Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2024, 12:08 PM
Meh

This kind of analysis has the potential to really change how fitting works. Though you can do it on your own, a fitter can still provide the equipment (eg trainer, bike components, etc) and guide the rider through the process while still relying on the technology for the measurements and suggestions.

One part I wonder about is adaptive fitting - a human fitter with physio experience is capable of adapting fit to health issues and biomechanical responses that aren’t going to visible to a camera or a machine learning model.
Old 03-10-2024, 12:38 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
This kind of analysis has the potential to really change how fitting works. Though you can do it on your own, a fitter can still provide the equipment (eg trainer, bike components, etc) and guide the rider through the process while still relying on the technology for the measurements and suggestions.

One part I wonder about is adaptive fitting - a human fitter with physio experience is capable of adapting fit to health issues and biomechanical responses that aren’t going to visible to a camera or a machine learning model.
for sure, the biggest liability of this process is the app can't know if you have any major flexibility issues, leg length issues, etc.. I think if you are honest about your riding style (relaxed, neutral, aggressive), you will probably get a good fit unless you have some of those issues mentioned prior. I think the issue will be someone like myself that doesn't ride 200 miles a week, has a bit of a belly, and isn't the most flexible choosing the aggressive fit because that's what I think I should be.. for the record, I chose relaxed as I feel I can always make a relaxed fit "neutral" by lowering the front end or extending the stem..
Old 03-10-2024, 12:48 PM

For most folks considering getting a bike fit...just try lowering your saddle about 10mm at a time and try it out. Also, having a fit by an actual person, with real experience, can look for things computer programs don't. Such as dropping your heel when pedaling really hard. Saddle height can look fine when just spinning on the trainer but things tend to go to hell when you really grind.

Steve Hogg has some nice insights on this:
https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ard-can-it-be/

Tim
Old 03-10-2024, 12:58 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
For most folks considering getting a bike fit...just try lowering your saddle about 10mm at a time and try it out. Also, having a fit by an actual person, with real experience, can look for things computer programs don't. Such as dropping your heel when pedaling really hard. Saddle height can look fine when just spinning on the trainer but things tend to go to hell when you really grind.

Steve Hogg has some nice insights on this:
https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ard-can-it-be/

Tim
that's some good points.. the one niggle I found is the sizing part of the app wants to have my saddle height at 71cm (based on the body scan, as it didn't ask my inseam).. both of my in-person fits had me at ~68cm.. also I have my cleats pushed all way the back to get a more mid-foot position, I assume the app might be going from a more traditional "KOPS" method? That would certainly alter my seat height..

the value for me at this point is the sizing feature that gives me/reinforces for me a good starting point for what size bike to look at.. I have been on 54s or 56s (generally 380-390 reach numbers) for ever, based on common thought (I'm 5'8.5"-5'9")/what people have said is "my size) and they have always felt too long, even after putting shorter stems on.. the app has me on a 52cm (~370 reach) endurance bike and that sounds right to be honest. based on the above experiences.. I hope to get some good saddle time on a 52 prior to purchase though..
Old 03-10-2024, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
that's some good points.. the one niggle I found is the sizing part of the app wants to have my saddle height at 71cm (based on the body scan, as it didn't ask my inseam).. both of my in-person fits had me at ~68cm.. also I have my cleats pushed all way the back to get a more mid-foot position, I assume the app might be going from a more traditional "KOPS" method? That would certainly alter my seat height..

the value for me at this point is the sizing feature that gives me/reinforces for me a good starting point for what size bike to look at.. I have been on 54s or 56s (generally 380-390 reach numbers) for ever, based on common thought (I'm 5'8.5"-5'9")/what people have said is "my size) and they have always felt too long, even after putting shorter stems on.. the app has me on a 52cm (~370 reach) endurance bike and that sounds right to be honest. based on the above experiences.. I hope to get some good saddle time on a 52 prior to purchase though..
Going from a 56 to a 52 is a very big jump in bike sizing. You have obviously been riding bikes for some time, I guss the question raised in my mind, is it that you have just not paid attention to what you been riding durning this time? Fellow riders never mentioned you were on to big of a bike? Difficult for me to understand how you could have been riding all this time and not been so uncomfortable on a oversized bike. Lets hope this improves your enjoyment of cycling.

Last edited by m_sasso; 03-10-2024 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 05:01 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Going from a 56 to a 52 is a very big jump in bike sizing. You have obviously been riding bikes for some time, I guss the question raised in my mind, is it that you have just not paid attention to what you been riding durning this time? Fellow riders never mentioned you were on two big of a bike? Difficult for me to understand how you could have been riding all this time and not been so uncomfortable on a oversized bike. Lets hope this improves your enjoyment of cycling.
fair questions.. I had ridden 54s for the majority of the time and got talked into a 56 for some weird reason.. and then I got a really good deal on 56 CAAD.. while I could technically ride the 56, they all had 90mm stems and the seats were probably too far forward and they still felt too long.. 54s fit much better, depending on the 54 of course, but most still felt just a bit too long.. plus, I've been told most people can tolerate a size larger or even two.. not saying it would be comfy or doable for long, but I've heard it can work for some.. plus as we all know a 54 in one bike can feel like a 56 in another, etc..
Old 03-10-2024, 06:17 PM

It will probably get you in the range and as close to close as 50% of the people selling bikes these days.