Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2021, 11:57 AM

Not quite sure why, but when I switched from french press to pour over in the fall, my coffee consumption dropped by fifty percent (two cups to one)...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-03-2021, 12:00 PM
il Curmudgeoni

I can easily recall the last time that I drank coffee.....the year was 1989. We were at a range in Germany, I didn't have a coat (it was nice in Bonn when we left some 3-4 hours earlier) and it was spitting snow. The only warm drink available was coffee.

There are at least 3 different varieties of loose leaf tea in my kitchen.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:07 PM

i'm definitely a coffee drinker, but since working from home, i've taken to having a cup of green tea in the mid afternoon. i enjoy both, but if i had to pick just one it would be coffee no question.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:14 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I just skip to truckerspeed.
Pervitin used to be sold over the counter......
Old 03-03-2021, 12:57 PM

Mushroom tea can replace the need for caffeine.

Can affect your "vision" at different brewing strengths so enjoy responsibly.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:06 PM
aka RAEKWON

I drink coffee because it tastes amazing, the caffeine is just bonus. I love tea too but if I could have a choice it would be coffee 10/10 times
Old 03-03-2021, 01:20 PM

I've been a heavy tea or coffee drinker in different years.

Tea does have more caffeine/g than coffee.

But if you're making a 10 oz cup of loose leaf tea gourmet style you'll use 2g of tea maybe.

For coffee you'd use more like 20g.

That's why a cup of coffee can have so much more caffeine.

There's never been any scientific proof there's any difference between the caffeine in coffee vs tea vs Yerba Mate. Especially with Yerba Mate there has been plenty of psuedo-science about it having a different type of caffeine.

The differences have more to do with the balance of other compounds in tea vs coffee and how different people metabolize those different compounds.

Both tea and coffee can be amazing or terrible IMO.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:27 PM

I am a slave to espresso. I definitely drink way more than I should. I like a nice tooth-grinding buzz throughout the day.

Back when we used to work in the office, I always kept my own personal Nespresso machine directly on my desk so I could keep a constant intake going. Some others in the office called it a "power move." I just call it getting work done.

Tea?????? Come on, let's be adults here.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:53 PM

I'm a retired submariner, I'm a coffee achiever. On my last sub we would buy bags of roasted beans from Costco because it was cheaper and better than anything we'd get through the navy supply system. Grind the beans, make the coffee, drink. A good cup of coffee fixes a lot of bad things.

Now I mostly drink decaf because I like the taste more than the buzz.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:57 PM

Why choose?

I drink both.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:00 PM

I remember people doing something called Crank in the 80's
Old 03-03-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I'm a retired submariner, I'm a coffee achiever. On my last sub we would buy bags of roasted beans from Costco because it was cheaper and better than anything we'd get through the navy supply system. Grind the beans, make the coffee, drink. A good cup of coffee fixes a lot of bad things.
I heard that 'boat' (AKA sub) guys got better food and drinks because operating in a sub is so much worse than being on a ship - any truth to that?
Old 03-03-2021, 03:16 PM

We must not have many Brits/Indians/Asians in here otherwise I'd expect more pushback on all this coffee love.

I am somewhat not as sure about why people think Espresso is such rocket fuel. You have to drink a lot of double shots to down as much caffeine as american style coffee.

Depending on who does the tests a double shot is only 60-80mg of caffeine.. that's childs play compared to some of these gigantic starbucks drip coffees or the heart attack energy drinks.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
I heard that 'boat' (AKA sub) guys got better food and drinks because operating in a sub is so much worse than being on a ship - any truth to that?
The only thing that makes it better is they're cooking for smaller groups. I was in Special Projects so we operated differently. We would buy much of our loadout at Costco because we could get name brands or the excellent Kirkland Supreme, usually at a lower cost than the supply system. We bought Tully's beans in bags because it was much higher quality and we could store more bags than tins.

I served on carriers after I was an officer, the wardroom had an espresso machine, self serve. I upped my skillset as a barista.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
Hah as a teen I loved 'BAWLS'

I drink both but coffee has far more caffeine. The average cup of tea has 20-30mg, while a large Starbucks can hit over 200mg.
Some Starbucks drinks have far more caffeine that that. The FDA recommends a maximum of 400 mg of caffiene per day.
, which they say is about 4 or 5 cups of coffee. But some Starbucks can have as much as much as 475 mg of caffeine, or about 20% more than the recommended limit.

Some believe that Starbucks purposely boosts the caffeine content of their drinks, as way to get people addicted and keep coming back.