Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2023, 07:18 PM

I wish you a full recovery soon. An experienced, skillful occupational therapist may be able to help with this sort of paralysis.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:07 PM

Wow. Glad you got medical attention in time. Best wishes for a full recovery.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:47 PM

I’ll add to the wishes for speedy and complete recovery. I’ve read about some neurostimulation devices having a positive impact. Perhaps that’s an approach that could be valuable for you. Neurolife has an arm sleeve that, as I understand it, translates brain activity into motor action.
Old 03-13-2023, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Wow. Glad you got medical attention in time. Best wishes for a full recovery.
Second this - best wishes for a full recovery!
Old 03-13-2023, 10:31 PM

Another vote here. I've got no experience with what you're describing and so can't offer any concrete advice, but I wish you the best for a smooth and steady full recovery.
Old 03-13-2023, 11:06 PM

Wishing you the best recovery.

I'm in the medical field but not a neurologist or cardiologist but one thing everyone should be aware of are the signs of stroke (FAST acronym -- Face (drooping, Asymmetry in facial feature or motor/sensory abilities in face or otherwise, Speech--slurring or change in speech enunciation or even talking gibberish, Time -- time = brain so hurry). More subtle signs can include odd (to you) change in sense of smell or vision changes.

The biggest thing about knowing signs of stroke is that if you can catch a "small" stroke or symptoms of an impending more devastating stroke, you can do diagnostic testing and treatment ASAP. You can also get started on risk reduction treaments (usually pills, sometimes a defibrillator may be needed)

Not much you can do when you are out there so great fellow hikers who helped you out.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:14 AM

I got nothing.. but good wishes for you. Happy to hear some folks were able to get to you.
Old 03-14-2023, 04:54 AM

Best wishes for your recovery process. Stay positive no matter how slow the recovery. Fight on!
Old 03-14-2023, 05:38 AM

About four years ago, a good cycling pal of mine had a stroke. He was at home, having a morning coffee with his wife, and she realized something was very wrong - he didn’t just need another cup of coffee - and got him to the hospital.
Four years of slow progress has him largely back to being himself. He lost a quadrant of his vision, so he couldn’t drive, couldn’t bike… he couldn’t see things coming at him from that sector. But he could play pickleball, walk, read, (eventually) think clearly…. And now, while it is still unsafe to drive, he can get on a bike in certain circumstances, riding with a pal or two or his wife to cover the missing sight, sometimes on a rail trail. And the recovery continues. Perhaps it will for the rest of his life, as the brain adapts itself to deal with the remaining disability. He IS getting better, however slowly.
And all of us hope you can as well. Your fitness from all your activity should serve the cause too. Keep up the spirits!, and the progress.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
NO, I dididn't crash but on May 23rd last year I was hiking solo in northeast Oregon1/2 hour when some other hikers came along I was airlifted toWalla Walla then to Spokane WashingtoIgot clot dissolving drugs but I completely paralyzed on my left-my left leg works little but my left arm has no function yet.I can't ride and can barely walk with support. Iwould like to see if anybody has a great idea for return of function or if anbody has had a similar stroke and now you're recovered.let me hear your storyIf you just want to throw out a friendly hi, that would be nice
So sorry to hear. I haven't forgot how you helped me when I was having issues with my ticker. Good thoughts your way. If there's anything I or the PL crew can do to help, just shout.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:02 AM

Sending all the best wishes for your continued recovery and ability to keep your spirits up. We've missed you on the board for sure. If it suits you and isn't too much effort, please re-engage.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:05 AM
Descent fitness

I will add to the pile of good thoughts coming your way.
Do what you can to stay positive and think of some replacement hobbies for a while.
Other than that I got nothing, since I’m just a baby doc, and I think you’re a bit old for that :-)
Old 03-14-2023, 07:29 AM

Well, Gasman - I guess many of us are getting to the age around here where we're having to reflect on new challenges happening to us, both good and bad. You've always been a measured guy around here, and I sincerely hope that you steer the rudder along following seas.
Old 03-14-2023, 08:10 AM

Very sorry to hear about it. I wondered why we hadn't heard your voice here for awhile.

As others have mentioned, you seem to be someone who will deal with this huge personal challenge as well or better than many of us.

May 2022 is now 10 months ago, so some of the immediate post-stroke PT and OT may be tapering off at this point. Unfortunately, insurance tends to be reluctant to continue to cover these therapies once your recovery 'plateaus'. I would do whatever you can to continue some form of this, especially a motivated physical therapist. Good to have a 'coach' of some sort while you continue on the slow path of recovery.
Old 03-14-2023, 08:35 AM

I would look into spending as much time on a powered stationary bike as possible. I would be surprised if your physical therapist wouldn't agree. hang in there and keep as active as you can. if you are not working with a speech pathologist make sure that is in the mix too.