Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2019, 09:43 PM

The funny thing about the Ferrari-GM connection is.....guess who licensed GM's MR fluid suspension tech many years ago? The prancing horse.

If I recall, it first appeared on Caddy, then later found its way as an option on C5. Some years later, Ferrari licensed it.

It's pretty amazing tech--basically infinitely adjustable suspension via goop with metal particles that get magnetized in gazillionths of a second, which in turn changes the dynamic of the suspension (thick goop = stiff suspension, and so on).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
So they ripped off a Ferrari design.
I like it. But goodness, imagine the comments if this came out of asia.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:57 PM

It's interesting for sure but I don't know how I feel about it. Cars these days are getting so fast that for me it's hard to really see the point. It's not that it isn't impressive but being able to go from 0 to the speed limit in 4 seconds versus 6 seconds doesn't really matter much on a day to day basis. Things like handling, feel, and other factors seem more important but again with limits so high you'll never reach them outside of the track at a certain point it's just another number. It's hard to quantify excitement.

Sorry to sound negative and all but I'm in a weird place with cars right now.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:25 AM

one feature that I thought was impressive, that was brought out in the debut presentation, was that the front end can be raised up to two inches, like if going into a garage. also that it ties into the cars computer through GPS so that you can program the front end to raise up automatically each time you come to that situation/location.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:02 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
It's interesting for sure but I don't know how I feel about it. Cars these days are getting so fast that for me it's hard to really see the point. It's not that it isn't impressive but being able to go from 0 to the speed limit in 4 seconds versus 6 seconds doesn't really matter much on a day to day basis. Things like handling, feel, and other factors seem more important but again with limits so high you'll never reach them outside of the track at a certain point it's just another number. It's hard to quantify excitement.

Sorry to sound negative and all but I'm in a weird place with cars right now.
I bet the new C8 handles pretty damn well as well. But you are right, for day to day, 3 sec 0-60 or 6 sec means little.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:22 AM

The attention this car is getting right now....it's having quite a debut.

I love vettes and cars in general.

When you go to Motor trend's website right now 11 of the 13 clickable stories on their front page is devoted to the new corvette.

It's been the worst kept secret in the automotive world for several years now and now that it is finally here you would think the thing has jet propulsion or something.

I will give them credit for the engineering and the styling though. GM (especially chevy) products have been getting hammered with the ugly stick lately and at least this one stays true to form.

Heck a bargain and I want to drive one.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:40 AM
Head to Ned

It's not a 'vette anymore. Since it's inception Corvette has come to mean large pushrod V-8 front engine, rear wheel drive, fiberglass American muscle car. At a price that was just one step above a Z-28 Camaro, thus reachable for many if
they wanted it bad enough.

In the real world it became the midlife crisis car for the divorced guy in his 50's...

Now GM has turned it into just another Euro-type mid engine exotic. Should have named it something else.

RIP Corvette, 1953-2019
Old 07-20-2019, 06:41 AM
Registered (ab)User

An acquaintance who's been dealing with a traumatic neck injury for the past ~5 years as the result of an auto accident finally reached a settlement -- a sizeable settlement, such that he claims "I never have to work another day in my life."

First thing he did was go out and order one of those new 'Vettes.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:41 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
The attention this car is getting right now....it's having quite a debut.

I love vettes and cars in general.

When you go to Motor trend's website right now 11 of the 13 clickable stories on their front page is devoted to the new corvette.

It's been the worst kept secret in the automotive world for several years now and now that it is finally here you would think the thing has jet propulsion or something.

I will give them credit for the engineering and the styling though. GM (especially chevy) products have been getting hammered with the ugly stick lately and at least this one stays true to form.

Heck a bargain and I want to drive one.
I think they have a win with the price. Everyone knew about the mid engine corvette. We have seen it covered in that camo wrap for a while. Everyone though, oh great, a over $100k corvette is coming, yada yada.

But when GM tells people that car will start at 60k, it will make the front page for a second. I love corvettes, ever since I drove a C6. The C5 and the C6 are ugly-ish (they have grown on me over the years and I really want one right now, even over the C7 tbh) but when you drive one you realize how awesome of car it is. You quickly forget about the terrible interior and the not amazing exterior its just such a cool car. Gives me hope to maybe get a C6 Z06 for 20k

Now with the C8, people that have always wanted a super car, can afford one. Sure 60k is a lot of cash but if someone really wants one and is willing to save for a bit, its a possibility, with a lambo, you can get one for under 100k but repairs will be prohibitive. I consider the C7 a super car as well in certain ways but the C8 with its mid engine is more suited to that.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:44 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
It's not a 'vette anymore. Since it's inception Corvette has come to mean large pushrod V-8 front engine, rear wheel drive, fiberglass American muscle car. At a price that was just one step above a Z-28 Camaro, thus reachable for many if

In the real world it became the midlife crisis car for the divorced guy in his 50's...

Now GM has turned it into just another Euro-type mid engine exotic. Should have named it something else.

RIP Corvette, 1953-2019
lol. It would be RIP corvette if they kept with the stuff you are talking about. GM needs to sell cars, not please to the nostalgia retro grouch crowd. I could understand what you are talking about if GM put a V6 twin turbo on that thing but they kept with a good ole V8. Also by the welcoming reaction the car is getting obviously they got it right and there will be a few of you naysayers.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:07 AM
Administrator

where is this car being assembled? one plant or multiple?
Old 07-20-2019, 07:42 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
So they ripped off a Ferrari design.
I like it. But goodness, imagine the comments if this came out of asia.
Already been done...'they' did it with motorcycles..from big fat cruisers to street burners that look like a exact copy of the Ducati 90 degree twin motor...

so..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-1405682225-aurelio-supercar-05.jpg (35.1 KB, 143 views)
Old 07-20-2019, 07:52 AM

As you now, Corvette was meant to be mid-engined 50+ years ago under Duntov!

Re: the midlife crisis comment, yes and no on that one. The perspective depends on your own personal experience. My father had a '66, when he was young. Boy do I wish I had that car (sadly, he wrecked it). I have numerous friends of varying generations (mostly older) who've been collectors their whole lives.

For many years, the Vette was an aspirational and attainable American sports car for the middle class. Older ones could be had for a song and fixed up, newer ones achievable when the last of the kids went off to college and FINALLY a 2-seat sports car with a big ol' V8 could be had.

GM is addressing the future market because they have to. The core of buyer base is, sadly, starting to pass on. Quite a few of my older friends who are (or in some cases, were) Vette collectors are simply unable to even get into their Vettes, to the extent they still have them. Buddy of mine sold off his stunning collection assembled and restored over many decades, his knees just couldn't take the ingress/egress anymore.

Besides, I'd rather see a mid-engine Vette vs. no Vette!

R3awak3n: for the record, a road bike fits just fine in the trunk of a C5Z, both wheels removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post

RIP Corvette, 1953-2019
Old 07-20-2019, 07:53 AM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
where is this car being assembled? one plant or multiple?
Likely, Bowling Green only. If I was a betting man.
Home of the Vette.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:31 AM

its a new design and a GM so its a sure thing there'll be plenty of quality issues.

imho it s butt ugly.

Last edited by dancinkozmo; 07-20-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:52 AM

All cars are assembled in Bowling Green. GM made a huge investment at the facility to enlarge it, so they plan to build plenty of C8 cars.

My C7 was an early model with a VIN number in the 2000+ range. I had no quality problems at all. No squeaks or rattles and nothing broke in 4.5 years (but only 5600 miles) of use.

Last edited by Dave; 07-20-2019 at 03:50 PM.