Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2020, 01:54 PM

OT: RMNP Knowledge

Anyone here real familiar with Rocky Mtn Nat. Park?

I'll be in Colorado starting this coming Thursday (for maybe a week or so) and am considering a hike and overnight into the park if it's not too cold or snowy. I'm prone to wanting a backcountry site but I am traveling this part of my trip solo. I've looked into the situation with reservations due to Covid with Timed entry etc.

What I am wondering is if anyone had a route/loop that I could do either in and out or a loop with potentially two nights. I know it's cold (playing things a bit by ear because you know, who knows). The other option is to procure a campsite at one of the campgrounds and do one or two day hikes from there giving me a bit more of a basecamp idea etc.

Anyone? I'm more interested in being in the hills (no need to bag any 14'ers or anything this trip) but I don't want a 3-4 mile hike either.

Also, I am still not sure if I am bringing a bike with me due to lack of flexibility in terms of leaving my car as I travel to and from Chicago. The route home is unplanned and might hit Smoky Mtn. Nat Park on way home if I feel like running the gauntlet into what are being called hotspots for the Covid.

It's been years since being in the park but I feel like it should be safe inside the park in back of my wagon with wheels off and stowed under the cover etc. Fair to say? I think it's other locations where I'd worry more but hey maybe that's life and what insurance is for. Depending on the weather I may haul a pile of stuff with me but not even use it but you never can tell this time of year.

Cheers
Old 09-28-2020, 02:15 PM

Which side of the park are you planning on hiking from?
My parents live in Grand Lake. Got a text this morning that the dogs water bowl was frozen solid and was currently 20 degrees.
There are numerous great day hikes right out of GL where you can get serious mileage and elevation plus a good dinner and a warm bed at the end of the day.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Anyone here real familiar with Rocky Mtn Nat. Park?

I'll be in Colorado starting this coming Thursday (for maybe a week or so) and am considering a hike and overnight into the park if it's not too cold or snowy. I'm prone to wanting a backcountry site but I am traveling this part of my trip solo. I've looked into the situation with reservations due to Covid with Timed entry etc.
Go here. I won't mention specific names, but there are plenty of people who live near, or have backpacked many times, in RMNP. Ask in the Trailhead Register. You'll get more responses there than in the Mountain States forum, which isn't visited frequently enough.

https://bpbasecamp.freeforums.net/
Old 09-28-2020, 07:38 PM

There's been some closures of some trails in the park due to the Cameron Peak wildfire. https://www.nps.gov/romo/learn/fire-...egulations.htm

You may not want to do much hiking anywhere in the park if it's too smokey.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:06 AM

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:05 PM

Echoing others’ mention of weather, but fwiw my in-laws have a place in Estes so I’ve done all the ‘best’ hikes according to popular consensus. Last trip there we decided to check out the less popular western side of the park and did 2 nights at a site called snowbird. I preferred the experience to those I’ve had on the East side. Didn’t see another soul the entire time, which can hardly be said for the other side, at least during “normal” conditions.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:08 PM

not snowy yet, but very smoky depending on what way the wind is blowing

getting cold too- i live at 6700’ and it’s been in the 20s the last couple mornings
Old 09-29-2020, 11:09 PM

Northern sections of the park are closed due to Cameron Peak For and there is a State wide fire ban in place. Not sure that your need a fire, but thought it was worth mentioning. I love in NoCo, but haven't spent a ton of time in the park.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:56 PM

If you go mid week, shouldn’t be a problem getting last minute reservations as long as your flexible. I just got back from the north inlet area, 3 nights(July,pine Martin, big pool). Too early for meaningful snow and 20’s at night are very refreshing and easily doable.
I’ll be going again this week to wild basin area(thunder lake, pine ridge, pear lake).

Just remember you need a bear canister until end of the month, I did get stopped and asked to show mine this spring in the mummy range.

As of of 10/13 timed entry reservations are not needed.

Smoke is not as bad in the park as it is Fort Collins!