Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 04:23 PM

Lets talk travel bike cases

Never traveled with a bike in an airline but possibly going to Germany this year and would need something. I'd really like the convenience of one that allows me to keep the bars and seatpost in. Obviously that comes at a cost in both size and money. I'm sure some airlines will charge more by dimensional size.

I've been told that bike cases such as the Scicon soft case is super convenient, but many have told me horror stories of expensive damages from lack of robust protection.

Any suggestions for bike cases that have a balance between convenience and good protection without needing to take on a second mortgage to pay for it?
Old 01-21-2020, 04:27 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

The various models of cases available from https://triall3sports.com/cases-bike.php are pretty darn sweet.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:43 PM

I'll ditto your Scicon stories, United and dented, bent seatstay. I'm not inclined to solely blame Scicon, but you are right there are many similar stories suggesting they do not protect as well as other soft cases, certainly not as well as hard cases, or even a proper cardboard box for that matter. My brother, the victim, subsequently went with a purpose built cardboard box (I forget the maker).
Old 01-21-2020, 04:44 PM
formerly Landshark_98

not sure this strikes the right balance for you, but super convenient, protective, and only requires a second mortgage: https://www.buxumbox.com/product/ventoux-box/

It's great if going one place where you can store it. I used it on trains and in car service going from Nice to Lake Como to Bormio and it was a bit of a chore even though it rolls extremely well on its wheels. Now I needed a really big one, which makes my box a few mm larger than the maximum on some trains (and probalby too big for some local and others). But if you want piece of mindand like nicely constructed things, this is the box. And if flew as a piece of checked luggage without any extra charges on BZritish Airways.

Having said all that, with more and more good rental options available in Europe, the idea of not schlepping a bike and box around is more and more attractive.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:59 PM

Lets talk travel bike cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
not sure this strikes the right balance for you, but super convenient, protective, and only requires a second mortgage: https://www.buxumbox.com/product/ventoux-box/

I use the smaller box, the Tourmalet. You take off the bars (I just take the bars/stem off and pad them/zip tie them to frame), the pedals, and pull the seatpost out. Pretty simple to do. And I use that portable Silca torque wrench to put them back on. That box (the H1 size) is actually smaller than the other ones mentioned by folks above. Although as a hard aluminium case is more of a problem in rental cars than the soft ones that you can roll up but definitely easier than the Alan and so on other hard cases.

I have never had damage from an airline. I did once have damage to the box and a Parlee when FedEx put a forklift through the side of the box but I figure that is probably a kinda odd occurrence. I hope I didn’t just jinx myself.

In fact, I went out and bought two more of their cases for when I fly with/ship bikes. Love them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2020, 04:43 PM

Bike box alan is the best one I've ever used.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:37 PM

I have an old Trico Iron Case that has been from Austin to California at least a dozen times, to Spain three, Iraq twice, and most recently Austin to Phoenix.

It's a total workhorse.

On American sports gear is considered a regular checked bag as of this year.

.TRICO-TRAVELCASE-2T.jpg

Last edited by Hellgate; 01-21-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:50 PM

If you only intend to use it one, just get a box from your LBS. Free and fits the airline requirements.

If you'll be traveling often and want to purchase a case, I'd look for the most convenient one. If I were purchasing a road only case I'd get the new EVOC that doesn't require removing the bars.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:55 PM

Keeping the seatpost in is pretty limiting from a case option and size standpoint.

Cyclingtips has a piece few years back from an Adelaide baggage handler that soft bags were better than hard cases. Easier to move in the cargo hold, less likely to fall off conveyor belts, generally easier for security to repack after inspection.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:13 PM
aka RAEKWON

You don't even let a spec of dust fall on your bike. I seriously would not put it through a plane ride because it might as well get scratched up regardless of whatever case you put it on. If that is something that would bother you, maybe rent a bike in Germany?

Also, I would not rely on a case that you get to keep your bike intact, I too looked into one and too many horror stories. I seriously love my post cary, sure you have to take the fork off but if you protect the bike with some foam stuff, it will arrive just fine.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:22 AM

My one experience with flying to Europe (Norway) is that the airlines have different restrictions on bike cases than North America. Lighter weight and some will only accept hard sided cases.
My three go to cases are a Post Carry Transfer Case ( https://postcarry.co/ ), Thule RoundTrip Sport , and a Thule RoundTrip Transition

The Post Carry is great, but requires bike disassembly. The RoundTrip Transition is a beast of a case (40Lb) but offers great protection.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColiins View Post
My one experience with flying to Europe (Norway) is that the airlines have different restrictions on bike cases than North America. Lighter weight and some will only accept hard sided cases.
My three go to cases are a Post Carry Transfer Case ( https://postcarry.co/ ), Thule RoundTrip Sport , and a Thule RoundTrip Transition

The Post Carry is great, but requires bike disassembly. The RoundTrip Transition is a beast of a case (40Lb) but offers great protection.
I bought the Thule Roundtriop Transition when it first came out, and returned it. It's HUGE, and won't fit in many cars, especially with other luggage, just a warning. Other than that it was really nice.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:22 PM

The Post Carry Case is difficult to pack but easy to travel. I have to disassemble my bike quite a bit to pack it, and the wheel sleeves are best for tires of ~35mm or less. That said, it’s super easy to roll through the airport or put in the trunk of a taxi. Feels sturdy for a soft sided bag. The bag itself folds down for storage too. I really like the Post Carry for traveling with a road bike with rim brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColiins View Post

Instagram
Old 01-24-2020, 08:49 PM

My five year old EVOC bag has been used literally dozens of times with various bikes from my collection. Sometimes I ship ahead, sometimes it goes with me on the plane. Never had any damage occur. Takes 10-15 minutes to pack/unpack & set up. Slides under the hotel bed when not in use. Fits in every rental car I've tried. Has wheels and hooks up on my wheeled suitcase so we're kinda like a train going through airports and parking lots.

I'd buy another.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:36 PM

Did anyone buy the Post Carry Transfer case and has used it enough for long term feedback? I’m interested in durability on how well it has held up to airline luggage handling abuse.