Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2020, 03:43 PM
Imshi Cycles

After spending 2 years roaming all over the west half of the country, my girlfriend and I circled right back to the NE and will be moving to VT within the next month or so, with long term plans of buying land and building.

It was always where I ended up every chance I got while I was in Boston (for 14 years) so it only seems logical to set up shop there for a bit. Anyone who panic-moved there from NYC/Boston this year wont last long unless their interests align with what the state has to offer...which for someone who appreciates the outdoors and a more laid-back pace of life, is PLENTY.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:45 PM

It's very high up on my list after I finish training depending on what the work scene looks like for me and my gf. The NEK is one of my favorite places on earth though I don't think I'd want to live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I thought I'd be West Coast 4-life.....annual fires are making me reconsider.. Snow may keep you from riding, but it don't keep you from breathing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Snow marks the start of 'riding' season though
Old 09-27-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
After spending 2 years roaming all over the west half of the country, my girlfriend and I circled right back to the NE and will be moving to VT within the next month or so, with long term plans of buying land and building.

It was always where I ended up every chance I got while I was in Boston (for 14 years) so it only seems logical to set up shop there for a bit. Anyone who panic-moved there from NYC/Boston this year wont last long unless their interests align with what the state has to offer...which for someone who appreciates the outdoors and a more laid-back pace of life, is PLENTY.
Very cool Eric! Do you know what town yet?

I read that piece this morning and found it humorous and slightly depressing at the same time. I too have harbored hopes of moving (back) to Vermont one of these days. I went up in 10th grade and left after college at UVM in 1993. My parents owned a B+B in a ski town after cashing in their city existence mid-life and all that. Other than when I was living overseas or way out in California, I've gotten back at least a couple times/year for riding and skiing etc. Even applied for a couple of jobs up there in the past 2 years to no avail.

It was funny how most people there didn't have a typical 'career' but balanced 2 or 3 seasonal jobs. I guess it was the first version of a gig economy before what we know now. My dad was an innkeeper, school teacher, guidance counselor, EMT, sleigh-driver and probably a couple other things at various times. Oh, and the part about the people who run the town dump was as true-to-life when we lived there as it is today in that story. Hilarious! Not sure it's as easy nowadays to cobble together a secure life up there in some of the smaller communities, especially if you have kids and want to give them plenty of opportunities, but as an empty-nester I could see going back up and investing myself into a smaller town. I have absolutely no desire for southern living for winters etc. Bring on the snow!
Old 09-27-2020, 04:19 PM

I'm here in Vermont for a couple week break from DC while we continue working remote... We're staying outside of Rutland and I had a bit of a "wow, really?!?" moment when I looked it up and it was the 3rd biggest city in the state, with the other two being Burlington....

Certainly being here at what seems like the best time of year (seriously amazing) makes us think is this a place we could live. Burlington seemed like a fun town, but houses looked really expensive at first glance and how does that jive with a 50k person town? We've seen lots of amazing properties but it looks like most of them had NY or CT plates on the car in the driveway so I guess the money is from elsewhere...
Old 09-27-2020, 04:23 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
I'm here in Vermont for a couple week break from DC while we continue working remote... We're staying outside of Rutland and I had a bit of a "wow, really?!?" moment when I looked it up and it was the 3rd biggest city in the state, with the other two being Burlington....

Certainly being here at what seems like the best time of year (seriously amazing) makes us think is this a place we could live. Burlington seemed like a fun town, but houses looked really expensive at first glance and how does that jive with a 50k person town? We've seen lots of amazing properties but it looks like most of them had NY or CT plates on the car in the driveway so I guess the money is from elsewhere...
Burlington in the summer: amazing, would live there in a heartbeat
Burlington in the winter: buckle up buttercup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy View Post
Very cool Eric! Do you know what town yet?
Will probably start somewhere further south, probably brattleboro, then end up more mid-state when we buy something.
Big TBD all around though. Girlfriend just landed the boston-$$ remote job we needed to make it happen so we are starting the wheels turning now.

Last edited by eBAUMANN; 09-27-2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy View Post
It was funny how most people there didn't have a typical 'career' but balanced 2 or 3 seasonal jobs....
Wasnt that the joke- "Moonlight in Vermont... or starve." ?
Old 09-27-2020, 05:45 PM
Robin (she/her)

Asheville, NC has a velodrome, as does Rock Hill, SC, not far away.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tz779 View Post
Asheville, NC has a velodrome, as does Rock Hill, SC, not far away.
But is there a ski jump or long skate track down there?
Old 09-27-2020, 06:06 PM

I often think about moving there, the issue being for me at least would be jobs and lots of other folks potentially incoming as well. being outside of Boston has been a drag for me for a lot of reasons. The greener open space, and gentler folks up there would do me good
Old 09-27-2020, 06:47 PM

I went to college in Northfield, basically right in the center of the state. Fall is superb but we didn’t call it America’s Siberia for no reason. Still an awesome place despite the lengthy winter., I loved it.

Last edited by majorpat; 09-27-2020 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:49 PM

I am a New Englander by birth (CT), and have cycled and hiked quite a bit in all of the New England States. I have contemplated moving back to a New England state (I currently live in Florida) now that I am retired. For me, the biggest problem is moving from such a low tax state to such a high tax area (except New Hampshire). According to this source, Vermont has the third largest tax burden of all of the states in the US.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/
Old 09-27-2020, 07:12 PM

Love Vermont; not an ugly part and many roads to bike heaven. One consideration might be that Social Security income is partially taxed in Vermont and withdrawals from retirement accounts are fully taxed. Wages are taxed at normal rates, and at last check the marginal state tax rate is 5.90%. Just across the river, in Live Free or Die New Hampshire, the tax situation is almost opposite but ... NH is a different head than VT. I can't think of two states bordering each other than are more unalike, at least politically and socially.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Wasnt that the joke- "Moonlight in Vermont... or starve." ?
This is the first time I heard this---and it cracks me up.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs4us View Post
Love Vermont; not an ugly part and many roads to bike heaven. One consideration might be that Social Security income is partially taxed in Vermont and withdrawals from retirement accounts are fully taxed. Wages are taxed at normal rates, and at last check the marginal state tax rate is 5.90%. Just across the river, in Live Free or Die New Hampshire, the tax situation is almost opposite but ... NH is a different head than VT. I can't think of two states bordering each other than are more unalike, at least politically and socially.
Move near Walpole NH then get best of both worlds. Say hi to Ken Burns for me...
Old 09-27-2020, 07:48 PM

NH has high property taxes to fund schools, since no income or sales tax. Plus 5% tax on non-wage income. So once retired, may not be so low tax compared to other states. I live in MA after 35 yrs in NH, with lower property taxes on a house worth 3X as much. When I retire, I'm not sure overall taxes will be higher for me in MA.
To be clear, taxes aren't a driver for where I choose to live. Especially since higher tax states may share my values of spending on things like schools, elderly services, childhood services, environmental protection. Those states do seem to be more highly regulated, and one thing I miss about NH is people not in your business if you're not bothering them

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs4us View Post