frequently use the big Pro lens or heaver vintage stuff with adapters), then maybe the OM1 would be better.

Like you said, you probably need to find a shop and hold each to know. On the used market, the 5 is a few Benjamins less, so makes a lot of sense.
Old 05-03-2024, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
And now I do.
Went today to handle the camera (it was the OM EM1, which is supposed to be very similar to the OM-1), and as soon as I picked it up I knew it was good. Not that much bigger and I didn't really notice the weight in the few minutes I held it. I'm sure I would for 2 hours or more, but not today. The grip really felt good in my hand, so that nails it down a bit more for me.
Thanks for mentioning holding it, because I'm not sure I would have made myself go pick one up, otherwise
Old 05-03-2024, 03:12 PM

Quote:
And now I do.
Went today to handle the camera ..

Thanks for mentioning holding it, because I'm not sure I would have made myself go pick one up, otherwise
Glad you liked it!