Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2024, 07:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Soon we only have specialized or whoever else manages to stick it out.

Personally I think a lot of this is the consumers fault for buying counterfeit crap or deals with overseas retailers or directs such as btlos.
Not sure how buying something from BTLOS had any impact on CC or PC...

Both these places relied on volume to pay their bills. When volume went down, their margins couldn't keep up with their fixed costs. I KNOW PC bought a ton of stuff from QBP, pickup from the local QBP warehouse but then sold it WAY below a margin that keeps the lights on(normally about 30-35%...divide cost by 65 or 70, MARGIN, NOT 'mark-up')...

FOR BTLOS, not sure why an asian made rim, with even a brand name hub, costs 2-3 times MORE than a wheelset from BTLOS..BTLOS isn't 'cheap counterfeit crap', other asian made wheelsets are WAY overpriced, with a $1000 decal on them.
Old 04-20-2024, 08:06 AM

I’ve no clue either. Why does gucci cost more than Uniqlo??
Old 04-20-2024, 08:57 AM

I like it when guys riding $10k bikes can’t buy a couple of tires from their local dealer.
Old 04-20-2024, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
I like it when guys riding $10k bikes can’t buy a couple of tires from their local dealer.
When you don't needlessly spend $15 extra for the same item, over time you can afford a $10K bike.
Old 04-20-2024, 10:46 AM

Not to sound like a vulture, but it says “30% off sitewide” - does this mean that they take 30% off at checkout?

Some of th items are heavily discounted already, so making it a further 30% off would seem outrageously cheap. Some other items (Onyx hubs which I covet) are less than 30% marked down, which leads me to ask this question…
Old 04-20-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Not to sound like a vulture, but it says “30% off sitewide” - does this mean that they take 30% off at checkout?

Some of th items are heavily discounted already, so making it a further 30% off would seem outrageously cheap. Some other items (Onyx hubs which I covet) are less than 30% marked down, which leads me to ask this question…
It actually says "Up to 30% off sitewide". So some items may be 0% off some may be 30% off, and others could be anywhere in the middle.

The phrasing "Up to X% off" is essentially the same as saying "No more than 30% off (and possibly less)."
Old 04-20-2024, 11:44 AM

I've used them for over 30 years, so am sorry to see them go. Along with Excel Sports, they were my main online retailers for a long time. Don't know the backroom details of their finances and ownership, but still, they were a nice small local business I supported for years. Liked getting their print catalogs back in the day, too. Was always fun to peruse the goods that way before the internet came along.
Life and business was very different when they started out.
Old 04-20-2024, 11:56 AM

Long time customer here...sad to see them go. They always had a good selection and excellent details on the options...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 04-20-2024, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
It's not too late to order a Cervelo R5 w Super Record WRL ----
I just got the email this morning with that super R5 deal.....Only $8000 marked down from $16,000 even just typing that made me laugh
Old 04-20-2024, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
It actually says "Up to 30% off sitewide". So some items may be 0% off some may be 30% off, and others could be anywhere in the middle.

The phrasing "Up to X% off" is essentially the same as saying "No more than 30% off (and possibly less)."
Ooops! The devil is in the details ! Thanks
Old 04-20-2024, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post

Which is also weird in this case since lots of items were more than 30% off before.
Old 04-20-2024, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Ooops! The devil is in the details ! Thanks

The selection of font sizes wasn't an accident:

Quote:
up to 30% Site Wide!
Old 04-20-2024, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
When you don't needlessly spend $15 extra for the same item, over time you can afford a $10K bike.
Cracked me up! But guilty as charged, I just bought two consumable type items from this GOOB sale.

I recently tried to order something via the LBS. I feel like I just wasted his time, because in the end he couldn't get me what I wanted.
Old 04-20-2024, 12:50 PM

Major purging of the recreational industry. Housing, food etc essentials limiting funds for discretionary spending. Plus market is pretty saturated.
Old 04-20-2024, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Cracked me up! But guilty as charged, I just bought two consumable type items from this GOOB sale.

I recently tried to order something via the LBS. I feel like I just wasted his time, because in the end he couldn't get me what I wanted.
I used to ask my LBS to price stuff I was looking at, but it got to the point that I just felt I was wasting their time. We both knew they couldn't meet or even come close to the prices I saw. They do get all my maintenance dollars, lately even for things I know I could do. They never squawk when I bring in parts to put on, and I tip well.