Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2019, 09:37 AM

Switching from ios to android advice

I've been a long time user of Apple devices with the exception of one old tablet and a brief stint on an android phone somewhere around five years ago. I'm looking at getting a new phone and handing my current apple phone off to my middle son and have been thinking about moving to a Pixel 3. I'm contemplating the switch because the Pixel 3 seems cheaper than comparable Apple devices and I don't really see that there is much difference between the iPhone XR and the Pixel 3 (correct me if I'm wrong here).

The concern that I have is that I have all my data backed up in the icloud. This includes, photos, files etc. In addition, the family and I use the icloud and related apple features to share photos and other files. I'm wondering if there is 1) a way to use an android device with icloud and 2) if anyone has experience using the apple itunes app on android that has also used it on an iOS device?

Any general comments on the wisdom to do or not do this would also be appreciated.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:50 AM

Seems like it would be worth a few hundred to avoid the hassle and stick to what you're used to.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:59 AM

I migrated a few years ago. The transition was somewhat painless as Motorola had a migration app that transferred most (not all) stuff from the Apple ecosystem into the Google one.

Reality is for some of the iCloud stuff you're going to have to migrate it. One option for photos was downloading Google Photos onto my iPhone and migrating files that way. A bit clunky but it worked.

iTunes? Good luck. You're committing to Google Play at that point, but I've found the content mostly the same.

But yes, you're making the choice between sitting in Google's ecosystem or Apple's. I didn't see much in the price premium to justify spending for the iPhone anymore over a Motorola or other Android device that gave my all the functionality I needed at far lower cost.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Personally i'm happy with the Apple system, and since my work phone is also apple i'm sticking with that. my wife's old 5SE is finally dead and she just bought a new i Phone7.

for me, i'm not interested in having the absolute latest greatest phone and when i'm paying for it i'll always choose the older generation for a big $$ savings. i think her new 7 was about 350 bucks. that works for me for an everyday use item.

i have two iPhone 7's that i use every day and they have been super solid. water resistant too.

so: that's what i would do. just buy another apple phone but not the top of the line model.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:54 AM

How do you feel about giving even more of your data to Google? I know it's a loaded question but at least Apple pretends to care about privacy. Everyone I know who switched from an iPhone to an Android device regretted it. With that said, if you're going to buy an Android device it's best to go with a Pixel because Google does take system security seriously.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:12 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
How do you feel about giving even more of your data to Google? I know it's a loaded question but at least Apple pretends to care about privacy. Everyone I know who switched from an iPhone to an Android device regretted it. With that said, if you're going to buy an Android device it's best to go with a Pixel because Google does take system security seriously.
And you'll get the latest updates. This is very valuable.

I have a Pixel 2, always have had androids. Haven't had any major problems.

I admit though, Apple's public statements on privacy make it an attractive choice. At the same time, if you aren't using VPNs, PrivacyBadger, uBlock, etc. most of the big tech companies probably already know a lot more about you than you'd like.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:14 AM
tailgunning

Quote:

the great myth perpetrated by being intensely secretive about their policies (case in point, apple maps + yelp is an absurd and unnecessary integration). i do find it somewhat ironic that google's transparency about openly using data backfires from a PR perspective.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
This is an excellent point. I'm not sure if Apple cares more or less but they've found a way to exploit this for marketing purposes.

One more question that I was thinking of earlier and forgot to ask. Does the eye recognition feature on the newer apple phones work well to unlock your phone when you are out riding? I find that I'm often sweaty or have gloves on and unlocking my phone to take a pic or check messages is a pita.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:31 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

I have used Pixel devices for 2+ years and really enjoy them (currently on iphone xs). I had been an iphone user for 3 years before that. The transition is easy, google has a "handoff" app that migrates all of your messages/photos etc.

One thing to note, I intentionally don't want my services tied to my hardware. As such, I use google for most "cloud" things as they are system agnostic. IE google photos works on any device and in any "ecosystem." As does gmail. For music and such I use Spotify (also system/hardware agnostic).

Migrating away from apple cloud storage for photos might take some forethought before you move to google.

Suffice it to say, for me, migration back and forth has been easy as all of my important stuff (photos/music/notes/email) are not bound by the OS of the device itself.

One other thing to note, the pixel camera is fantastic. The photos it takes is much better than my iphone xs. The iphone takes great pictures as well, but there are some low light/mixed light situations where the pixel just takes better pictures. For me, that's important. For others it's not. You can decide. Aside from that, i find very little functional difference between them.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:43 PM
Older Than You

My last i phone was a 4s. Since then I've used Samsung and presently LG phones. Never understood the iphone mystique.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:50 PM

Consider the CAT S-61. By far the most rugged phone I have ever owned. This is absolutely a phenomenal machine https://cat.factoryoutletstore.com/c...3/CAT-S61.html

It MEETS BOTH MIL Spec 810G and IP69! Tough phone...

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/cat-s61

Built in THERMAL IMAGER
Built in LASER RANGE FINDER
Built in Volatile Organic Compound (AIR Quality) sensor

And it does everything an android phone can do... PLUS work underwater... not just water proof, but the camera actually has a setting to WORK UNDERWATER, disabling the touchscreen, and using dedicated buttons. It is rated to work to 3 meters underwater for an hour. Not just dropped in water, but taking pictures and video... can your iphone do that?

Best phone I have EVER owned.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:03 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
....One more question that I was thinking of earlier and forgot to ask. Does the eye recognition feature on the newer apple phones work well to unlock your phone when you are out riding? I find that I'm often sweaty or have gloves on and unlocking my phone to take a pic or check messages is a pita.
We upgraded our phones from iphone 7's to iphone X's a couple months ago.

You mentioned giving your phone to your son, but you might check to see what the trade in value is...we got about $150 per phone. There was also some promotion going on as we...ended up being an OK deal with Verizon...I think....overall payment is less than when we were still paying for the 7's. they also sell refurbished iphones for pretty cheap if you want one for your son.

Back to your "eye recognition" question.....it works better than I expected. Even when I am wearing eyeglasses, sunglasses and cycling glasses. If it does not recognize you, it move to the passcode screen pretty quickly.

It does not work well when phone is inside a plastic baggy (with my ID and cash) for rides...

BTW - does anyone else think that getting new phones feels like buying a car? Takes forever, tons of paperwork, still pretty sure they pull credit reports even though we've been Verizon customers for about 20 yrs, confusing pricing and promotions....I swear at the end I was not sure what paid for. Eventually reconciled the billing but it was not easy...
Old 07-17-2019, 01:10 PM

May be too late now, but amazon was having a fantastic deal on Pixel 3s for Prime Days that ended yesterday. I even considered switching.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:25 PM

One more - Can your phone survive this? https://www.fwi.co.uk/machinery/tech...tphone-on-test

or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKrFjdR2P9M

Last edited by Dekonick; 07-20-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:52 PM

it's different for sure. but i liken it to moving out from your parents' house. you give up a ready made environment where everything is laid out (dictated) for you to a world with more independence. less automation and more granular control, including the ability to brick the device.
if you do it, just be ready to do it completely. it's not practical to hang on to bits of the apple universe while on android. in fact, it's far easier to integrate apple users into the googleverse for things like photo sharing.

Quote:
Everyone I know who switched from an iPhone to an Android device regretted it.
opposite experience for me. everyone i know who's made the jump can't believe they waited so long to cut the umbilical cord, myself included.