Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2018, 02:49 PM

slipping chain

About a month ago a shop replaced the cable to the rear cassette because it snapped. They also did a "safety" check and said they made sure everything was aligned. During the last two weeks, the chain has slipped off the big chain ring particularly under a heavy load (I'm not that big: 5ft, 7in, 130 pounds) a couple of times each ride. Sometimes I can pedal and get it to return to the chain ring. Other times I've had to stop and put the chain back on.

I never had this problem before and was wondering if it has anything to do with the trip to the shop. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:03 PM

Yes, it does. Take it back and tell them about it. Ask nicely to have it adjusted. And ask them about why it happened and how could you have adjusted it yourself. If they are a good shop they will give you a short lesson in how your bike works and what to do when it misbehaves.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:21 PM
Total Fred

Having a hard time understanding how replacing a cable to the rear derailleur (I assume that is what you mean by rear cassette) could be attributed to the current problem of the chain falling off the big chainring. It could be that the bike shop actually did a quick tune up and adjusted that as well. Or they replaced both cables? If you've exceeded the service life of a derailleur cable and the bike hadn't received regular maintenance to catch that in advance, then it points to many other possibilities besides concluding it was solely due to a trip to the shop.

Tai
Old 11-15-2018, 03:25 PM
Administrator

please post a close-up photo of your outer chainring.

i'm assuming the chain falls off the big ring to the outside?

either the FD is not adjust properly, or your chainring is worn out, i suspect the latter if this happens under heavy load. that's a pretty typical symptom of a worn ring...
Old 11-15-2018, 03:42 PM
aka RAEKWON

yeah, agree with angry. Either the FD got out of wack for some reason your your you need a new chainring.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:59 PM

Could it be they opened up the high limit screw on the rear and thats whats causing it to fall off since its coming out further? Not sure why they would have adjusted the front derailleur.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:59 PM

All posts above are in the right direction in their suppositions but not the answer to this. Take it back to the shop. ‘Cause if you are asking this question here you don’t know how to fix this yourself and really shouldn’t need to since you paid the shop to fix it. And it might not have anything to do with the prior work. But you should ask, and ask to be educated on why it happened. Yes, it is likely the limit screws on the front derailleur. If its a good shop, they will fix it for you and explain whether its related to the prior work or not and why.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:28 AM

I am currently sitting adjacent to the wood stove, and bent over a cup of coffee. We received 7" in New Belgium, MA. School is on hold for the moment, and the little nippers have requested pancakes. When does winter begin?

I see that I've posted this in the wrong thread. Carry on.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
I am currently sitting adjacent to the wood stove, and bent over a cup of coffee. We received 7" in New Belgium, MA. School is on hold for the moment, and the little nippers have requested pancakes. When does winter begin?

I see that I've posted this in the wrong thread. Carry on.
Not a problem--it's winter everywhere in the NE...