Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2017, 08:28 PM
aka RAEKWON

you def can't go wrong with a N22 but if it was my money, I would get an ericksen.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
you def can't go wrong with a N22 but if it was my money, I would get an ericksen.
Misreading this lead to a lot of confusion.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I'd need to find a shop that deals with the builder and I have not seen one out here in the SF Bay Area for Ericksen.

Moots has a few shops around here too but they are not really in my stomping grounds.

I'm one of those that supports local shops; and I'm not going to drop $9,000 at shop A and then take it to shop B for maintenance. So the shop I deal with can't be out of my way.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abguff View Post
I'd need to find a shop that deals with the builder and I have not seen one out here in the SF Bay Area for Ericksen.

Moots has a few shops around here too but they are not really in my stomping grounds.

I'm one of those that supports local shops; and I'm not going to drop $9,000 at shop A and then take it to shop B for maintenance. So the shop I deal with can't be out of my way.
If you know your numbers and what you want, dealing direct with the builder ain't no big thing. Local shop will gladly take your service dollars.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:

Whole Athlete in San Anselmo sells Eriksens and will fit you. John H. Who post here is the man to talk to at Whole Athlete.

http://wholeathlete.com

I just bought a Festka Classic One. It might be in you price range and it is an awesome carbon bike.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:02 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Nice to see he is made a go of it. I met him at the handbuilt bike show in San Jose years ago when he just started.

The frames look great then and I'm sure they have only become better.
That makes the two of us. I used to visit Nick pal at his shop which was along the route of my lunch ride. That was more than 10 years ago.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:05 AM

I have a Potts on order and his quoted turn around right now is 8-12 weeks. I have a couple other custom bikes and the communication with Steve has been far superior than the other builders I've dealt with. Such a nice guy and a wealth of knowledge
Old 11-22-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
yup
Old 11-22-2017, 06:49 AM
ZhugeLiang

Because OP is looking for a suitable replacement for the Ottrott, I tried to stay on the options of another carbon bike instead of recommending a different material like Ti - by which someone like Eriksen or No22 or Firefly or Spectrum would be most excellent choices.

A Ti bike gives a different ride to a carbon bike, not better or worse, just different and is worth noting.

My own experience with full carbon is restricted to owning a LOOK KG281, LOOK 585 and more recently, a Cyfac Absolu.
I can say without reservation, the Cyfac is the best of the bunch. It gives me a taste of what an updated, top-of-the-foodchain carbon bike is capable of. I won't say I still prefer the other steel or ti bikes I have, just that I like having the diversity of options because they ride very differently.

Last edited by weisan; 11-22-2017 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:35 AM

If you want Ti, or steel, or carbon for that matter, why not Carl Strong??? Or if steel is really an option for you, Dave Kirk? The only two on my list (got the Kirk already).
Old 01-08-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
My garage was broken into and they got my Serotta Ottrott, a custom cross bike and a Mt bike.

I’m not too worried about replacing the off road bikes but I do need to hunt down a solid replacement for the Serotta. I’ll miss that one ☹. I’m insured for current replacement cost so I’d guess I have about a $9,500 budget for the road bike.

Although I have been racing/riding bikes all my life; over the past 7-10 years I have not kept up with the bike industry and I no longer know who may be the go-to builders for a bike like a Serotta. I’m not going to race again so comfort is just a little more important than performance. Seven years ago I would have just ran out to get a Parlee but that technology has been around for a while and while I’m sure they still make great bikes I wonder what else is out there.

I’d want to stay away from things like Specialized, Giant and Trek they just don’t touch my soul. For mainstream bikes I could see a Colnago or BMC but I’m much more likely to pick something like Alchemy for carbon or Mosaic for Ti. Although in my area the Mosaic dealer isn’t a shop I’d do business with… I was bummed about that!

I do have a custom IF Crown Jewel from about 10 years ago so my Ti itch isn’t as itchy as my carbon itch. Although, a Ti gravel bike may replace both the cross and MT Bike.

Anyway I’m just looking for information as to what builders out there today build solid carbon or Ti bikes and can actually deliver within say 3 months.
Seeing the thread about what bike you'd buy for $6k reminded of this thread.

So.....whadja get?!
Old 01-08-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaAndBikes View Post
Misreading this lead to a lot of confusion.

I hear those have a stiff ride.

(original posting thankfully deleted!)
Old 01-08-2018, 08:17 PM

Wow...plethora of options.

Ti is going strong

US-made carbon...still going strong (used to think Parlee or bust...but now Allied and Alchemy?)