Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2020, 12:25 PM

Anyone add braze-ons to a Ti frame?

Anyone know of a builder (Ti Cycles maybe?) that will add fender/rack mounts, or extra bottle mounts, to a Ti Frame? I've got an older Moots mtb frame (disc, 29er, but straight 1 1/8 HT) that I'm considering turning into a gravel bike, but if I go that route it might be nice to have more braze-ons. Its pretty simple for most steel frames, if you're willing to repaint. And impossible for aluminum, but I'd don't know about Ti. Can the tubes and surfaces be cleaned up enough to make a safe Ti weld on a used frame?
Old 09-27-2020, 12:38 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Ti Cycles for sure. But be prepared to pay big. But you will get the best skills and workmanship possible. I've seen some HT and dropout Ti work/swaps beautifully done.

I once considered having the rear facing dropouts extended on a Blade TT frame I used as SS to get a little bigger tire on. Also been to the shop in the west hills there and saw some fine lugged custom frames just out paint that I wanted to take in every sq. mm of...

Side note if you are not aware:

https://mybikeshop.com/products/axio...er-eyelet.html

AND
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clamp.jpg (22.1 KB, 267 views)

Last edited by robt57; 09-27-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binouye View Post
Anyone know of a builder (Ti Cycles maybe?) that will add fender/rack mounts, or extra bottle mounts, to a Ti Frame? I've got an older Moots mtb frame (disc, 29er, but straight 1 1/8 HT) that I'm considering turning into a gravel bike, but if I go that route it might be nice to have more braze-ons. Its pretty simple for most steel frames, if you're willing to repaint. And impossible for aluminum, but I'd don't know about Ti. Can the tubes and surfaces be cleaned up enough to make a safe Ti weld on a used frame?
TiCycles will certainly do it, I would think. Dave Levy was also contracted to do repair work for Moots previously, so it's also trustworthy.

I will be sending a frame to him for the addition of eyelets.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:19 PM

At least one user here has talked about gluing on the bits for braze-ons. Some kind of industrial / aerospace glue that's not removable (without damage) after it sets. Might be worth looking into since it would be much cheaper, as long as you don't mind the aesthetics.

Also, many other Ti builders will do it. Ti Cycles charges a premium (for a very high level of skill).

Where are you?
Old 09-27-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
At least one user here has talked about gluing on the bits for braze-ons. Some kind of industrial / aerospace glue that's not removable (without damage) after it sets. Might be worth looking into since it would be much cheaper, as long as you don't mind the aesthetics.

Also, many other Ti builders will do it. Ti Cycles charges a premium (for a very high level of skill).

Where are you?
Likely referring to an epoxy of some sort.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:20 PM

Braze-ons etc., can definitely be added to a finished frame. Bilenky in Philadelphia also does ti repair/mods.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post

Where are you?
In CO, so Moots is semi-local. Moots will do some work, but like TiCyles they charge quite a premium for high-quality work. Moots is currently asking $600 to refresh a frame and put new decals on. While my old frame's decals are in need of a refresh, I'd rather leave them scuffed and put that money towards a new fork or something else more functional. And Moots won't replace headtubes, they say that after cutting away the head-affected zone by the old headtube the geometry would be too altered. Their refusal to replace a headtube did make me wonder why TiCyles would agree to do them.....

I'm aware of p-clamps, but hadn't considered epoxy as a solution for adding fender eyelets.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Thanks, those are cool and I hadn't seen them before. Although the frame is QR, I've been running a 10mm thru-bolt in the rear. Those QR eyelets would be a reason to switch the axle back to QR end caps.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:29 PM

You might try Brad Bingham at binghambuiltbikes.com.

Brad is a former Moots employee and has worked with Kent Eriksen in Colorado Springs.

He is a skilled titanium welder and artisan. I have a Hampsten Gran Paradiso that Brad fabricated earlier this year and his workmanship is outstanding.

Hope all works out well for you.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:29 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by binouye View Post
Ask Moots..they did that with my Fixed gear they built for me, after I 'saw the light'. The added a rear der tab to the rear facing horizontal dropouts, downtube shifter bosses, rear brake cable stops and raised the brake bridge.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:30 PM

Ti Cycles is a good call on this. I can speak from experience that Moots is very well set up to manufacture new bikes but not as well set up to do add on work on older frames. Right now their lead time is out of the park because orders are strong. I can also tell you that the reason a well established builder will charge a fair chunk of money is that whenever you get into working on an existing frame you can never be sure what you will run into.

The reason Dave and Eric at Ti Cycles are good is that they have specialized in doing repairs and modifications for many years. Same goes for Bilenky. Quiring may do some as well.

As far as The Old Spud goes, he is on a very very short list of folks where some of us have stayed after hours to do special favors for. While I was there we had a "strict" just say no policy to many things. when a frame would come in for a refinish that opens the door to more possibilities.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:52 AM

I have a Seven that has rack braze ons that id like to remove
Old 09-29-2020, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Bilinkey in Philadelphia is a good option too. those guys will do anything.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Bilinkey in Philadelphia is a good option too. those guys will do anything.
well, except for retrofitting a frame for Di2. I was told: just get Etap
Old 09-29-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
well, except for retrofitting a frame for Di2. I was told: just get Etap
I'm *very* surprised by that. In Philly he's really known for doing absolutely anything. It might not be quick or cheap or look good but he'll do it. It's actually a big reason I don't like his bikes, it seems like he builds whatever customers say they want instead of guiding them or making suggestions.