Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2021, 01:33 PM

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 04-20-2021 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:45 PM
Resident Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris View Post
I'm considering having Steve Potts build me a 27.5+ with his famous rigid type II fork. I have his 29er with a 100mm fork and have been enjoying it for the last 6 years.

My main concern, looking at this particular one (scroll down a little for complete build pic) :
https://titaniumtrails.com/my-very-o...tts-dream-bike

is that it might feel a bit clunky on the steep climbs on my regular rides in the Verdugos which are around 2000' gain in the 3 miles.

Just guessing the plus size will smooth out the deep ruts and rocks a bit but it's not like I "shred" in mtb lingo. Or ride highly technical single track trails. At almost 68, I'm more of a conservative cross-country type rider. I do like pushing it on the climb getting my heat rate up.

Basically I wanted a 27.5 size. I could just go with a regular 27.5 and get a 120mm shock - Bingham or Stong (who also both build + sizes with 120 mm). But was curious to anyone's experience with the plus size, rigid or suspension corrected.

Thanks.
I'm running 27.5x2.8 on both rigid and hardtail. Apart from weight, there aren't many downsides. Loads of traction and if aired properly, the tire volume can act as passive suspension too. I'm about 170-175lbs and have my tires aired to about 15 rear and 14 front. I've only bottomed out the rear once, but that was my fault when I hucked it straight into a waterbar.

That being said, my next hardtail will be engineered around 27.5x2.6 with the option to go 2.8. The BB height will be adjusted based on 2.6. I find the 2.6 to be a very happy medium. But I'll stick with 2.8 on the full rigid. I'm not going to be winning any DH awards on the rigid, and the 2.8 tires mow over everything.

Big tires can mean big sidewall exposure though. I cut through several WTB Rangers. I'm now running 60TPI EXO Maxxis tires and haven't had an issue.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:51 PM
Meh

One thing to keep in mind is that "plus" tires are often not true to size. I was helping a friend mount and inflate a 27.5x2.8 Minion DHF the other day, and when it was all done, we compared it with my 29x2.5WT Minion DHF and found that my "2.5" 29er tire was wider than his "2.8" plus tire! And this was with a 40mm ID rim on the 27.5 wheel vs. a 30mm ID rim on the 29er wheel...

Last edited by EB; 03-04-2021 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:59 PM

I got into the 27.5+ game just last year, past the prime, with a Salsa Timberjack with 120mm fork. I find the plus size to be very fun to ride. Great traction, a little more cushion, not much of a weight penalty, and did I mention great traction. I wonder why the size has diminished in popularity, I find it so much fun. For reference, I am 47yo, weigh 150lbs, and ride New England style singletrack. While my competitive days are over I still enjoy pushing now and again. I started with a 3" Nobby Nic in the front and a 2.8" WTB Ranger in the rear. The Rangers wear out pretty quick and now have a 3" Rocket Ron on the rear. I give the plus size a big thumbs up.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:03 PM

I have a 27.5 X 2.8 hardtail carbon bike. I just love this bike. Love the way it handles (very agile even with a 66 deg HT angle), super, super playful (getting air on it is easy-peasy), and gobs of traction. I love it so much that I am making a titanium version of it for more comfort.

The only thing is that on 35 mm internal width rims, the Maxxis Rekon 27.5 X 2.8 measure to 2.63 inches only. But I still love it!
Old 03-04-2021, 03:04 PM

I've had a couple 27.5+ plus bikes, and a 29+. I think a rigid bike used mostly for tooling around in the woods, maybe with bikepacking load, or not, is pretty much the perfect thing to do with this wheel size. I love the wheel size, but here are some experiences, just so you go in with eyes open.

1) pressure is really important. a psi in either direction is the difference between squirmy sidewalls in the corners on one side or riding an undamped basketball off every rock and root in the trail on the other. The latter factor is even more pronounced on a rigid bike.

2) as stated above, you do have a lot of sidewall exposure. If you've got a lot of sidewall slashing rocks in your trails, then stay away from anything marketed as light and supple.

3) there's a lot of cush in the tires, but it's not the same as good suspension. If you are planning on some hard charging descents, the limitations of the platform will become apparent quickly.

4) also as mentioned above, tire sizing is all over the place. expect anything from 2.55" to 3.1" real diameter out of the 27.5 x 2.8 and 3.0 market.

Ultimately for me, I was happier on 29x2.6 for most of the things I would have used a 27.5x2.8 or 3.0 bike for. Just a bit more rollover without feeling like I was about to fold sidewalls all the time.