Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2020, 03:30 PM

Sealants for on-road tubular repair?

After a couple of fails with Vitorria Pit Stop, I am looking for suggestions on a sealant that, in conjunction, with an Co2 inflator can fix a tubular flat to get one back home.

Looking for something that can go in a saddle bag and work either with or without valve core in. I run tubulars with latex tubes, and don't think a plug is a solution but for tubeless tires.

And no, a pre-glued spare is not the response I am looking for.

I used to put some Stan's in the tubulars as a preventative measure but was advised against that.

Less worried about salvaging the tire and using until it wears out...just about getting inflated and home.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:35 PM

Curious to hear more about your experiences with Vittoria Pitstop. Latex or butyl tubes?
Old 09-27-2020, 03:42 PM

Latex tubes.

My issue may be user error, but both times I have tried, the sealant/foam did not seem to get thru the valve and into the tube. Instead, it sprayed over everything made a mess and obviously did not do its thing.

I am looking at other sealants plus Co2 to avoid the propellant in the Vittoria and have some control over the flow.

Spare cans and spare tires are an expensive way to practice technique.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:50 PM

I carry a bottle of orange seal and a valve removal tool in my kit bag I use when riding my tubular equipped bikes. Plan is to give it a try if I ever get a flat. It has a tube that goes over the valve stem to dispense the solution.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:57 PM

I Just Run...

Orange Seal in my Tubulars. Costs me a hundred or so grams per tire, but seems to reduce drastically the number flats. Also carry a separate small bottle of Orange Seal, and carry a spare tubular.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:13 PM

Saw a nice small packet with a valve attachment made by Muc Off for tubeless.

Any reason this wouldn't work with tubulars with latex tubes?
Old 09-27-2020, 04:15 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Maybe some of this diatribe following can be helpful..

I am only using tubeless tubulars at this point. I did use Stans in some new butyl tubes clements and 1st ride out got a glass meteor that sealed to 40 PSI and spit out the sealant plug 3 times waiting longer each time @ 40 before pumping up further and spitting out the plug and more sealant.

At that point I thought I'd forget the idea, this was years back. I did not know about Pit Stop then, and not used myself. It took tubeless to get me back on the band wagon. One set I installed with Stans [25mm LGGs] and another I carry 2oz bottle with me along with a mini tire plug kit [30mm Challenge Strada Bs].

I can not comment to effectiveness just yet, I am still early on in the tubeless tubular game. 100 miles so far between two above tires, literally new. Have some PDX CX that are also tubeless that have no sealant or punctures as of yet. But super low use, which I expect to change this time of the year...
Old 09-27-2020, 04:23 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Side note: seems a CO2 blast of pressure and a sealed hole is a fail waiting to occur when I think about it.

Prior to my short lived tubed tubular sealant escapades, I recall googling my ARS off for best sealants for butyl VS latex etc.

If I had to do it all over, I'd have come outta the gate running much less pressures. But old days we'd pump 120+. And old habits die hard. Plus those were 22mm tires and I am never less than 200 lb., or only occasionally & briefly...
Old 09-27-2020, 04:26 PM

I'd use sealant with a pump. Not sure blasting CO2 into the tube is going to help things seal all that well.

Sealant with latex in my experience is a hit or miss proposition. Easy if you're running Continental tubies with butyl tubes, but sometimes it just wont' seal with latex.

But when I'm out with tubulars, I usually carry Stans with a mini or frame pump just to get back on the road. I figure if that don't fix it, time to call the sag wagon.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:57 PM

Valve length

Measure the length of the valve stem to the tip of the valve core with the tire on the rim. An inch will just about let you attach a pump head but not enough for it to work with Victoria Pitstop. I usually have valve extenders on and that gives me enough length to jam the Pitstop nozzle up the valve. Never had an issue until I used it without the extenders and sprayed the stuff all over.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:00 PM

Bontrager TLR....best stuff out there. I tried Stans, OrangeSeal and others and nothing comes close. This stuff seals even large holes. Have yet to get a puncture that I was not able to seal with Bontrager TLR...I suspect it must use larger particles in the formula allowing for better sealing properties. Also, it does no dry up in your tubes. FYI...I only use tubulars with latex tubes and never pre-treat. Just remove valve core, squeeze in about 1/2 ounce, rotate tire and allow sealant to run to hole, inflate tire just a bit, wait a few minutes for liquid to seal hole and then pump up to full pressure. If it is a small hole I just use CO2, if an obvious big hole I use a pump.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Side note: seems a CO2 blast of pressure and a sealed hole is a fail waiting to occur when I think about it.
This. Need give the sealant some time to set up.. the CO2 doesn’t give it a fighting chance. Pump gradual movement of air i find to be much more successful.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:39 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuerta View Post
Bontrager TLR....best stuff out there. I tried Stans, OrangeSeal and others and nothing comes close. This stuff seals even large holes.
Short term limited good was my experience. Fastest toss away shelf life of everything I have tried.

Anyone else similar experience?
Old 09-27-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Short term limited good was my experience. Fastest toss away shelf life of everything I have tried.

Anyone else similar experience?
Yeah, the outfit up in Oregon - iirc - that makes the stuff for Bontrager/Trek keeps changing the formula, probably mostly in an attempt to address the short shelf life. So far, the latest - blue - stuff seems an improvement over the earlier couple of -white - iterations. Compared to those, was getting much better shelf life out of Orange Seal.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:32 PM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamoots58 View Post
Orange Seal in my Tubulars. Costs me a hundred or so grams per tire, but seems to reduce drastically the number flats. Also carry a separate small bottle of Orange Seal, and carry a spare tubular.
I stopped effin’ with CO2 and carrying a bottle of sealant and I started pre-treating as well, as I didn’t see a reason not to. Orange Seal Endurance and I carry a pre-glued used tubie as well, along with a mini-pump, in case the sealant doesn’t work. It’s only failed me once and that tire should have been replaced, but I was too lazy to do so. Latex tubes in Veloflex Vlaanderen and Vittoria Paves and every once in a while I need to pull a valve core, as they can gum up.