Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
I guess most of his clients don't usually want or care about the measurements/numbers, but I do... so we measured things before I left.

I also just bought an industrial ruler with the leveler in it to measure that bike and take the fit over to my 'trainer' bike. So I should have some measurements.

He basically told me that I should be looking at the roubaix and synapse.

Some basic measurements:
Center saddle to center headset: 58.5cm (Reach)
Bar drop: 6cm
Center BB to top of seat: 76cm

I can't find the measurements for my bike online anywhere, but I can find some info on geometry geek and looking at comparable bikes by the manufacturer for that year.

Stack 545-555
Reach 380.

I guess I need to be looking at this in the short term vs long term. As I posted on an intro thread elsewhere on this forum, i'm a resident. For now I guess I just need something that's a bit more comfortable by virtue of allowing wider tires. The roads in my area can be a bit sketchy at times and I ride in NJ/PA and at times in philly. With something like 28's or 32's on a road bike, I guess I'd be less worried veering into a nasty shoulder or even bunny hopping into the grass if push came to shove.

The LBS supports the college team and I believe that the students I spoke to got a very reasonable deal for their 105 CAAD's with disc brakes. I wonder what the price for the base 105 carbon synapse would be if I were to get it through them... or the roubaix since they deal those too but I think cannondale offers better pricing to students/teams.
So if you want to race bikes...follow the lead of the others and get the CAAD 105. I didn't realize you were in college I thought you were an old dude with back problems. If you're 'fit' has you with 6cm drop buy a race bike not an endurance bike.

Have fun, take a chance now and then.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
So if you want to race bikes...follow the lead of the others and get the CAAD 105. I didn't realize you were in college I thought you were an old dude with back problems. If you're 'fit' has you with 6cm drop buy a race bike not an endurance bike.

Have fun, take a chance now and then.
I'm 31 lol, but because I'm a trainee, I'll likely be allowed to race in collegiate as long as I don't do anything related to nationals.

I've had back surgery twice so I guess I am an old dude with back problems. I just also happen to be delusional re: racing lol.

This might come off as funny, but... Are the newer cannondale caad13 and supersix evo frames significantly more relaxed in geometry than their predecessors?

Re: the nice disc wheel issue. I have a set of carbon clinchers that I rather like, but if I was moving to a disc brake bike I could probably sell them and pick something else up used carbon or otherwise. Or roll that amount into the price of a bike.

Last edited by ridethecliche; 09-22-2020 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I'm 31 lol, but because I'm a trainee, I'll likely be allowed to race in collegiate as long as I don't do anything related to nationals.

I've had back surgery twice so I guess I am an old dude with back problems. I just also happen to be delusional re: racing lol.

This might come off as funny, but... Are the newer cannondale caad13 and supersix evo frames significantly more relaxed in geometry than their predecessors?

Re: the nice disc wheel issue. I have a set of carbon clinchers that I rather like, but if I was moving to a disc brake bike I could probably sell them and pick something else up used carbon or otherwise. Or roll that amount into the price of a bike.
At 31 you are a teenager on this forum.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
At 31 you are a teenager on this forum.
And the old man on the collegiate team

Old 09-27-2020, 04:09 PM

So I've been mulling this over a bit more and I guess I'm going to ask this flat out.

Would a gravel bike with similar geometry to an endurance bike, but with clearance for wider tires, fit the needs of something like this?
For road rides or faster group rides, I could always run 28's. For days when the roads are going to be more sketchy or there's going to be gravel involved, I could swap wheels and run 35's.

Has anyone done something like this, i.e. an 'all road' bike of sorts. Any regrets?

I'd possibly still keep atleast 1 of my 2 roadies for more spirited riding.

As I've continued to ride more and more, I find myself continuously frustrated by beautiful rides on crummy roads which lead to a jarring ride and require a lot of attention to ones through shoddy repairs and potholes. I feel like this would be a lot less stressful running even 30-32s. I put 32 on the big end of that spectrum because lynskey's road disc series maxes out at 32.

As an aside, what are the odds that a gravel bike can be used for cross?
I wouldn't mind having 2 sets of cranks/chain and wheels. Takes me 15 mins to swap hollowtech crankarms.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Would a gravel bike with similar geometry to an endurance bike, but with clearance for wider tires, fit the needs of something like this?
For road rides or faster group rides, I could always run 28's. For days when the roads are going to be more sketchy or there's going to be gravel involved, I could swap wheels and run 35's.
Yes, many gravel bikes have endurance geo, though the ones that are targeted at gravel racing, not so much. Jan Heine would tell you that you don't even need the skinny tires, just get wide supple tires and find the right pressure and they're good in both scenarios.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:53 PM

How would some of the modern cross bikes fit into this mold?
The geometry of some that I've seen end up being slightly longer and taller than equivalent road bikes, but they can often take up to 38's for tires etc.

They definitely don't often have all the aero pizazz that modern road bikes have to offer but... are they a worthy option for a road bike that takes wide tires and can have some gravel appeal?
Old 11-06-2020, 06:59 PM

Anyone holding? Feel like I'm finally ready to go for it.

Still considering just about everything if anyone has additional insight!

And additional question: I've seen a few bikes with a thru axle front and QR rear. Is it possible to convert the rear to a thru axle as well?

Last edited by ridethecliche; 11-06-2020 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:

And additional question: I've seen a few bikes with a thru axle front and QR rear. Is it possible to convert the rear to a thru axle as well?
Generally no, you would have to have a replaceable dropout system for this. A few bikes do, 99.8% don't.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:59 AM

Re: brake systems. If most riding is done on the road and some gravel and rarely in lots of mud and wet (outside of maybe a cx race here and there)... do discs have a huge advantage here? Trying to be a bit budget conscious here and things like the older trek boone's with cantis are a bit appealing. Maybe it's a bad idea but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
Generally no, you would have to have a replaceable dropout system for this. A few bikes do, 99.8% don't.
Thank you!