Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
HA, I'm just the opposite..impulse selling..Not riding a bunch so thinned the bike stuff herd quite a bit. Kept stuff I 'may' need for the 2 rigs I 'ride', but moved along the ders, shifters, cogsets, cranks, BBs I didn't need or want.

Into a different 'leisure time activity' these days, that isn't way expensive but not 'cheap' either with it's own shortages and scarcity..
LOL!!! I am an impulse seller, swearing to thin down, and then once I thin down, I become an impulse buyer, only to repeat the cycle over and over again from impulse seller, impulse buyer, impulse seller, a never ending loop.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:43 PM

As of five years ago when we bought a new house and moved way too much crap from the old one, I'm at a point where I just don't want to accumulate more stuff, especially if I don't really need it. Maybe the fact that I'm now pushing 50 is contributing to this attitude.

I do still have the impulse to pounce on a good deal, but 99% of the time I can let it go.

I have four distinct bikes covering the types of riding I like to do and at this point I'm practicing one-in-one-out. Recently replaced my gravel bike and I must say it felt good to sell the old one (local sale to a co-worker, very convenient).
Old 03-03-2021, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
I fell for the same Pactimo link. Have new product coming in a full drawer...
LOL. me too. Nice stuff!

As I tell my spouse, you gotta spend to save.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:51 PM

When I find a deal here that I cannot refuse, it forces me to pass along the thing(s) it replaces and I try to pass along a good deal as well.

Perpetual motion of buying and selling I suppose. Nothing wrong with that!
Old 03-03-2021, 07:22 PM

I've acquired multiple frames here for which I wasn't really in the market, but they popped up and there aren't all that many in my size. My solution to impulse buying is to already have too much stuff and a new car takes away my rationalization for spending so much on cycling.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:54 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
Jealous of everyone who mentioned Pactimo. I bought some bibs and a wind jacket from that sale and my package is stuck in the USPS COVID black hole of nowhere with no ETA and no current known location...
there is hope! two packages arrived from overseas, took forever. i wondered if i would ever see them.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:24 PM

Facebook Marketplace is another bad place for impulse buying. I’ve bought more bikes off it in the past year than I care to admit. I find more deals there than on Craigslist or OfferUp, although I’ve bought a few from there too. Strangely enough, I still have the best luck selling bikes on Craigslist. Here’s today’s Facebook Marketplace impulse buy:

Old 03-04-2021, 11:11 AM

I'm a musician, so for many years, my impulse buying habits would result in incredible amounts of trumpet gear showing up to the house every week. Let me tell you, if you think that bikers have a problem with gear obsession, you should see what it's like in the trumpet world. My goodness.

But now that it's been an entire year since my last live music gig (!!!!!) I have wholly switched over my impulse buying to bikes. I have no regrets. It's been a blast.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
I'm a musician, so for many years, my impulse buying habits would result in incredible amounts of trumpet gear showing up to the house every week. Let me tell you, if you think that bikers have a problem with gear obsession, you should see what it's like in the trumpet world. My goodness.

But now that it's been an entire year since my last live music gig (!!!!!) I have wholly switched over my impulse buying to bikes. I have no regrets. It's been a blast.
You're smart. You had a backup plan.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:07 PM
bourbon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Into a different 'leisure time activity' these days, that isn't way expensive but not 'cheap' either with it's own shortages and scarcity..
I can't find an ammo either
Old 03-04-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
You're smart. You had a backup plan.
Ha! So true. And remarkably, through all of this, my girlfriend has been amazingly supportive of my irresponsible buying habits, both musical and cycling. (Of course, I bought her a nice bike as a present so she could ride with me. That got me a lot of leeway to buy nice toys for me!)
Old 03-04-2021, 01:39 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
I can't find an ammo either
I just scored some 38 plinking rounds.

Impulse urge status: triggered....those Shimal Mille C17s in the Classified are calling...I'm trying so hard not to pick up the call!
Old 03-04-2021, 06:03 PM

Took a little break from cycling and hadn't visited site in awhile, but getting back on the bike again so I logged into Paceline to see what's happening...next thing you know I'm shopping for a new cold brew pitcher and sweatpants. So thanks guys.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojingoh View Post
Same here - I've got weak leg, butt and hip muscles besides the cycling ones - so I took up inline skating this winter.
What's crazy is that the bar none nicest kit in the sport costs about $1500, inclusive. Of course, you're also inline skating
I feel like they should have to pay you instead

Just kidding. I've tossed the idea around a bit myself.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHour View Post
Took a little break from cycling and hadn't visited site in awhile, but getting back on the bike again so I logged into Paceline to see what's happening...next thing you know I'm shopping for a new cold brew pitcher and sweatpants. So thanks guys.
Whatever you do, don't read the truck thread. That could get expensive!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy