Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 07:18 PM

bummer. i was looking forward to retiring out there with a 427 cobra and a hitch mounted bike rack as my daily driver.

am sure newsome is being chauffeured by electric cars right now, doing his part for the people of course.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:22 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
Gasoline is nowhere near maxed out.. to whit: in 2007, a $5k kit gets you a 100MPG Lincoln Continental with double the HP and 80% less emissions. https://www.fastcompany.com/60868/motorhead-messiah We're just not looking for this stuff, the military sure is when diesel at point of use is $300+/gallon.. Electrical generation has been hampered by the adverse affects (duck curve for PV) of intermittency of even a modest (~10%) of renewables. That's why CA has both higher emissions and a worse mix on generation (not to mention higher consumer costs) of electricity vs 20 years ago. I wish it were simpler, but it's not.
Great read. What is that dude up to these days? Got a couple diesel vehicles I'd love to convert one day...
Old 09-27-2020, 07:25 PM

Got to start somewhere. I applaud the move.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:26 PM
aka mbrt

Producing electricity or gasoline has an environmental impact...what about... what's blowing out of your tailpipe...what's that impact?

Ray
Old 09-27-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
Yep, at least someone is doing something.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:42 PM

So my almost 8000# diesel truck with 270,000 miles isn’t environmentally friendly - glad I don’t live in CALIFORNIA. Most of my career has been in the gas turbine combustion air filtration Business- a Westinghouse 501 gas turbine produces around 230 MW of electricity and if they have to run it on diesel it only uses 6000 gal/hr😧
Old 09-27-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
It amazes me how many otherwise-eco-conscious people (my parents, for example) have no clue where their household electricity comes from...or that its even possible to CHOOSE where it comes from.

If you arent getting your power from wind/solar that tesla isnt doing sh*t to improve the situation.

Also, I would sincerely hope that by 2035 we have something TRULY sustainable figured out...im no expert but i feel like the long-term environmental impact of today's electric vehicles is still a pretty big question mark.
except even the worst fossil fuel energy plants are several times more efficient than your car motor. Power your Tesla off a coal powered plant based electricity is far better than buying gas at the pump, but obviously not as good as renewable electricity.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
bummer. i was looking forward to retiring out there with a 427 cobra and a hitch mounted bike rack as my daily driver.

am sure newsome is being chauffeured by electric cars right now, doing his part for the people of course.
This is NEW car sales. You can still buy your cobra bud.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:56 PM
DELETE ACCNT

mandating ev sales, while taking away all state incentives is not a move to help anyone. It's politics.
The only people who benefit from our tax dollars, are those that never needed the ev incentives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
Old 09-27-2020, 09:02 PM

Gov. Newsom did this by executive order. Who made him dictator? California has some huge impediments in order to implement this. The largest utility, PG&E, is in bankruptcy. We just recently had rolling blackouts during a heatwave because demand exceeded supply. That showed the failure of green power. We still need fossil fueled plants because there's no practical, cheap way to store solar power for use at night, for example. We already pay among the highest utility rates in the country. Who is going to pay for improvements needed to the power grid and increased power generation to support this? Where's the charging infrastructure? How are the millions living in apartments going to charge their cars? Unless you live in a single family home, preferably with a garage, how are you going to charge your car? Electric cars need greater range, battery costs need to come down, and charging time needs to be reduced to be the equal to gasoline powered cars. 15 years isn't a long enough time period to implement all of this.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:05 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Step 1: destroy our massive desert resource and put up solar farms
Step 2: funnel billions to private sector businesses and buying electricity
Step 3: rolling blackouts just become blackouts.
Step 4: buy gas powered generators for lights and recharge your EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Gov. Newsom did this by executive order. Who made him dictator? California has some huge impediments in order to implement this. The largest utility, PG&E, is in bankruptcy. We just recently had rolling blackouts during a heatwave because demand exceeded supply. That showed the failure of green power. We still need fossil fueled plants because there's no practical, cheap way to store solar power for use at night, for example. We already pay among the highest utility rates in the country. Who is going to pay for improvements needed to the power grid and increased power generation to support this? Where's the charging infrastructure? How are the millions living in apartments going to charge their cars? Unless you live in a single family home, preferably with a garage, how are you going to charge your car? Electric cars need greater range, battery costs need to come down, and charging time needs to be reduced to be the equal to gasoline powered cars. 15 years isn't a long enough time period to implement all of this.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:08 PM
Descent fitness

Banning the sale of new gasoline cars in 14 years seems laudable and very doable to me. I think in California, as well as many parts of the US we will live in a whole new paradigm of local and residential energy capture and storage. EV transportation, as well as other alternate powered will be far beyond our current thought processes. We aren’t even aware of what will be out there. An environmentally friendly system of energy generation will be key, of course.
I post this as a hopeful Californian who is not wearing a tinfoil hat.

Last edited by Steve in SLO; 09-27-2020 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:14 PM

Numbers are interesting

The state does seem to be doing a decent job moving towards renewables. Screen shot from wiki was the quickest table I could find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg power.jpg (77.7 KB, 164 views)
Old 09-27-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
Step 1: destroy our massive desert resource and put up solar farms
Step 2: funnel billions to private sector businesses and buying electricity
Step 3: rolling blackouts just become blackouts.
Step 4: buy gas powered generators for lights and recharge your EV
Perhaps it won't be your problem. Do you plan to live much past 2035?
Old 09-27-2020, 09:28 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Destroying our deserts to put in solar panels is a zero sum gain, and probably far far worse for the environment

There is no magical power source. There are bad choices and worse ones.

Newsome is following a tradition of California "leading" they way in regards to automotive legislation.
I completely disagree with this move. It's political and nothing to do with the environment.
Closed Thread