Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2018, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Hmmm...

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...742674737.html

From those I've known who live and die by the social media exposure, it's a nauseating full-time job that holds no interest for me.

If being able to afford to live in a van, or do a bike tour, or live off-grid in a tiny-house means being tied 24/7 to a phone, taking selfies, composing shots, responding to tweets, etc. - count me out. I'd much rather do work I enjoy and have separation between that and the time where I get out away from things unplugged...
100% agree.

some of the people i follow in instagram make me wonder if they do anything without taking a picture of it. it literally must be exhausting, and for limited/questionable benefit.

i'm not very pretty though, the selfie life definitely would NOT equate to a revenue stream for me
Old 11-12-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
that's an old paradigm.

people who take time to take care of themselves used to be seen as "slackers", but i think, even in corporate america, this philosophy is changing, which is a good thing.

the old "american dream" expectation that adults should get a soul crushing job, work it every day of their life, taking exactly one, one-week vacation per year and retiring when they are old and worn out is quickly fading away. people are starting to come around to realize that mental and physical health are vitally important, and actually make for more productive, energetic employees.
Well said.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:49 AM

HEY GUYS!!

If you want to give this thing called "van life" a try, call my sister and brother in-law at RoamAmerica and go Van camping for extended weekend. Tell them Doug sent you. I never plug anything here.......but this is worth a plug.

They're based out of Portland, so if you've never seen or explored the PNW this is THE absolute best way to do so.............oh and Clean39 next time I talk to my sister I'm going to ask if you have called and if you haven't then we're no longer internet bike forum acquaintances. You've been warned.

Thanks y'all.

https://www.roamericarentals.com/

Old 11-12-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
HEY GUYS!!

If you want to give this thing called "van life" a try, call my sister and brother in-law at RoamAmerica and go Van camping for extended weekend. Tell them Doug sent you. I never plug anything here.......but this is worth a plug.

They're based out of Portland, so if you've never seen or explored the PNW this is THE absolute best way to do so.............oh and Clean39 next time I talk to my sister I'm going to ask if you have called and if you haven't then we're no longer internet bike forum acquaintances. You've been warned.

Thanks y'all.

https://www.roamericarentals.com/

Will definitely check it out

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Will definitely check it out

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Dude.....they're legit. We take a fleet of them to Suttle Lake/ Black Butte every summer. It's "MY" favorite time of the year. That's my ugly mug in the teardrop but the rigs they have to offer are legit.

They occasionally have some for sale too so drop me PM if you're at all interested and I'll give you my brother in laws info. He's probably one of the coolest, most laid back dudes you'll ever meet.

Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg suttle lake.jpg (116.4 KB, 290 views)
Old 11-12-2018, 11:05 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacstanley View Post
I bought a high roof Sprinter "used" with 13k miles on it two years ago. Still had the warranty. The cost was was what some people pay for Toyota Highlanders or Tacoma's. It get's 27.5 mpg and I commute in it every day.

I've made some modest homemade mods to it; built two removable beds for our family of four, paneled and insulated some sections and installed bulk head storage. We just came back from our second 2 week camping road trip all over the southwest and it was magical. This is our preferred vacation tool but I can still get lumber and move into a new house. Plus, I'm way more competitve in the free section of Craigslist to boot. My version of hashag vanlife.

IMG_20180929_171117 by zacquillestanli, on Flickr
Curious how it is with more than 2 people, granted it seems you have kids and not additional adults.

I can see this being a rocking solution for a couple doing weekend get aways, but more than that and it seems like it could get cramped pretty quick. If nothing else, more than 2 means you need to have seats in the back which would eat into space (I'd think), and sleeping arrangements could get tricky (maybe you're good until kids are 10+ years old, as long as you have a second bed?)
Old 11-12-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Fiat Ducato, unfortunately probably not with one of their diesel motors, some of which are very good. Normally those are plumber/electrician/builder/delivery vans. All over the place here.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:11 AM

Love this line:

"the future he was creating did not align with his truest values."

An online biz selling used watches? Uhhh....right.

Something's sounding not quite right with this whole "story."

That aside, van culture is indeed gone bonkers. Sportsmobile was one of the early firms out there doing amazing things. Many more competitors now.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Love this line:

That aside, van culture is indeed gone bonkers. Sportsmobile was one of the early firms out there doing amazing things. Many more competitors now.
It looks like selling used watches online was what was not aligning with his truest values. I'm sure there is a job that would align better, but I guess it's easier to just live in a van? Anyways, this does not at all appeal to me.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:42 AM

lotta forum interest in watches...

why the debbie downer tude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Love this line:

Old 11-12-2018, 11:48 AM
Classics Fan

Maybe his truest value was the almighty dollar, and a failing business was not aligned with it.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:04 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshi View Post
I have a Sprinter and I'm in this wayyyyyy less than what everyone is ball parking. It's actually a really great build too: soundproofed, insulated, storage, removable bed, separate battery bank, solar and a few other niceties. I don't have a 4x4 which kept cost down but I live in So. California so no real need for it. I also have the low roof because I plan to do the same pop top as pictured down the road but in the mean time it's totally functional as is.

Such a great setup for quick MTB excursions out of town.
That's a sweet setup. One day . . .
Old 11-12-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Curious how it is with more than 2 people, granted it seems you have kids and not additional adults.

I can see this being a rocking solution for a couple doing weekend get aways, but more than that and it seems like it could get cramped pretty quick. If nothing else, more than 2 means you need to have seats in the back which would eat into space (I'd think), and sleeping arrangements could get tricky (maybe you're good until kids are 10+ years old, as long as you have a second bed?)
Kids are 7 and 11. We usually do an 2 day Airbnb mid trip for laundry and to relieve some space pressure. We have only one 3 seat bench in the back. Just requires not overpacking and being organized which is a constant challenge. As they get older/bigger we will likely move them into tents and me and the misses will overtake the van.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:49 PM
hoolered

Glad to see this van talk going on- I'm in the market myself. I'm looking for something quite small and have a first gen transit connect budget. I literally kicked some tires this sunday and found that generation connect wont work for me.
Does anyone have any other suggestions for small cargo vans? I've considered last year model astro/safari but am apprehensive on service in the future. Any suggestions that would fit a large, modern, long-ass mountain bike?

Untitled by Matt Maceda, on Flickr

Old 11-12-2018, 02:06 PM

don't give up so easy. how about front wheel off, or place bike on a diagonal to fit? simple strategy, & can stay within budget. lots of creative ways to store the bike in there, just need time to think about it. transit connects are great little vans, some models great fuel efficiency.

unless you need more than just bike storage, i.e., room to lay down, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummus_aquinas View Post
Glad to see this van talk going on- I'm in the market myself. I'm looking for something quite small and have a first gen transit connect budget. I literally kicked some tires this sunday and found that generation connect wont work for me.
Does anyone have any other suggestions for small cargo vans? I've considered last year model astro/safari but am apprehensive on service in the future. Any suggestions that would fit a large, modern, long-ass mountain bike?