Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2018, 09:33 AM

Help with Campy BB/Crankset

Hi all,

I am currently in the middle of a build with a potenza/chorus mixed group and I have a question about the BB/Bearings, and Potenza cranks.

The frame already has BB86 PF cups installed for Campagnolo, but no bearings installed. I ordered a brand new Potenza crankset from merlin cycles and it came with a single bearing on the drive side crank. I assume that the non-drive side will need one too, correct? If so, will I need to buy a pair or can I get that one individually? If I get a pair, should I replace the bearing that came on it? Why on earth don't they include the other bearing?

Old 11-14-2018, 09:46 AM

Are you sure? Potenza is ultra torque, so the cranks should come with bearings on both sides.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:48 AM

This sounds like you might have a mix of PowerTorque cranks and UltraTorque BB cups. Earlier versions of Potenza cranks used a PowerTorque spindle, in which the right bearing was mounted on the crank, and the left bearing was mounted in BB cup. The latest Potenza cranks use an UltraTorque spindle, in which both bearings are mounted on the spindle. Does the Potenza crank have the full length spindle attached to the right crank (and a splined hole in the left crank)? If so, then it is the earlier PowerTorque version, and you'll need a different set of BB cups.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:09 AM

I believe the current iteration of Potenza is power torque, with a self-extracting feature added. The original power torque did not have the self-extracting feature and required a special tool to remove the cranks. This wasn't popular at all, so Campy added the self-extracting feature.

It does appear that you have ultra torque cups, which are nothing more than cups. The bearings are pressed onto the crank halves, which are joined by a 10mm allen bolt.

I'm just about certain that you'll need a set of power torque cups for your Potenza crankset, which will have the NDS bearing.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
I believe the current iteration of Potenza is power torque, with a self-extracting feature added. The original power torque did not have the self-extracting feature and required a special tool to remove the cranks. This wasn't popular at all, so Campy added the self-extracting feature.

It does appear that you have ultra torque cups, which are nothing more than cups. The bearings are pressed onto the crank halves, which are joined by a 10mm allen bolt.

I'm just about certain that you'll need a set of power torque cups for your Potenza crankset, which will have the NDS bearing.
Dale, the latest iteration of Potenza was changed to Ultra Torque. My friend purchased a set recently and can verify that they are UT.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren128 View Post
Dale, the latest iteration of Potenza was changed to Ultra Torque. My friend purchased a set recently and can verify that they are UT.
Ok, I sit corrected. But if the set that the OP has have a bearing only on the DS, then that certainly points to a power torque version of the Potenza cranks. Power torque cups come with an NDS bearing, which seems to fit with the OP's situation.

I guess the pertinent question is whether the crank halves are roughly equal in length and have a toothed (hirth) joint or not.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:40 AM
Not a robot

Old 11-14-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
Ok, I sit corrected. But if the set that the OP has have a bearing only on the DS, then that certainly points to a power torque version of the Potenza cranks. Power torque cups come with an NDS bearing, which seems to fit with the OP's situation.

I guess the pertinent question is whether the crank halves are roughly equal in length and have a toothed (hirth) joint or not.
The OP's description does sound like a PT crank , a picture of it would help id it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2018, 11:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
Are you sure? Potenza is ultra torque, so the cranks should come with bearings on both sides.
First gen Potenza Power torque. ‘New’, no doubt but maybe not newest. If the crank only has a bearing on right side, PT and the gent needs PT cups. Ultratorque cups use a 6mm with bearing, PT, 7mm.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 11-14-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:36 AM

Original potenza is PT... 2018 potenza is UT... HAving that self extracting bolt potenza went to the next level IMO, no idea why they did not come up with that when PT was introduced (sell tools obviously), which was the reason why PT became so unpopular.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:38 AM

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/campa...tegrated-cups/

not familiar with anything over size but maybe the 386 will do? Hmm looks like it wont... check out this pdf from campy...

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/fil...ev02_06_16.pdf
Old 11-14-2018, 01:20 PM

If you can, get shot of Power Torque, it's gash and buy Ultra Troque Potenza. You don't need a $140 tool to remove the chainset, doesn't make the chainset that much of a bargin.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:49 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
If you can, get shot of Power Torque, it's gash and buy Ultra Troque Potenza. You don't need a $140 tool to remove the chainset, doesn't make the chainset that much of a bargin.
Please, my crank puller for my Athena PT crank was $38. PT works fine and dandy. I’ve taken mine apart once since 2013 and the bearings are still smooth like butter.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:36 PM

But.....didn't the first generation of Potenza (Power Torque) come with a self extracting NDS crank arm? If so....that w/b fine with me. Nothing second class about that.

if the poster here has a Power TQ crank with self extracting NDS crank arm....and wrong cups....that's easy to remedy. And IMHO.....I prefer the more standard Power Tq bearings.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:47 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
But.....didn't the first generation of Potenza (Power Torque) come with a self extracting NDS crank arm? If so....that w/b fine with me. Nothing second class about that.

if the poster here has a Power TQ crank with self extracting NDS crank arm....and wrong cups....that's easy to remedy. And IMHO.....I prefer the more standard Power Tq bearings.
Correct, 2017 intro.

Yup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A6V2_1_201604141107487086.jpg (10.4 KB, 47 views)

Tags
bb86, bearing, bottom bracket, campagnolo, potenza