Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-10-2018, 06:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryscientist View Post
i find threads like this unbecoming.

It's a premium niche product with premium niche pricing.

As you mention, there are plenty of alternatives, if this does not suit you, no pressure to buy. Why start a thread to complain about a product that you neither need or intend to buy?
+1...
Old 10-12-2018, 10:39 AM

All sold out. You vote with your dollar.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:59 AM

King ti cages are on sale for $45.95: https://www.bikebling.com/King-Titan...ottle-cage.htm. Just sayin.'
Old 10-16-2018, 10:23 AM

Now in carbon: https://silca.cc/products/sicuro-carbon-bottle-cage.

Also new is a Super Pista digital pump: https://silca.cc/products/superpista-digital.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:36 AM

Human nature is a funny thing. I've had things on E bay listed for a low price, and they wouldn't sell. So I just figured if they weren't selling at a low price, why not try a higher price? Raise up the "perceived" value. Sometimes things sell then. It works in vehicle pricing where all kinds of notions are involved in "perceived" value.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:26 AM

I recently read an article about the guy who started the Peloton stationary bike company. When he started it he was selling them for $1200 - couldn't sell them. Raised the price to $2000 and boom. People think they are getting more/better because they are paying more.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
I recently read an article about the guy who started the Peloton stationary bike company. When he started it he was selling them for $1200 - couldn't sell them. Raised the price to $2000 and boom. People think they are getting more/better because they are paying more.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/pelot...132256225.html

Quote:
Peloton CEO John Foley tells Yahoo Finance the profitable fitness startup saw sales of its in-home exercise bike actually increase after it raised the price to $2,245.

“It was interesting psychology that we teased out,” Foley recalls. “In the very, very early days, we charged $1,200 for the Peloton bike for the first couple of months. And what turned out happening is we heard from customers that the bike must be poorly built if you’re charging $1,200 for it. We charged $2,000 dollars for it, and sales increased, because people said, ‘Oh, it must be a quality bike.’”
Old 11-14-2018, 10:48 AM
Vendor

Sorry to be late to the party, just now finding this thread!

I'm surprised to see so many people thinking this is out of line, the King Ti cages are $60, Wolftooth Ti Cages are $70 and the Supacaz Ti cages are $65, and none of them come with hardware. The SILCA cages come with US made, certified 6/4Ti bolts with oversized heads, probably the finest water bottle bolts ever offered, and an item that we sell a lot of as they improve performance of other cages as well. So relatively, I think we offer quite a lot of value in this category, and that's before you even consider the details like the laser welding technology used in the manufacturing of the product.

Whether or not you want or need Ti cages is another story altogether, but I can assure you that after building a US manufacturing facility, staffing it with skilled employees who make a living wage with benefits, all operating high quality custom machines, tooling, and aerospace laser welders, to stamp, form, cut, lathe turn, form the tube, deoxidize, butt weld, marry together, deoxidize again, plate weld, dimensionally inspect, and finally hand buff each cage for a total of more than 40 minutes of direct hand labor per cage across more than a dozen pieces of machinery, that if you were to come here and see it first hand you might wonder how the heck we can sell them for ONLY $70.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:52 AM

Hey more power to ya!

Ignore the armchair naysayers in this here little corner of the internet bike bubble. They're not your customers. Those are really nice cages you're making, and here in the U.S. no less.

Best of continued success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshatsilca View Post

I'm surprised to see so many people thinking this is out of line, the King Ti cages are $60, Wolftooth Ti Cages are $70 and the Supacaz Ti cages are $65, and none of them come with hardware. The SILCA cages come with US made, certified 6/4Ti bolts with oversized heads, probably the finest water bottle bolts ever offered, and an item that we sell a lot of as they improve performance of other cages as well. So relatively, I think we offer quite a lot of value in this category, and that's before you even consider the details like the laser welding technology used in the manufacturing of the product.

Whether or not you want or need Ti cages is another story altogether, but I can assure you that after building a US manufacturing facility, staffing it with skilled employees who make a living wage with benefits, all operating high quality custom machines, tooling, and aerospace laser welders, to stamp, form, cut, lathe turn, form the tube, deoxidize, butt weld, marry together, deoxidize again, plate weld, dimensionally inspect, and finally hand buff each cage for a total of more than 40 minutes of direct hand labor per cage across more than a dozen pieces of machinery, that if you were to come here and see it first hand you might wonder how the heck we can sell them for ONLY $70.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:20 AM

"Whether or not you want or need Ti cages is another story altogether, but I can assure you that after building a US manufacturing facility, staffing it with skilled employees who make a living wage with benefits, all operating high quality custom machines, tooling, and aerospace laser welders, to stamp, form, cut, lathe turn, form the tube, deoxidize, butt weld, marry together, deoxidize again, plate weld, dimensionally inspect, and finally hand buff each cage for a total of more than 40 minutes of direct hand labor per cage across more than a dozen pieces of machinery, that if you were to come here and see it first hand you might wonder how the heck we can sell them for ONLY $70"

Wow.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:22 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshatsilca View Post

I'm glad you replied.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
I'm glad you replied.
Agreed
Old 11-14-2018, 12:53 PM

I stopped by the Silca booth in Philly the other week just to look at the ti cage.

As a long time owner of several King ti cages (have what-8 in the house) I'm impressed with the quality of welds and overall finish.

Last edited by zap; 11-14-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avispa View Post
I was going to ask, is that cage for a Flintstones bike?
I use one on my MTB. Looks fine. Very useful for making room for two large bottles in a MTB triangle.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:14 PM

Damn, now I really need to buy something actually overpriced to go with those cages. A ti bike.

Lovely items under $100 are lovely.

Last edited by m4rk540; 11-14-2018 at 01:23 PM.