Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2018, 11:05 PM

Aortic Aneurysm and cycling - because walking is no fun

After multiple scans, tests and cardiac MRI I've been diagnosed with a 'significantly enlarged aortic root'. I've bugged my cardiologist to get a specific dimension, but have yet to get a response from him as I emailed him earlier today. My case has been referred to the thoracic surgeon and cardio gods of Kaiser for review.

I'm 31 with no history of smoking, drug abuse or heavy drinking. I've always maintained a relatively healthy diet and have always exercised. Assumption is the root cause is genetic, but that will only be confirmed after some genetic testing.

They gave me the okay to ride flat and slow for 2 hours a day, which at least gets me through my commute a few days a week. I have to monitor my blood pressure pretty closely.

Are any of you dealing with a similar diagnosis? How's it been so far? Have you had the aortic root replaced?

As irritating as it is to not be able to go for a good ride, I guess it's better than not knowing my aorta was a ticking time bomb?

-Matias
Old 11-09-2018, 11:12 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Sorry to hear this, and good luck with the treatment.

What symptoms (if any) did you have, that led the docs to look for and discover it?
Old 11-10-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Sorry to hear this, and good luck with the treatment.

What symptoms (if any) did you have, that led the docs to look for and discover it?
Thanks.

I landed in the ER on a Tuesday with all the symptoms of a heart attack and stroke, but no heart attack. Cold sweats, facial numbness, chest pain, what felt like a boa constrictor on my arm and blurred vision. Spent the night in observation, passed the cardiac stress test with flying colors and was released.

Drove myself back to the ER that same week on Thursday night because all the symptoms returned as I was in bed. Spent two more days in the hospital and passed all the tests/blood work without issues. The only constant was an elevated Troponin level (enzyme which is released when there is tissue damage to the heart). The elevated Troponin is found with most cyclists or endurance athletes after events, and mine was supposedly due to riding between 7500-9200 feet for three days.

All the immediate killers were ruled out and the only thing that confirmed the enlarged aortic root was the cardiac MRI. Multiple cat scans with dye and electrocardiograms showed signs of issues, but the image quality of the MRI is much greater.

From what I understand, the only time you have symptoms of Aortic Aneurysms is when it ruptures or leaks, both situations which lead to death more often than not.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:31 AM
Older Than You

Mine was 5.6 cm. Absolutely no symptoms. My internist discovered it during a routine physical. I had a stent installed through the groin in 2007. I have it checked periodically but everything is still OK.

Since the procedure I've had very few complications. I was riding again in 3 days.

A few people I know that have had abdominal surgery to fix the aneurysm have had some serious problems . They have to cut off blood flow through the legs to do this.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiclistiCliff View Post
Thanks.

I landed in the ER on a Tuesday with all the symptoms of a heart attack and stroke, but no heart attack. Cold sweats, facial numbness, chest pain, what felt like a boa constrictor on my arm and blurred vision. Spent the night in observation, passed the cardiac stress test with flying colors and was released.

Drove myself back to the ER that same week on Thursday night because all the symptoms returned as I was in bed. Spent two more days in the hospital and passed all the tests/blood work without issues. The only constant was an elevated Troponin level (enzyme which is released when there is tissue damage to the heart). The elevated Troponin is found with most cyclists or endurance athletes after events, and mine was supposedly due to riding between 7500-9200 feet for three days.

All the immediate killers were ruled out and the only thing that confirmed the enlarged aortic root was the cardiac MRI. Multiple cat scans with dye and electrocardiograms showed signs of issues, but the image quality of the MRI is much greater.

From what I understand, the only time you have symptoms of Aortic Aneurysms is when it ruptures or leaks, both situations which lead to death more often than not.
Holy crap, sounds scary, bet it is..very best outcome wished in your direction..
Old 11-10-2018, 07:18 AM
aka RAEKWON

I mean, I agree, at least you caught it it early. Definitely sounds scary and not a very fun thing to discover at 31.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:31 AM

My aneurysm came with my bi-cuspid aortic valve. They kept track of both with an echo cardiogram. They told me not to lift weights but that I could keep riding. Nobody knows how we ride so I took it upon myself to stop sprinting or closing gaps. I was symptom free until diagnosis and then I think the stress of knowing messed me up. Next week is my 8 year anniversary of aortic root repair and valve replacement.
I don't know your insurance situation, but try and get another opinion. You haven't had an echo?
Old 11-10-2018, 08:33 AM

I am sure you are flooded with emotions right now. The big take away is they found it. Far better to know than not. Hang in there.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
Mine was 5.6 cm. Absolutely no symptoms. My internist discovered it during a routine physical. I had a stent installed through the groin in 2007. I have it checked periodically but everything is still OK.

Since the procedure I've had very few complications. I was riding again in 3 days.
It's good to read about positive results post surgery. Mine is currently measured at 4.8cm, but I'm waiting on second and third opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
My aneurysm came with my bi-cuspid aortic valve. They kept track of both with an echo cardiogram. They told me not to lift weights but that I could keep riding. Nobody knows how we ride so I took it upon myself to stop sprinting or closing gaps. I was symptom free until diagnosis and then I think the stress of knowing messed me up. Next week is my 8 year anniversary of aortic root repair and valve replacement.
I don't know your insurance situation, but try and get another opinion. You haven't had an echo?
I've had three echos, all of which pointed at dilated aorta but they wanted to verify with the MRI.

I understand the stress portion, as it's wrecked havoc on me so far but the support form the local cycling community has been great and many customers have provided some great advice.

At this point, working on a will and seeing if there's an option for life insurance. Worst case scenario, I want to leave my immediate family with some help. Being positive is important. Being realistic is also important.

Best case, I get to return to regular life.

I just want to have a smooth glass of bourbon...........
Old 11-15-2018, 02:12 AM

Always good to have your affairs in order, but it sounds like you are a young man and hopefully healthy. After evaluation by a surgeon, there might be surgical and non surgical alternatives. A second opinion might be helpful as well, perhaps at a center where many of these are performed. It might not feel that way, but you could be quite lucky to have this diagnosed and treated before it gets worse.
Best of luck.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:46 AM

Enlarged aortic root is unusual at a young age. Have you had an office visit with the cardiologist? Ask him/her if your tropinin levels returned to normal. Ask if your heart is enlarged. Depending on the resources of your medical community, sometimes a pediatric cardiologist can be of use as they often have more training and experience in congenital problems of the heart and aortic root.

Good luck! You have your age and good health on your side and you’ll be OK, just take it slow and steady.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:28 AM

Take this deadly seriously..

My neighbor had one burst this summer casually biking across town to do an errand. Not an aortic aneurysm but in his brain.

He got found unconscious on the side of the road and a good samaritan called 911.

He was in the hospital about 6 weeks and had two brain surgeries. Closer to 3 months before he able to go back to work and was cleared to drive.

He's in his 30s too, not an avid cyclist but fit & healthy and had no warning signs, no family history, etc..
Old 11-15-2018, 10:25 AM
Older Than You

My surgeon told me that 5cm was the breakover point. Below 5 cm was monitored but no action. Above 5 cm corrective action and in my case at 5.6 cm immediate corrective action.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:19 PM

Cerebral aneurysms are different than thoracic aortic and from abdominal aortic aneurysms. This is a wonderful site, but the opinion of experts who treat this specific aneurysm could be more valuable. The size, position, and how fast it enlarges over time are all important factors in treatment decision making options.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:47 PM

Strongly agree with Uber above.
The positive wishes here are great but your information should come solely from your cardiothoracic surgeon. I do other types of surgery but wouldn't think of giving you advice re a thoracic aortic aneurysm.
Best of luck.