Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2019, 12:20 AM

New to the forum

Hi I'm new to the forum I just wanted some advice.

I currently have a road bike that's way too big for me and a single speed road bike that is perfect. The road bike is 64cm and my fixie is 55cm.

I want to go on longer rides and miss the gears. Should I break apart the Fuji road bike and throw the components on a new frame or buy a whole new bike?

Has anyone put together a road bike using old parts? I've done it with an old road bike but just to make it into a fixie. I guess the biggest fear I have is the cables? And derailers?

Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2019, 12:28 AM

Hi looks like your stem on your road bike is longer than your fixie. Perhaps buying a shorter stem and replacing it will make your road bike just perfect.

But it would be wise to measure your reach first (Tip of saddle to middle of handlebars) on both bikes to confirm that this is an issue.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Hi looks like your stem on your road bike is longer than your fixie. Perhaps buying a shorter stem and replacing it will make your road bike just perfect.

Without my clipless on the Fuji it's uncomfortable to ride. The seat post is slammed to the frame. I'm not that tall I'm 5'11 I think the 64cm frame is supposed to be for someone like 6'6. The aventon on the other hand has a raised seatpost. Let me see if I can find a better picture.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:45 AM

Hopefully this picture is a little better. But yes you're right about the stem length. The two are pretty different. My dad bought the Fuji on Craigslist and I bought the fixie off of a friend. Besides tires and innertubes I haven't done anything to the bikes. I love the Fuji but I feel the frame is too big but I love how light it is and how well it feels to turn on it. The Aventon feels like more balanced and set to the ground if that makes any sense? Both are 700x25 so idk why it feels like this?

Old 10-16-2019, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 122294m040 View Post
Without my clipless on the Fuji it's uncomfortable to ride. The seat post is slammed to the frame. I'm not that tall I'm 5'11 I think the 64cm frame is supposed to be for someone like 6'6. The aventon on the other hand has a raised seatpost. Let me see if I can find a better picture.

My bad, I thought I read 54cm and not 64cm. Good luck.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:55 AM

JUst to start 64 cm and 5'11 tall do not mix at all.

You could grab the parts and put them in a smaller frame, is doable but whats your budget? asking because if you are looking for like the same standard than the fuji then probably you are better getting a new use one in the right size you know. All depends on the budget.

You can put a bike together using old parts, the issue is to have parts that work together, no idea what you have there moving around and again you stop at the word budget because you could get the same fuji at CL for 250 bucks which probably will be a lot quicker than trying to make work a lot of parts you could have moving around.

Everyting now a days is tied to budget and what are you looking for.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

I hate to say it but if you want to be comfortable on your road bike for longer rides your going to need about a 56-58 cm frame. You can move the components over from your Fuji. If you are not sure about how to move everything just do one step at a time ie. move the brakes, then wheels then derailleur then brake/shifters. You tube can be your friend.
If that feels like too much a good shop should be able to help.

Welcome , best of luck and keep us up with your progress.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:03 AM

Can you do it yourself? if not it's not worth it to move your 2 generation old sora components to a new frame. your components worth half of what it would cost to move them by a shop. I would just sell the bike and get a used one for under $200 bucks. medium sized bikes are the most abundant kind on the market.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
JUst to start 64 cm and 5'11 tall do not mix at all.

You could grab the parts and put them in a smaller frame, is doable but whats your budget? asking because if you are looking for like the same standard than the fuji then probably you are better getting a new use one in the right size you know. All depends on the budget.

You can put a bike together using old parts, the issue is to have parts that work together, no idea what you have there moving around and again you stop at the word budget because you could get the same fuji at CL for 250 bucks which probably will be a lot quicker than trying to make work a lot of parts you could have moving around.

Everyting now a days is tied to budget and what are you looking for.

Hope this helps.
For a frame I was thinking around $300 on eBay?

And for a complete bike I wanna spend like $800. I seen a really nice gravel bike with drops and all that for $1300 but it is a little out of my budget. But I honestly don't plan on buying bikes frequently so maybe I can wait off till after winter and buy it?

Side note: I want to ride from Los Angeles to santa Barbara next summer. Just to see if I can do it.

Old 10-16-2019, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
Can you do it yourself? if not it's not worth it to move your 2 generation old sora components to a new frame. your components worth half of what it would cost to move them by a shop. I would just sell the bike and get a used one for under $200 bucks. medium sized bikes are the most abundant kind on the market.
A lot of the nicer bikes are larger frame sizes. The medium sized frames look more beat up. Or are mountain bikes. But thanks. From what I'm understanding is it will probably be cheaper to sell it and buy a new one.

Old 10-16-2019, 06:12 AM
Tired Member

Welcome!
I wouldn't move the components. I'd just get a new bike. Both Fuji's and Diamondbacks are decent deals at your price point.

Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/273979175671
Old 10-16-2019, 06:44 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

My guidance would be to simply sell the big Fuji roadbike as-is without any changes.
This will minimize number of incompatible parts or dealing with worn components.
Then start from fresh with either a new bicycle or a really sweet used bicycle.

Good luck with the project!
Old 10-16-2019, 08:42 AM

WHat he says....

Sell it... you have a budget, add the 150 you could get from the fuji and start chasing for a newer bike in the right size and that can do what you want it to do.

Market is weak so you could find a good deal IMO.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:51 PM

I went down to REI to check out the bikes since I'm a co-op member of get a little cash back. The selection is small. But getting 10%-15% back seems pretty cool. I'm not so sure about spending the 1,300(ish) + tax on a bike I'm not in love with. And the new bikes for around 700 are all downhill hard tails. Which are cool but I don't see myself using the bike for what it's intended for.

Also going to check out a few local bike shops to sell my bike to over the weekend.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 122294m040 View Post
I went down to REI to check out the bikes since I'm a co-op member of get a little cash back. The selection is small. But getting 10%-15% back seems pretty cool. I'm not so sure about spending the 1,300(ish) + tax on a bike I'm not in love with. And the new bikes for around 700 are all downhill hard tails. Which are cool but I don't see myself using the bike for what it's intended for.

Also going to check out a few local bike shops to sell my bike to over the weekend.

Yes, but that 10%-15% dividend isn't so great when the bicycle you buy depreciates to 50% + in one day, and you're not sure it's the right thing.

Be patient and careful:
Test ride some bicycles at your LBS's; find the correct size; scour your local Craigslist, your LBS's bulletin board, the classifieds here, and eBay for candidates; and then decide.

And sell the Fuji as-is as others have advised.