Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2020, 11:27 AM
It's Polly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I’m originally from VT. Couldn’t count the # of times I’ve heard Vermonters echoing Peanutgallery’s remark, especially directed at people from NYC.
Strong sentiments shared by people here in NH as well. We're perfectly happy here all by ourselves. My town is very xenophobic. Don't be coming in from another effed-up state and think you can drink my milkshake.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:30 AM

If you blow thru your inventory...at retail...with reduced hours/staff/etc - that's what I'd call a banner year. Weather and snow conditions be damned

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Every outdoor activity this year has blown through supply - bike shops are sold out on some bikes through next year, have all been crazy busy, friends trying to buy things like kayaks/paddleboards/fishing gear all on backorder for months, photography gear on perpetual backorder, etc, etc.

Everyone's still stuck at home for the foreseeable future, so Skis/snowboards/snowshoes probably similar. Even if its crap weather I doubt it will deter gear & lift pass purchases and Airbnb/vrbo listings going to be booked solid.

I cant think of a better place to spend a few weeks in fall, though.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Day Trips & hotel/lodge stays from NY/NJ tri-state area for skiing/boarding are not going to work without disobeying lots of rules or quarantining at home + getting tests.
That's what I did, and I'm surprised I havent been hassled or even questioned with my out of state plates + license.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:10 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Every outdoor activity this year has blown through supply - bike shops are sold out on some bikes through next year, have all been crazy busy, friends trying to buy things like kayaks/paddleboards/fishing gear all on backorder for months, photography gear on perpetual backorder, etc, etc.

Everyone's still stuck at home for the foreseeable future, so Skis/snowboards/snowshoes probably similar. Even if its crap weather I doubt it will deter gear & lift pass purchases and Airbnb/vrbo listings going to be booked solid.
America loves to shop, and it's really easy online these days. It's why Bezos is so insanely rich.

My guess is that there will be a ton of second hand bikes and kayaks and ski stuff on sale in a year or two. Furgetabout those really expensive Peloton bikes that are now clothes hangers.

Vermont has been pretty lucky up to now. It's not as though the Super Troopers are stationed at roadblocks at the state lines turning people back. Let's see what happens with foliage season, although the senior bus trips arent there this year, and then when the temps really drop. Who knows, it may be OK, but, doubtful.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Vermont has been pretty lucky up to now. It's not as though the Super Troopers are stationed at roadblocks at the state lines turning people back.
I dont know if thats normal for VT or not, but this place seems to be crawling with troopers - I saw at least a dozen of them between the state line and Rutland on my drive in and there's plenty more around anytime I go somewhere.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:34 PM
slower than you

Quote:
I dont know if thats normal for VT or not, but this place seems to be crawling with troopers - I saw at least a dozen of them between the state line and Rutland on my drive in and there's plenty more around anytime I go somewhere.
I used to do the drive from Saratoga to Killington a lot. You learn quickly to respect the speed limit signs, even on the NY side. Once I went through three speed traps in Rutland alone. Tickets are money for poor towns.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
Strong sentiments shared by people here in NH as well. We're perfectly happy here all by ourselves. My town is very xenophobic. Don't be coming in from another effed-up state and think you can drink my milkshake.
Yah having lived in NH a fair bit too I get this. I would never have been there long enough to qualify as a real NH resident.

And no secret most in the northern/central parts of the state view Southern NH as "northern MA".
Old 09-28-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Historically they're never really on I-89/91 in my experience.

Rt. 7 might be something else.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:21 PM

Can't we get a clear picture of life in Vermont by watching reruns of that old Bob Newhart show? Surely the two Daryls will provide valuable insight.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:38 PM

I watch nordic noir and it seems all the serial killers inhabit remote cold places.....

Just say-in
Old 09-28-2020, 03:17 PM

The winters are long and folks can get on your nerves

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
I watch nordic noir and it seems all the serial killers inhabit remote cold places.....

Just say-in
Old 09-28-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
I think I'm allergic to snow...
I would like to visit Vermont to see the fall colors and of course do some bike riding.

DFW has heat and tornados. Just in the last few years California seems to be a fire magnet. I guess there is no place that's perfect.
This is what I have learned also. No place is perfect. For year around living, with trips when the mood hits, I have found no place I like better than Central Florida. Year around cycling, huge cycling community, County governments inclined to promote outdoor activities, etc. Have been about every where in US in most of the different times of year, and found lots of places better during certain times of the year. But no place perfect all year.

It takes more than good cycling to make one content. Family around you, things going right in your life, good health, finances working, and we all like different things, etc.....all play a part. If there was one place perfect...we would all move there and screw it up anyway.

Edit addition: Anothing thing I have learned from visiting many places...some for extended stays. Living somewhere VS visiting a while.....two diffeent things.

Last edited by Ralph; 09-28-2020 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:58 PM

Not for everyone, but...

Grew up in the Adirondacks, spent 4 years at the start of my career in the Tidewater area of VA, and 23 years now in VT. We love it.

I learned to hang the bikes come winter and grab the skis and snowshoes. And then hang those and grab the bike when the snow melts. For me, I find that it makes me savor what I have a little more knowing that each season is finite.

Per the culture and feel, it's a pretty special place. It's slow and quiet relative to city-living, for sure, but the fresh air and solitude is fantastic (for those that like it). The people tend to be fairly reserved, but again, we do fine. There is a level of pride and local-ism that is pretty nice.

Among my favorite things ~ we recently bought a car from a dealer in MA. MA doesn't do in-transit plates and with DMV offices being closed, we weren't sure what would happen. I called DMV and left a call-back message. A really terrific rep called back and was so simple and pragmatic in talking and offering a solution. The language was simple and the solution lacked layers of bureaucracy. The access and solutions for things like this are a breath of fresh air relative to bigger states.

Our son will graduate from College this May and I'd be shocked if he comes back. That has as much to do with the sector he's pursuing as it does an interest in some of the opportunities of urban living. But has has fond memories, had a great childhood, and I anticipate that he'll come back to visit fairly often.

For my wife and I, we plan on finding someplace different as we retire. The winters don't get easier. But we're yet to find a place that has a just-right feel. Pending details, we're honestly thinking of doing a place in a small town in France and then a second place near wherever our son ends up so we can enjoy those chapters of life.

All told, it's not for everyone, but it sure-does have charm, charisma, character and depth. And at 20+ years, it's been a great place to live, raise a child, and enjoy a career (to the extent that it matters, my wife and I are both teachers).
Old 09-28-2020, 08:43 PM
but not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Apparently, it's the plan of the moment for anyplace owned by Vail. Be interesting to see how it all plays out

No ski racing or shop passes either. Maybe ski race training, but that up in the air
I work for a Vail mountain in VT. Obviously considerations are being made, but there is every intention of allowing lessons, selling day tickets at certain point in the season, allowing limited lodge access, and running some of the seasonal on snow programs. And, as of now, I'd be coming to VT every weekend from a red county.

Quote:
The only way this works within the law/orders in VT is if everyone showing up at the ski areas is coming from counties that don't require a 2 week quarantine when travelling into VT.

I have held my tongue about this when we've had previous posts about people visiting VT.

VT's Department of health has pretty severe guidelines.

You're not supposed to be going to VT and going in a restaurant or grocery store or ski lodge or anything unless you're from one of the counties they've called out as OK here:

https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/re...s-state-travel

Day Trips & hotel/lodge stays from NY/NJ tri-state area for skiing/boarding are not going to work without disobeying lots of rules or quarantining at home + getting tests.
The epic pass comes with reservation requirements this year but there's been no restrictions for people who come up Friday night from a red zone county. KT has been selling tickets online all season and then making no effort to verify you're following the state quarantine guidelines before visiting and riding.

VT needs the tourist business - seems like the policy is "front door is locked...but, shhhh, the backdoor is still open"
Old 09-29-2020, 08:59 AM

KT had employees and ambassadors turning people away in the early summer. Friends coming from NH 40 minutes away were turned away. But that seems to be the exception in terms of ski areas etc and KT was empty this summer due to no Quebecois which border was well enforced.

My parents live in VT and I go often to help them since most senior services have been suspended. I am coming from a green county in MA, but there is zero enforcement of those rules, and I think most people don't even know they are there. If there is a spike this winter Vermonters will raise a ruckus and demand enforcement, which will be dicey. Many folks in NH VT and here on Cape Cod expect that since they own (not rent) a home somewhere, they have the absolute right to travel.
Solution: more testing and sharing of results in a central database. Too bad we lack the leadership to make this happen.

VT is quite variable in that there are ski towns or affluent towns full of out of state money that feel very NYC/NJ where you can get a good bagel, cappuccino, do some yoga and see lots of nice road bikes, charge your Tesla and then get a local craft beer. Warren, Stowe, etc. Then just over the Roxbury gap from Warren is Roxbury which feels more like NH. Snowmobiles, hunting, Bud light, pickup trucks.

I grew up in Western MA but had a place in Warren my entire life and my parents still live there and I have to say my heart is there. I just love it there but it has gotten incredibly boojie to the point of making me ill. People come who don't do outdoors stuff, they just shop and eat fancy food and play golf and take pictures of leaves. Don't Jersey Vermont! Vermont: NJ's largest state park.

I now have a place in Franconia NH and in terms of outdoors activities it blows VT away. Bigger mountains, more hiking trails, less development. But less refined and developed so you need to make your own fun, you can't buy the experiences. Not ideal for the NJ plate X3, which you don't see much of which is why I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
I work for a Vail mountain in VT. Obviously considerations are being made, but there is every intention of allowing lessons, selling day tickets at certain point in the season, allowing limited lodge access, and running some of the seasonal on snow programs. And, as of now, I'd be coming to VT every weekend from a red county.

The epic pass comes with reservation requirements this year but there's been no restrictions for people who come up Friday night from a red zone county. KT has been selling tickets online all season and then making no effort to verify you're following the state quarantine guidelines before visiting and riding.

VT needs the tourist business - seems like the policy is "front door is locked...but, shhhh, the backdoor is still open"