Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
What is wrong with the audience..they look like they are all gonna fall asleep...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agwMwbmMNbk

GREAT movie, BTW-Not Part Deux..
A buncha high school kids, looks like.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:41 PM

I saw Richard Thompson at least once every year since 1993 ... up until Covid. I don't know if he's underrated or overrated and I'm sure he doesn't give a rat's butt. Brilliant: heck, the guy learned Greek just so he could read Homer in the original.

Composition wise there are similarities with Townes ... simplicity and elegance combined. "Living on the road my friend, was going to make you free and clean/now you wear your face like iron/ your breath as hard as kerosene". In a league with Dylan for lyrics. And maybe Barry Mcguire in Eve of Destruction.

How about Yo Yo Ma? Heard him play 5 Bach Cello Concertos totally without music or notes straight through and flawless. And Emerson String quartet and Joshua Bell.

I'm a lifelong DeadHead too.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkelly View Post
I saw Richard Thompson at least once every year since 1993 ... up until Covid. I don't know if he's underrated or overrated and I'm sure he doesn't give a rat's butt. Brilliant: heck, the guy learned Greek just so he could read Homer in the original.

Composition wise there are similarities with Townes ... simplicity and elegance combined. "Living on the road my friend, was going to make you free and clean/now you wear your face like iron/ your breath as hard as kerosene". In a league with Dylan for lyrics. And maybe Barry Mcguire in Eve of Destruction.

How about Yo Yo Ma? Heard him play 5 Bach Cello Concertos totally without music or notes straight through and flawless. And Emerson String quartet and Joshua Bell.

So, so many good bands, singers, players, orchestras.

Before the virus hit I was on a two year binge of seeing a lot of acts before they quit the road or just plain died.

Stephen Stills, Judy Collins, Emmylou Harris, Rick Wakeman, Jon Anderson, Lucinda Williams, Tom Jones (he crushed it), Richard Thompson, Steve Earle, Robert Earle Keen, Peter Rivera, Little Feat, Creedence Clearwater (Revisited)... Not to mention a bunch of smaller acts, local and elsewhere.

Symphonic concerfs have been tough lately. There have been funding and pay issues, and that was before the virus hit.

My usual music trips to Mississippi and Louisiana were cancelled.

Then there's the international stuff. Mdou Moctar, Alsarah and the Nubatones, Le Vent du Nord...

Last edited by reuben; 09-28-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:17 PM

Overrated: RHCP. But they’ve taken their act to the bank, so good for them.

Underrated: The Monkees. Recently heard an Alec Baldwin interview with Micky Dolenz. Fascinating stuff. All members were pretty talented, not just pretty faces. Chosen for actual musical ability. Worth a search. He doesn’t take their pop music as seriously as some people take their own pop music, but the story is quite interesting.

Also underrated: Hall and Oates.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Overrated: RHCP. But they’ve taken their act to the bank, so good for them.

Underrated: The Monkees. Recently heard an Alec Baldwin interview with Micky Dolenz. Fascinating stuff. All members were pretty talented, not just pretty faces. Chosen for actual musical ability. Worth a search. He doesn’t take their pop music as seriously as some people take their own pop music, but the story is quite interesting.

Also underrated: Hall and Oates.
Anyone who holds their nose and says “Early 80s Cheese” should see Live From Darryl’s House.”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GoXxdObGKuI
Old 09-28-2020, 05:36 PM
Strong Walker

Hall an Oates rock, period. I dont care who rates them. Also in this line, Saga and Toto
Old 09-28-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Anyone who holds their nose and says “Early 80s Cheese” should see Live From Darryl’s House.”
Agreed. More Cheese.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al3tRlzOREg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn4G-hE7JsE

Last edited by Frankwurst; 09-28-2020 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:40 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkelly View Post

You sound like a guy I would definitely ride with and talk music non-stop - and then have a few shots of tequila
Old 09-28-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
Hall an Oates rock, period. I dont care who rates them. Also in this line, Saga and Toto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankwurst View Post
I've watched a bunch of those and all of these in the past. Most are really good and some are stellar. Sorry but Wagon Wheel was a GD train wreck thanks to Darryl. Can't win em all.

LaGrange is a song that's impossible not to like and that version was outstanding.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:12 PM

Underrated: Prince
Old 09-28-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I've watched a bunch of those and all of these in the past. Most are really good and some are stellar. Sorry but Wagon Wheel was a GD train wreck thanks to Darryl. Can't win em all.

LaGrange is a song that's impossible not to like and that version was outstanding.
No argument it's just that I've heard and seen alot of different bands do Wagon Wheel. Just trying to show the diversity that goes on at Darryls House. And I agree On La Grange. As the Stones said " I know it's only rock and roll but I like it"
Old 09-28-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabyjones View Post
Underrated: Prince
Rated correctly: genius.
Conversely: Michael Jackson Pre-Thriller: Underrated. Post-Thriller: Overrated.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankwurst View Post
No argument it's just that I've heard and seen alot of different bands do Wagon Wheel. Just trying to show the diversity that goes on at Darryls House. And I agree On La Grange. As the Stones said " I know it's only rock and roll but I like it"
Oh I know and it was all set up so perfect....he just seemed so out of sync.

I'm still a fan.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Rated correctly: genius.
Conversely: Michael Jackson Pre-Thriller: Underrated. Post-Thriller: Overrated.
^^^^^^^^exactly.

Like them or not, both are genius. Prince output of hits for other artists, his musicianship.. it´s that kind of being who defies human limitations.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:

Hall and Oates is pure soul music.