Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2024, 01:43 PM
Vendor

Does this wax look over heated?

I never paid too much attention to the wax temp. The other thread discussing the Silca strip chip has me wondering if I burned my wax. I usually set the cooker on high, set a timer on my phone and walk away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6882-compressed.jpg (143.3 KB, 228 views)
Old 02-23-2024, 01:52 PM

just looks dirty to me, but i didnt know wax could burn, so dont listen to me
Old 02-23-2024, 01:55 PM

I received a reply from Josh and your wax is fine. It turns yellow/brown when it's overheated t the point of damage. From now on, I'll just my crockpot to WARM and let it heat slowly.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
I received a reply from Josh and your wax is fine. It turns yellow/brown when it's overheated t the point of damage. From now on, I'll just my crockpot to WARM and let it heat slowly.

Interesting.. during my short wax stint, I def ran it on high and i always had a super duper noisy chain with the wax. Tried multiple chains, even new ones, so i just gave up on it and gifted my waxing setup to someone here.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:07 PM

"Does this wax look overheated?" is the Paceliner equivalent of "Does this look infected?"
Old 02-23-2024, 03:08 PM

The Silca product is not white due to additives. And that's not dirt unless something went very wrong in the procedures.

Now I'd like to see a picture of burned paraffin.
Old 02-23-2024, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
You might check the ZFC website. He says to put the Crockpot on low with the lid off. Of course it takes pretty long to heat up with the lid off.

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/w...-FAQ-v1.3c.pdf

Q) How do I know if I have overheated and damaged my wax?

A) If the wax started fuming, that’s a first hint. But if just at that point and no further, often things can still be ok.

You will know if you have really damaged the as when it cools it will have a distinct yellowish tinge to it. If the wax has not been overheated it will cool to adark grey, light grey or white colour – those shades just depend on how muchtungsten disulphide settles to bottom of wax when it cools – good swishingand cools quickly – will be dark. If it takes a long time to cool due to highambient temp, much will settle to bottom of the wax and it will be white, orany shade in between dark or white depending on cooling rate and how well swished.

Last edited by MikeD; 02-23-2024 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-24-2024, 07:52 AM
Vendor

The ultimate wax burn test is to turn it on warm for an hour or so, don't touch it, just let it sit there melted.. turn it off and let it cool without touching it again. This will give all of the friction additives time to sink so it should cool to be thin layer of black/dark gray at the bottom and a very white-light gray on the top. If that white-light gray is at all yellow, it's damaged.

Realistically, CrockPot high for most brands is 150-160C which is over the 140-150C ceiling of the wax without burning. Burned wax will have very short wax chain lengths, so the performance is typically fairly noticeable with short, noisy single application lifespan as the short molecules squeeze out more easily and don't stick to the metal as well.
Old 02-24-2024, 02:16 PM

Great description. Appreciate the info.