Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2019, 11:33 AM

Can cruiser bikes save the industry and possibly sport?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...I2O/story.html

“The first day I got my bike, I rode it for eight hours,” Nathan says. “Now I ride it for a minimum three to five hours a day.”
Old 07-19-2019, 12:17 PM

I love the trend. There are a few packs of kids around here that ride them everywhere in town. They love there bikes as much as most of us do. I’ve gotten to know a few of the kids that ride and it’s cool seeing them all over. Great exercise, the bikes are a blast to ride as well. Something about smaller wheels, no gears....I’d invest in SE, everyone rides that brand.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:59 PM

I drive through Lynn all the time and I have seen those kids cruising around a couple of times. I love seeing kids out riding bikes but like the article mentions, they are riding wheelies in the streets, cutting in and out of traffic. These aren't sleepy streets either they are pretty busy.

I'm afraid this will not end well.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45K10 View Post
I drive through Lynn all the time and I have seen those kids cruising around a couple of times. I love seeing kids out riding bikes but like the article mentions, they are riding wheelies in the streets, cutting in and out of traffic. These aren't sleepy streets either they are pretty busy.

I'm afraid this will not end well.

This leads us into the discussion of the differences between "cyclists" and "people on bikes". I feel like 90% of the public drama around cycling is from "people of bikes"... But maybe that's just me being a cynical cyclist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-21-2019, 06:28 AM

>>>I feel like 90% of the public drama around cycling is from "people of bikes"... But maybe that's just me being a cynical cyclist.

Living near a major bike trail, I would tend to disagree, it is the cyclists that tend to blow stops and piss off drivers since they want to keep their average speed up.

Kids are different matter and complex, middle of Lynn (lower income highly compressed outside of Boston for those who don't know) when kids leave their house where can they go? This exact thing happened during BMX and skateboard eras