Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
I don’t see how it’s only worth 800 when the super record group on its own is worth close to that, but I guess bikes aren’t moving. That said there weren’t a lot of merckxs at eroica, someone would definitely want it I’d think, hard to imagine selling it for less than 1k although I’d change the saddle and adjust everything to look more aesthetically pleasing and take good pics, get matching tires, etc... with the right presentation it will sell.

Inverse logic when dealing with assembled bikes past a certain age. Complete bikes are generally worth less than the sum of there parts. Want max value? Prepare to sit on it for a very long time, or part it out. Part out takes your time and is more of a hassle and typically leaves you with two or three leftover parts. Repainted frame is a ding on value.
Unless it's an exceptional or significant bike.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
I don’t see how it’s only worth 800 ........... I’d change the saddle and adjust everything to look more aesthetically pleasing and take good pics, get matching tires, etc... with the right presentation it will sell.
As above parting it out would give you more cash back but would take a lot more effort. If you put in more money plus a lot of time to make it more desirable (it's not really a collectable) and hit a lustful buyer you would get more than 800 for a complete bike, but time is money too. Bikes are like mini boats, something to throw money at, not make money on.

Last edited by kiwisimon; 07-21-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:06 PM

SR group on its own not worth close to that. If it sells. Not everyone is looking for 6 speed friction with a big inner chainring. For Eroica (if you've actually ridden it, you'll know what I mean).

Wheelsets are tough, especially tubular. But even nice clincher wheelsets are going begging at $175.

The frameset is nicely finished, but not 'fancy' e.g. no chrome.

Look, a couple of years ago, a bike like that would go for $1200-1500 easy. Today, not so much.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:39 PM

The last two super record groups I sold on eBay went for 700-800 but I guess that was a good 5-6 years ago. True about the eroica gearing, I have ridden it and did the long route and it would have been hard with 42-26 as the lowest gear, but lots of people don’t do the hard route so they could make it with whatever.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:10 AM

Thanks all!

My sincere thanks to all for your thoughtful feedback. I really appreciate it!

Best,

Taylor

SF CA
Old 07-25-2019, 02:19 PM

https://www.steel-vintage.com/bicycl...rckx-bicycles/

Here's a link for similar bicycles for sale.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:16 PM

Hmmmmmm. But. That's SVB.
All of their bikes for sale have been totally gone thru and refurbished. They're guaranteed. Plus they are a bricks and mortar establishment with rent to pay and employees on the payroll. Notorious for super high prices.

I mean, just to put things in perspective.