Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2020, 11:37 AM

Ti Fargo anyone?

Has anybody here built up a Ti Fargo? If so what was your impression of it? Ride? Overall quality, etc..

I am contemplating building one up in a light fashion to use on rougher stuff, and some potential long distance solo efforts. I had a Cutthroat that I sold and loved the ride on that. I was hoping the ride of the Fargo would be similar, but still fast and efficient unloaded with the proper tires.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:22 PM

I don't think many people would really consider a Fargo to be "fast" compared to lighter, tighter gravel bikes out there, but it can hold it's own. It is an absolute workhorse that is comfortable, can carry a load but still handle well without out (unlike Surly LHT), and cover anything from single-track bikepacking to unloaded credit card highway touring.

I have the steel version and would absolutely love to find a Ti someday. It's so dang customizable to fit whatever you're going to do with it. I talked with an old-timer on a long three-day gravel ride who had one set up with Jones bars and a belt drive with Rohloff hub. He couldn't praise it highly enough. It would be great with a much leaner build as well.

The Cutthroat would probably be better going fast if unloaded on gravel, but I'd think the Fargo would outperform it under pretty much any other circumstances.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:30 PM

I've had both

I've had a couple of Ti Fargos and a number of Cutthroats (including one for sale here). The Cutthroat is not fast/light by any means, but it is much faster/lighter than the Fargo. The Fargo is a beast and will handle any terrain you can throw at it, while the Cutthroat is a little more all-purpose. Put in practical terms, I could see the Cutthroat as a single-bike solution more so than the Fargo. In terms of bikepacking, both are good, but I think the Cutty is more oriented toward bags versus racks. Both are comfortable, but the Cutty soaks up bumps a bit better than the Fargo. Both are durable, but you can't beat Ti for a forever material. Bottom line: you can't go wrong with either. Both great bikes.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
I've had a couple of Ti Fargos and a number of Cutthroats (including one for sale here). The Cutthroat is not fast/light by any means, but it is much faster/lighter than the Fargo. The Fargo is a beast and will handle any terrain you can throw at it, while the Cutthroat is a little more all-purpose. Put in practical terms, I could see the Cutthroat as a single-bike solution more so than the Fargo. In terms of bikepacking, both are good, but I think the Cutty is more oriented toward bags versus racks. Both are comfortable, but the Cutty soaks up bumps a bit better than the Fargo. Both are durable, but you can't beat Ti for a forever material. Bottom line: you can't go wrong with either. Both great bikes.
Awesome comments. I did see yours for sale a few days back. I’d be looking for either one to be “fast” in a sense long distance in longer routes. I know either one won’t be fast in a modern gravel sense. Although I did use my old cutty on a couple fast 1 day gravel rides. In either frame I’d build it up very light, and use bags for sure, never a rack. When doing overnights I travel pretty light, 10-12 pounds is about the norm. This will also be ridden unloaded a good portion of the time.

Did you find the Fargo to be too sluggish that in a bikepacking race type event it would hinder your overall time any? I know it’s not all about the bike as people do these events on heavy steel bikes and rake in incredible times.

Last edited by Overshot; 10-01-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:05 AM

I had a Ti Fargo and very much enjoyed it. The welds, paint (German Flag colors) and finish were all excellent. But I will echo the comments, it was a heavy bike, stout might be a good descriptor. It’s a frame that will take a beating and last a lifetime (or 3) but light and agile it’s not, which is not a slam as that’s not what the bike was intended to be.

My road bike now is a T-Lab R3 which will take up to 32mm tires so with two wheelsets I ride that bike 90% of the time. I went from the Fargo to a Niner RLT steel frame which I also really liked. But then I finally gave in and got a Salsa Warbird and that bike is truly remarkable. Unfair to compare that frame to the Fargo, bikes with two different purposes. And while I miss the titanium frame in terms of bling and durability, I sure don’t miss the weight.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:44 AM

I have 3 x Fargo Ti bikes in the family. The first one was built specifically to be a "fast" gravel race bike. I think was probably the first one in the wild built with a carbon Niner fork. The overall build is very light in relative terms and the ride quality is very good based on feedback from all 3 family members as well as my time on one. You can make a Faro Ti "fast enough" if that is the goal, IMHO.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overshot View Post
Awesome comments. I did see yours for sale a few days back. I’d be looking for I either one to be “fast” in a sense long distance in longer routes. I know either one won’t be fast in a modern gravel sense. Although I did use my old cutty on a couple fast 1 day gravel rides. In either frame I’d build it up very light, and use bags for sure, never a rack. When doing overnights I travel pretty light, 10-12 pounds is about the norm. This will also be ridden unloaded a god portion of the time.

Did you find the Fargo to be too sluggish that in a bikepacking race type event it would hinder your overall time any? I know it’s not all about the bike as people do these events on heavy steel bikes and rake in incredible times.
If I was doing a bikepacking race with bags and had to choose between the two, I would go with the Cutthroat as it was designed for that exact purpose (the Tour Divide, specifically). If I wasn't racing, either bike would be fine, but all things being equal, the Cutty will be faster.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin75s View Post
I have 3 x Fargo Ti bikes in the family.
This begs for a photo! Especially with all three of them lined up together!
Old 10-01-2020, 01:02 PM

Thanks for the spot on comments all!
I should have mentioned I would not be using this for all around road and gravel use. I have a Bingham Built set up pretty light and aggressive that is my daily driver. I’ve got 32’s on there now but can take up to 42’s. I do also realize the Salsa Ti frame will be nowhere near as light or high quality as Brads work.

I’d be looking for this for more chunky gravel, and longer multi day off road type things. Think tour divide, VT Super 8, etc. When loaded down for a longer trip I travel pretty light with probably 15lbs max extra gear. I’d also like it to be as spry as possible riding it unloaded. The added burlyness of the Fargo is appealing, but the lightness and efficiency of the Cutthroat is definitely appealing.

If there are any other comments on comparing the 2 I’d love to hear it. Thanks again