Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2019, 10:26 AM

eTap 11 - rear der. issues/need help

I've had eTap 11 speed for the last two years - fault free until recently.

Wondering if the PL cognoscenti have any insight here...

Basically, when riding along, I'll shift the rear der. and it won't respond. Shifting from the levers - left/lower gear or right/higher gear - has no response. On one ride - about halfway home with a lot of big climbs left - I got off the bike in frustration and pushed the button on the rear der. (the green light lit up) and then it began to shift again.

The front der. shifts no problem, so I don't think it's a lever issue.

The challenge of course is that it is intermittent. On some rides it does not occur. And on some rides it does. It does make me wary of taking this bike out on long rides or feisty group rides.

I've given all units a full charge, so it's not a power issue.

Any thoughts? Should I re-pair to the rear der.? Could I have a bum unit whose problems are only manifesting now?

Thanks

m_b
Old 07-04-2019, 10:59 AM

If you've had it for two years, you might want to replace the batteries in the shifters. They use type CR2032. I'd start there.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass_biker View Post

Basically, when riding along, I'll shift the rear der. and it won't respond. Shifting from the levers - left/lower gear or right/higher gear - has no response. On one ride - about halfway home with a lot of big climbs left - I got off the bike in frustration and pushed the button on the rear der. (the green light lit up) and then it began to shift again.

The challenge of course is that it is intermittent. On some rides it does not occur. And on some rides it does. It does make me wary of taking this bike out on long rides or feisty group rides.

Any thoughts? Should I re-pair to the rear der.? Could I have a bum unit whose problems are only manifesting now?

Thanks

m_b
Widespread occurrence thats solved by cleaning the rear derailleur pivot points. If it gets gunked up after a lot of use the derailleur won’t shift well since it feels resistance.

Weightweenies forum has a long thread about this exact issue. Do a search for etap rear derailleur shifting and it’ll be the top result.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:23 AM

I've had a similar issue with my etap and the only way to get it shifting again is to hop my back wheel and bang it starts working. I assumed the battery contacts were dirty but the pivot points being gummed up makes sense.

Last edited by bcroslin; 07-04-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:53 PM

Have a read of this thread over on weight weenies.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...fa6f7c3d9be1d3

There doesn't seem to be a solution to it other than buying a new one, unfortunately.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:42 PM

One of the posts from the WW forum mentions going through 4 wifli derailleurs. My derailleur is wifli. Mass_Biker, is yours wifli?
Old 07-04-2019, 07:08 PM

Mine started to do that then it totally died. Just out of warranty but Sram covered it, new rear der sent out. I think it was a bit of an issue on all of the first run G1 units. This was not specifically said to me by Sram, but was inferred. Contact Sram, they were great
Old 07-05-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Thanks

m_b
Sram very aware of this. I had to warranty 3 derailleurs till i get one working.
They are awesome and will take care of you. Price to pay for new technology.
The first two derailleurs had the exact same issue you had.
The third one is working amazing for the past 10months. not skipping one.
Don't lose too much sleep. install the new one you get rom SRAM and you will be all set.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreParagon View Post
Sram very aware of this.

Price to pay for new technology.
Is it too much to expect SRAM to sort this issue out before they sell it to consumers?
Old 07-05-2019, 04:07 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
Is it too much to expect SRAM to sort this issue out before they sell it to consumers?
Called beta testers, not the first time.......first gen disc brakes.
‘They really took care of me as they sent 3 derailleurs to me, the last one has worked FLAWLESSLY....
Yikes
Old 07-05-2019, 06:07 PM

I had this same issue. Because I have a gear readout on my bike computer, and that still worked, I knew the rear derailleur was still alive (all signals come from the RD). But it would stop shifting occasionally, usually just for a few seconds, but finally it happened for several minutes. I repaired with the shifters and it worked again, but then broke again. This is on a derailleur that is about 16 mos old.

My LBS called SRAM and they warrantied it without hesitation, indication that this is a problem they have seen before. New one works fine so far.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:18 PM

I followed all instructions per PL wisdom:

- clean
- lube

i.e. remove all resistance to execute a shift.

Two rides were fine-ish...some hesitation, but it generally completed the shift. But on today's jaunt it just froze and refused to shift. So it's in the shop and we'll see.

On tomorrow's group ride taking out the ~15 year old C50 with mech. dA. Some things just work I guess!

m_b
Old 07-05-2019, 10:31 PM

Wifli

I just replaced my 3 month old rear derailleur (warranty) as I had the same issues. On my last ride using the malfunctioning derailleur I just removed the battery then put it back in and it worked the rest of the ride but decided to move forward and replace it. Rode new one today...no problems then aga8n that’s only one ride.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:19 PM

etap rear der - follow up

Just to post fellow PLers - rear mech stopped dead even after cleaning, lubing etc. My shop ended up replacing it via SRAM no questions asked. Say this much for SRAM...good service. So far so good on the new mech. Thanks for all your input. Now on the lookout for another grouppo to build up another rig...
Old 07-21-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Just to post fellow PLers - rear mech stopped dead even after cleaning, lubing etc. My shop ended up replacing it via SRAM no questions asked. Say this much for SRAM...good service. So far so good on the new mech. Thanks for all your input. Now on the lookout for another grouppo to build up another rig...

Well done. Glad it worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk