Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 122294m040 View Post
I went down to REI to check out the bikes since I'm a co-op member of get a little cash back. The selection is small. But getting 10%-15% back seems pretty cool. I'm not so sure about spending the 1,300(ish) + tax on a bike I'm not in love with. And the new bikes for around 700 are all downhill hard tails. Which are cool but I don't see myself using the bike for what it's intended for.

Also going to check out a few local bike shops to sell my bike to over the weekend.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
$700 or so can get you a pretty good used bike. Where are you located? There are a lot of forum members who may be looking to sell something, and could probably let you test ride first.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
$700 or so can get you a pretty good used bike. Where are you located? There are a lot of forum members who may be looking to sell something, and could probably let you test ride first.
Very close to Cal State LA. Yeah I've been looking in offer up more than Craigslist. And I'm super new to the forum. I was looking through during my lunch break but nothing stood out? I'm not in a rush I want something that will last me a few years. And a bike that when I look at it it makes me want to go for a ride. I fell in love with my fixie and went on a 40 mile ride one weekend just cause it was sunny lol I want to feel the same about the road bike. The fixie I use to commute to the gym/ market when I don't want to lose street parking.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:31 PM

Isn't there a good deal on a complete bike 57-59 in our classifieds? This is almost always a better/safer place to buy than Craigslist.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:59 AM

Ok I couldn't reply to the classified section cause I'm a new member and need to reach 30 posts or something.

But what do y'all think of this?

I know it's out of my price range but I'm not in a huge rush so I can save a little more and i can get something similar or if it's still available ill make an offer.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Old 10-17-2019, 08:58 AM
Tired Member

That's a pretty nice bike. High quality 10s group.

Not sure where you are in LA, but I know that the REI in Santa Monica often has road bikes. The next sale is going to be in Nov (see here as discussed in this thread). IMO, if you can get a Cannondale CAAD12 or 13 on sale there, you're way ahead of the game.

Also, you haven't really identified your size. I ride a fixed/ss that is smaller than my road bike. You might want to get a tape measure and a friend and do the competitive cyclist fit calculator: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...ulatorBike.jsp
That's going to give you a good idea of what fits within a cm.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
That's a pretty nice bike. High quality 10s group.

Not sure where you are in LA, but I know that the REI in Santa Monica often has road bikes. The next sale is going to be in Nov (see here as discussed in this thread). IMO, if you can get a Cannondale CAAD12 or 13 on sale there, you're way ahead of the game.

Also, you haven't really identified your size. I ride a fixed/ss that is smaller than my road bike. You might want to get a tape measure and a friend and do the competitive cyclist fit calculator: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...ulatorBike.jsp

That's going to give you a good idea of what fits within a cm.
My closest REI is the one in Arcadia. I went yesterday. As I slowly do more research I'm liking gravel. Cause you can do a little more with it? Not sure that I would do anything off road but It would be nice to have the option.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:36 AM

Yep, I would sell the fuji...figure out your size (you sound def. like a 56 or maybe 57) and keep your eye on craigslist...a buddy of mine wanted to get into road stuff and we found him a perfectly fine Lemond Zurich with all ultegra in great shape for 300 bucks...there are some good deals out there for sure in the used market...

Last edited by cash05458; 10-17-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 122294m040 View Post
My closest REI is the one in Arcadia. I went yesterday. As I slowly do more research I'm liking gravel. Cause you can do a little more with it? Not sure that I would do anything off road but It would be nice to have the option.

I'm in the Boyle Heights/East LA/City Terrace/University Hills/Alhambra/Monterey Park/Hillside Village/El Sereno/South Pas area. I have a few sources/bikas in mind for you. Also, I'm sure we have a few mutual friends. DM me en el Insta

https://www.instagram.com/beeatnik/

and don't buy a "gravel bike"