Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2021, 10:27 AM
PegoNagos

I have the Bora WTO45's on my Dogma - been on them for a few months. I have ridden a LOT of different wheels for comparison.

1. Yes, they ride better. Campagnolo hubs are the best out there (my opinion) - they just roll so damn good.

2. I wouldn't say that they feel lighter. My Bora Ultra 35 wheelsets are lighter and FEEL lighter too. When jumping out of the saddle those wheels feel like they accelerate faster. BUT the aero shape on the WTO45 wheels does roll faster - when cruising along they FEEL faster - they hold speed better - also, "because science", we know that they are actually faster. If you want wheels to actually require less watts than other wheels, the WTO45's are a great choice.

3. Aero wheels will hold speed better on less watts. That's just a fact. Light (rimmed) wheels will accelerate faster. That's just a fact too. I have had a few sets of Lightweight wheels over the years - oh my goodness they just spin up when getting out of the saddle like nothing else. BUT, they are terrible aerodynamically. Zipp and Hed wheels are great on the aero. I am a huge fan of Hed wheels actually, but they just aren't sexy to me anymore. Zipp had a history of build quality issues (hubs mostly). Factoring in everything mentioned about, the Bora WTO wheels are the only choice if your budget allows. Lemme also say that the finish on the rims is just "wow". They are beautiful.

4. Not familiar with either of those rims you mentioned above. I am a huge fan of Carbon-Ti hubs. I have had a couple of sets of Carbon-Ti hubs built to FSE rims - those were great wheels. In fact I still have a set of FSE wheels (but built to Extralite hubs). I just prefer the WTO45s.

5. WTO45's. Hands down. No question.