Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2023, 08:53 AM

OT - Questions for guitar players - plugins,,,

OK, yeah, its -way- off topic, but so are a lot of other posts here..
Don't worry, I'll be posting another 'on topic' question tonight with more questions about gravel bike sizing!

OK, so, I'm trying to get back into guitar playing. I'm just a crappy hack that used to play via number tabs, never took lessons, just messed around for fun.
I am looking at options to use headphones with. In the past, I used to use one of those original Line6 Pods.

I am seeing all this new 'plug in' computer stuff, but have no idea how it all works..

So can I now essentially use my macbook pro the same way I used my line6 pod? Somehow plug the guitar into the macbook, use some program/plugins, and use headphones attached to macbook to listen???
Is there some sort of physical interface box I need between the guitar and the macbook? And specific software on the macbook to handle all these downloadable plugins you see online (currently all over my facebook feed.....)??

Thanks!!!
Old 03-16-2023, 09:13 AM

Get a Spark or Spark Mini. I went through the same process a year ago, reconnecting with my guitar. It’s app driven and had an amazing array of customization to it. Lots of amps, effects etc. also a network of thousands of users that you can download tones from. There’s isn’t a tone it’s can’t replicate well. It is miles beyond the old Pods.

Has a headphone jack for silent practice and my favorite feature - you can link your favorite streaming music service and can play along with your favorite songs through the system. Even setting up loops or slowing down the track to practice the harder parts.

It can also function as a interface for your computer if you want to get into recording.

You can in theory do all of the above with a basic midi interface and a software package from a number of different companies, but I like the plug and play aspect of the Spark, with the added benefit that it is a physical amp if you want to play loud on occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2023, 09:15 AM

I have done this using a Mac and Garageband. The amp simulation is pretty nice for a free product, though there are way more expensive amp and pedal simulation software suites out there.

Your most cost effective choice is the iRig, which I have. It works pretty well for $40. If you want to do more serious recording, you'll likely want a fancier audio interface or usb compatible mixing board.

https://www.amazon.com/IK-Multimedia...08322132&psc=1

There are also plenty of new generation digital amps to consider, like the Positive Grid Spark or one of the Yamaha smart amps. I might look at one of those, because sometimes you just want to play without firing up your computer and various software suites.
Old 03-16-2023, 09:18 AM

Thanks!

Couple of things:

1. The positive grid spark is/was actually what I was considering getting, but thought I'd just ask about all this plugin stuff. But maybe just easier to go with the grid.

2. I will never do any recording etc of any kind, lol.

Cheers
Old 03-16-2023, 10:13 AM

I considered the midi and software package route as well. positive grid has the RIFF which comes with a paired down version of their software package which will do most all of what the Spark will. For an extra $$ you can get a more feature heavy software package.

TBH I probably would have gone that way if it was available, but it hadn’t come out yet. I never use the speaker in my amp - I can only really play after the kid is asleep and my practice space shares a wall with his room.

Hmm maybe I should go that way… shoot me a PM if you might want my spark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2023, 11:10 AM

In the depths of the pandemic I bought a Focusrite Solo to play and record via GarageBand on my Mac. I absolutely love it! I have a 15 year old TDK speaker system with a subwoofer on the Mac that makes the sound pretty good. I ended up buying a cheap bass guitar and have learned how to add drum and simple keyboard tracks to make some pretty cool songs. I’ve since bought a Spark, which I like, but if I had to choose between the two, I like the Solo better.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Focusri...rface-Gen-3.gc

Edit: I will add that I bought the solo originally just to play, but then decided I want to record backing tracks to play lead over, then decided I needed some bass line, and so on, next thing I know I’m recording entire songs. The Spark has a feature where it will play backing tracks but it’s pretty much all stuff pulled off you tube, including songs I link from my Apple Music library. I had kind of thought I would be able to find songs with lead tracks removed but that hasn’t been the case.

For kicks, here’s some GarageBand product

https://soundcloud.com/hugh-c-214415174

Last edited by Spaghetti Legs; 03-16-2023 at 11:50 AM.