Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2019, 02:32 PM

So ebay is charging taxes in my state now...

Noticed a few days ago that the number did not match after I got something at the bay. Suckers finally charging taxes for VA.... Wonder how much it will affect them now, asking this because probably in other type of goods is not like a big deal.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:44 PM
aka RAEKWON

same here in NY. A couple of times I thought a great deal but not so good after taxes. A bunch more states will join the party next month.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:48 PM
Randomhead

I just saw that on an item that's shipping from China. I take it that ebay is paying the taxes, because the people in China would just keep it.

Just wait until shipping triples because the US is pulling out of the international shipping treaty.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:10 PM

I get paying taxes on new purchases but the taxes on used items annoy me. The tax has lowered a few of my max bids as result on few items. Oh well, life will go on.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:20 PM
Big Bike Love

I just had a buyer email and want to cancel a transaction on eBay after seeing the taxes added on to the price. Oh well..
Old 09-14-2019, 03:36 PM

I'm wondering why they can charge tax on used items. How many times can the same item be taxed?
Old 09-14-2019, 03:48 PM

Who imposes/charges the taxes; eBay on all sales by all sellers in a tax-charging state or the individual seller? Is it an "eBay store" versus "little side-venture not making/declaring profits" thing, or do they now have to charge taxes too?

It sounds like it could be a book-keeping nightmare and expense if "mom and pop" operations are also affected.

Between this and increased shipping costs (+ generally less reliable delivery) I wonder how many small, very marginal sellers will be negatively affected now.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
I'm wondering why they can charge tax on used items. How many times can the same item be taxed?
Used items too??? Yes, how is that possible?
Old 09-14-2019, 03:52 PM

Yeah I was surprised as well, I recently bought a Power Meter off eBay and was surprised and disappointed with the final invoice, I was like where did that number come from?...
Maybe it will help small LBS's
Old 09-14-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
Ever bought a used car?
Old 09-14-2019, 08:23 PM

Some people sell stuff older than before sales taxes existed, now you pay tax on that too. Anyway, eBay started collecting taxes for NJ a few months ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
Ever bought a used car?
Old 09-14-2019, 08:35 PM
Administrator

I used to buy a bunch of “regular” stuff on eBay; consumables like chains tubes stuff like tht. The taxing makes the deals less attractive.

I can see them collecting tax for businesses but not on used crap. That stinks all the way around.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:53 PM

Growing up in NH and watching everyone from everywhere else buy their booze, cigarettes, and large ticket items just over the border makes me wonder if someone in the few tax free states will open a buying and forwarding business? Sort of like those forwarding businesses for overseas buyers.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
Growing up in NH and watching everyone from everywhere else buy their booze, cigarettes, and large ticket items just over the border makes me wonder if someone in the few tax free states will open a buying and forwarding business? Sort of like those forwarding businesses for overseas buyers.
Yes, this is what I want, a trackable record of my tax evasion. If you buy something in Oregon and take it home to Washington, you are required to report it and pay the sales tax. Few people do, but if it there was a business aiding and abetting it would be a gold mine for the Washington authorities.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW2Ford View Post
Yes, this is what I want, a trackable record of my tax evasion. If you buy something in Oregon and take it home to Washington, you are required to report it and pay the sales tax. Few people do, but if it there was a business aiding and abetting it would be a gold mine for the Washington authorities.
So why isn’t Mass., Maine, and Vermont suing non-NH residents for all that lost revenue? There’s a record of every sale...

Last edited by dustyrider; 09-15-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:56 PM

"So why isn’t Mass., Maine, and Vermont suing non-NH residents for all that lost revenue? There’s a record of every sale..."

because it ain't worth their time for most things...Vermonters driving over to buy a 12 pack or whatever simply isn't a thing that would generate any cash...no worries tho, all three of those states tax your ass for things you wouldn't believe otherwise when you live here...they get their money for sure...