Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2020, 09:55 AM

Studded tires...for the trainer

From my point of view, you just lose a few weeks on the beginning and end of the seasons versus where I live in PA. For the record, I spent 11 years in St J and I sorta miss a "real" winter. We loved to ski and it was awesome to have all that. Not this half assed season between December and February that we get in the mid Atlantic. Up there, you can at least count on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post

Well, Assos (among others) makes some great winter clothing, and Schwalbe makes studded snow tires Great opportunities to be styling and riding abound..... sort of. One of my riding buddies has the 50°F rule (no ride starts with a temp below that) but the cycling season still can run from sometime in March to sometime in November, though it tapers a good deal at either end. But that's why there's x-c skiing! and snow shoeing, hiking! Oh, yeah. the trainer too... oh well.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:18 AM

Oddly enough, bookings for the ski resorts in VT are way up for this coming season. People are planning to work/school from "home" and not travel west. This trend was noticable back in May/June. For the first time in modern history, nobody is going to complain about a 50 degree day with bad snow. Right now, we're literally mowing thru our 20-21 allotment of ski equipment. If you were planning on some new stuff this year, get it now because it'll be gone before the end of December

Folks are basically going to have to book a ski time this season. Only so many customers at a time. Lodges will be closed to day use. Plan on booting up at the car, utilizing porta potties and getting drinks and what not

It's going to be a banner ski year in the East... temperature and snow amount will not matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i definitely do not think i'm tough enough to live in VT year round. one of my favorite states to visit though, for sure. we usually go up to the mad river in late summer for a family trip, but skipped this year with all the travel restrictions, and man, we missed it.

i agree that it's going to be a very rough winter if the ski lodges, etc can not open full capacity and we're still playing the social distancing game which kills some of the fun vibe of ski towns.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:19 AM
Imshi Cycles

As someone with ZERO winter sports in my life and dreams of VT living, i think ill probably pickup snowshoeing and maybe some casual snowboarding but thats about it, for the sake of my knees.

That said, Im not all that worried about the winters, having lived in Boston and the NE my entire life. I view the winter as time to focus on indoor pursuits that might get ignored during the rest of the year: work around the house, tinkering with car/bike projects, making stuff, photo editing, etc.

Building a comfortable 4-season shop/garage is going to be priority number one when I get up there, very much looking forward to finally having a real space to fully explore my (indoor) interests.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
A lot of states and regions have distinct differences in topography and settlement patterns. Vermont is no exception. If you think about your own state, you might agree that this is the case. One’s impression of a place can be rather different depending on the part of the state encountered, if it is only a part. The problems a state is facing are often the problems the nation is facing, sometimes more so, sometimes less. The question is, are they being recognized and, hey, how’s it going over the long term? Parts of the state do have opioid issues. So does the country. At the same time, we have the single best response to the Covid19 crisis in the entire country.

The original thread question asked if anybody (in this forum) was considering a move to VT. My original post was to be positive about that. The NYT article looked at one town, Winhall. If you are looking, look around. It’s a remarkably varied place, and you might find what you are looking for. If nothing else, you can see a (very small) state with distinct differences in its regions in a very short period of time.
i don't think of vermont as having a very diverse population fwiw

nice geography tho
Old 09-28-2020, 10:31 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Oddly enough, bookings for the ski resorts in VT are way up for this coming season. People are planning to work/school from "home" and not travel west. This trend was noticable back in May/June. For the first time in modern history, nobody is going to complain about a 50 degree day with bad snow. Right now, we're literally mowing thru our 20-21 allotment of ski equipment. If you were planning on some new stuff this year, get it now because it'll be gone before the end of December

Folks are basically going to have to book a ski time this season. Only so many customers at a time. Lodges will be closed to day use. Plan on booting up at the car, utilizing porta potties and getting drinks and what not

It's going to be a banner ski year in the East... temperature and snow amount will not matter
I have been regretting not owning even a small condo up there after I've retired (kids, seriously, buy one now if you ski and consider it retirement savings), and now a nice little place with a kitchen is gold. I'm leary of hotel beds, and there's no way I'm going into a classic low ceiling and poorly ventilated Vermont bar/restaraunts to eat. Day trips for me to the Catskills, holding my nose, but, first world problem.

I wouldn't consider what you're describing a "banner year" coming around the corner. It's not going to be fun on a ten degree day with forty mile and hour winds blowing blizzard snow and having to use a port o potty as your only refuge, that is, if you're lucky enough to be allowed to ski that day. Mr. and Mrs. X3 driving the two kids from Jersey won't stand for that for long.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:

Agreed. Prices for rental homes near the ski areas are very high right now.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:47 AM

Ironically I only have one relative up there who can actually afford to ski/snowboard, and that's cause he works at Burton and probably never pays for anything.

I was in VT staying with my parents at the beginning of September.. VT is very very very safe in terms of the pandemic, it was almost weird to be there they've controlled the virus so well.

But yah.. ski lodge is going to be out of the question for anyone coming up from a county that is not "green" in terms of VT standards this winter.

I would not be comfortable going in a ski lodge this winter.

Last edited by benb; 09-28-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Only so many customers at a time. Lodges will be closed to day use. Plan on booting up at the car, utilizing porta potties and getting drinks and what not
i dont think it will be this grim.

i was in killington a month ago and all the restaurants were open indoors at some limited capacity, so i think the ski lodges will also be able to open at reduced capacity, especially for food and beverage service as well as restrooms. probably limited hanging out and socializing indoors, but i think the services will be available.

logically speaking, i think a typical northest winter day wthl blustery windy conditions, everyone wearing goggles, gloves and your snood pulled up - it'll be practically impossible to pass the covid outdoors too.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:58 AM
slower than you

Ski areas and lodges were major vector points last winter. Started in Italy and Austria, (Ishgyl has a population that is somewhere around 80% antibody positive), then travelled to high Colorado. I seriously think I may have caught it during a trip to Utah in mid February, hanging out with the Euro hoi polloi at Deer Valley and Alta, and, well, four flights in the process. I wouldn't be surprised if the best laid plans of the ski industry go poof this winter as many thousands congregate in closed spaces and Vermont, among other ski states, see spikes. Like Mike Tyson said, everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. My motto for 2020.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:59 AM

Apparently, it's the plan of the moment for anyplace owned by Vail. Be interesting to see how it all plays out

No ski racing or shop passes either. Maybe ski race training, but that up in the air

Quote:

i was in killington a month ago and all the restaurants were open indoors at some limited capacity, so i think the ski lodges will also be able to open at reduced capacity, especially for food and beverage service as well as restrooms. probably limited hanging out and socializing indoors, but i think the services will be available.

logically speaking, i think a typical northest winter day wthl blustery windy conditions, everyone wearing goggles, gloves and your snood pulled up - it'll be practically impossible to pass the covid outdoors too.

Last edited by peanutgallery; 09-28-2020 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:00 AM
slower than you

Quote:

Yeah, the actual skiing experience will be pretty safe. It's all the inside stuff that will be dangerous.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
I wouldn't consider what you're describing a "banner year" coming around the corner.
Every outdoor activity this year has blown through supply - bike shops are sold out on some bikes through next year, have all been crazy busy, friends trying to buy things like kayaks/paddleboards/fishing gear all on backorder for months, photography gear on perpetual backorder, etc, etc.

Everyone's still stuck at home for the foreseeable future, so Skis/snowboards/snowshoes probably similar. Even if its crap weather I doubt it will deter gear & lift pass purchases and Airbnb/vrbo listings going to be booked solid.

I cant think of a better place to spend a few weeks in fall, though.

Last edited by .RJ; 09-28-2020 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:

The only way this works within the law/orders in VT is if everyone showing up at the ski areas is coming from counties that don't require a 2 week quarantine when travelling into VT.

I have held my tongue about this when we've had previous posts about people visiting VT.

VT's Department of health has pretty severe guidelines.

You're not supposed to be going to VT and going in a restaurant or grocery store or ski lodge or anything unless you're from one of the counties they've called out as OK here:

https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/re...s-state-travel

Day Trips & hotel/lodge stays from NY/NJ tri-state area for skiing/boarding are not going to work without disobeying lots of rules or quarantining at home + getting tests.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:19 AM

NH, Maine and Vermont are much, much worse than even the worst posts here are making them sound... Anyone thinking of moving should go to one of the really great states, like Florida or Texas.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:20 AM

To the OP, no. Can't do the winters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tz779 View Post
Asheville, NC has a velodrome, as does Rock Hill, SC, not far away.
I would not compare the two. One is a pretty high level outdoor dedicated concrete velodrome. The other is a repainted and repaved dirt car/horse track.

I appreciate Asheville dedicated something to cycling, but it ain't exactly what comes to mind when you think velodrome.