Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netdewt View Post
My wife isn’t interested in biking outside in the winter. She hard vetoed a direct mount trainer because no one else in the house can use it. She wants a peloton or spin bike that anyone can use (small house, 4 kids). I’ve tried several trainers in the past and used them all 3 times at most before they sat in the corner.

I’ve downhill skied my whole life. I can skate ski well in downhill boots. I pull the kids around that way. Not sure if it’s any different but it kinda sucks.

I’m looking at doing a Framed $800 w/ Deore 10. It’s probably junk but it’ll get me on trails. There are still a few Mukluk Deore 11 bikes around, but not for long, and double the price at $1600.
This is veering too much into relationship issue, but do your kids ride? If they don't, it's not apt to require that whatever comes in has to be usable by six people.

If your kids do ride, there's the Tacx Neo. MSRP $3,200. Mybikeshop (a reputable outfit) could probably give you 10% off of that.

If it's "just" an issue of your wife wanting whatever that comes in to be usable by her as well, a direct drive trainer + used bike for her will cost less than a $3k stationary bike ($2k should do it). The small house thing raised by your wife is also irrelevant in the comparison, as the space requirement for a stationary bike is going to be larger than that of a direct trainer (your old bike needs a place for storage regardless).

You say that you would rather spend $3k elsewhere, and I get that. But the question becomes, how else are you going to address this, given the following constraints:

-1) You want to cycle in the winter, when it's nearly impossible to do so outdoors (not to mention you'd need another bike for this);
-2) Your wife does not look kindly on the idea of a smart trainer;
-3) You cannot move to somewhere with more hospitable winters.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankwurst View Post
Xcountry skiing on groomed trails is enjoyable if you know how to do it and have the proper equipment. There is a winter park in northern Wisconsin, Minocqua to be exact, http://mwpskishop.com/, that rents equipment and gives weekend lessons. Might be a nice weekend getaway to learn technique and get some basic skills. Worst case scenario is you still don't like it but my money says you'll warm up to it. If that doesn't work there is always snow shoeing. Jeez I'm old and fat and I like it and would really like it if I was young and fast. Some of these people on skate skis can fly.
One of my favorite places to ski; I was on the ski patrol there for a number of years. I used to race against the head of the ski school there, Dan Clausen. He had been a member of the US National Telemark Demo team. Dan is an amazing instructor whom I would highly recommend. I was thinking I should add a comment about getting instruction as a faster learning curve to enjoying nordic skiing.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
This is veering too much into relationship issue, but do your kids ride? If they don't, it's not apt to require that whatever comes in has to be usable by six people.
Yes they are getting into it. I’m not sure if they would use a trainer yet, but they are pre-teens so that could be coming soon. Even just the one extra person (both me and my wife) makes a smart trainer impractical because I’d either need to swap bikes back and forth (storing them in the house) or have 2 trainers.

I almost bought a Wattbike Atom last year, but held off. Now the price went up $1000.

For now the $800 Framed fatbike seems like the best choice. I won’t have studded tires without $300 more investment. A Mukluk comes with studdable tires, which adds a lot of value, but double the price at $1600.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
One of my favorite places to ski; I was on the ski patrol there for a number of years. I used to race against the head of the ski school there, Dan Clausen. He had been a member of the US National Telemark Demo team. Dan is an amazing instructor whom I would highly recommend. I was thinking I should add a comment about getting instruction as a faster learning curve to enjoying nordic skiing.
Yeah I wish I would have had something like that when I started but it's like my cycling. I read what I could find and learned by trial and error. But skiing is like cycling. Advancements have made it easier to get into and enjoy both sports.
I'm alot older and alot slower at both but my mind still thinks it's a gas.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:28 PM

I bought a cheap Framed fatbike, and got out on a snowy ride today. I had to venture off road a bit to test things out and I’m feeling pretty good about it. Also decided to get the rollers out of my garage rafters and give those another chance!
Old 10-22-2020, 06:18 AM

Find a 300-400 dollar beater on Craigslist.
This one did fine last winter.
Winters are harsh in northern Michigan.
Salt on the roads, bikes are put up dirty.
I've had a Specialized Tri Cross ss that lasted two winters.
Soon the winter treads will go on and the fun begins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpOcSlhIAM.jpg (146.8 KB, 118 views)
Old 10-22-2020, 07:00 AM

If the roads are dry and its above 40 degrees fahrenheit I'm outside on the roads. Below 40 and it's Trainer Road on a Kickr Core. Strength train 3X's per week in addition and get in the pool weekly for a total of about 12 hours combined training weekly. When your over 60- got to keep moving.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:03 AM

Winter is way more fun in Buffalo NY with a fatbike!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05849A.jpg (129.5 KB, 104 views)
Old 10-22-2020, 09:45 AM
Older Than You

I often wondered what cyclists in Minneapolis did in the winter months.

I've visited Minneapolis many times in the summer and really enjoyed the seemingly limitless bike paths that went everywhere. I guess at -20 degrees F you just stay inside.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:20 AM

You live in an American Mecca of XC ski. It feels awkward to everyone at first, but once you get the form down, the feeling of flying over the landscape on fresh corduroy is intoxicating. Kind of like a new drivetrain with a tailwind on fresh tarmac. That is, until you get to a hill-- nothing redlines my HR like an XC ski climb. It's great VO2 max training and a nice complement to cycling for total body fitness.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
I often wondered what cyclists in Minneapolis did in the winter months.

I've visited Minneapolis many times in the summer and really enjoyed the seemingly limitless bike paths that went everywhere. I guess at -20 degrees F you just stay inside.
It doesn't hit -20 often. If I were into XC skiing, I would stay inside at -20. Maybe I'm weak, I don't care.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:28 PM

Yeah, -20 is when you don’t go outside at all. From 0 up I think I can manage. Below that, we’ll see.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:51 PM

I moved to Northern Wisconsin in June. Weather records show that October temperatures average tin the mid-fifties and in the upper thirties in November. I thought I could ride up until the roads are snow covered, which folks here say is "usually" around Thanksgiving. Well, it is a different year and you can throw the averages out the window and in a way it is depressing. It has snowed here a couple times that past week, including today. The temperatures have been in the low thirties for a high with 10-15mph wind speeds. Riding is cold for me, mostly because I can't keep my feet warm. Although I'm working on that, it looks as if I am switching to the trainer now and that is among my least favorite things to do, but it is better than not being on the bike at all. I'm not a happy cyclist right now.

Yeah, maybe I will snowshoe or country ski, but it has been many many years since I have done either of those. I'll probably start with snowshoeing to keep up my aerobic fitness, but I have to admit that when I talk with my California riding buddies who describe their 50 mile rides and 4000 feet of climbing, I get a bit depressed. Have to work on that.

Today started out grey and a bit of light snow flurries and then it started dumping snow and at about noon it look more like 6pm. Think I will go for a walk and call my California riding buddies....

A view out the back door around noon today...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2023.jpg (116.8 KB, 78 views)
Old 10-22-2020, 04:13 PM

@metalheart I know exactly how you feel, and I’ve lived here my whole life. This year I’m done making excuses. I’m not starting a different sport. I’m biking all winter, the end.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:53 AM

I absolutely hate indoor trainers. I also prefer to be outside as much as possible and typically get substantial snow. It sounds like you should get a fat bike to me.

I have been through a few and currently have a carbon Mukluk. It is around 30lbs with a dropper and GX Eagle. It is a blast to ride and provides plenty of fitness. Find something that suits you and your riding style. Lots of different options these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk