Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2021, 09:16 PM

Impulse buying

Paceline is terrible for those of us who struggle with impulse buying. I saw a take-off gruppo the other day for a good price. I thought, "I'm not going to impulse buy it. I'll wait a day."

Of course it was gone, and now I regret it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:39 PM
Deconditioned!

It's true. This place is the worst. Complete enabling in effect.

I have bought so much stuff that I probably don't need.

And.

It's been awesome.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:00 PM
Shifty Member

I have some nice new Pactimo kit that I didn't need thanks to PL. But it is really good. Plus more rubber than I'll go through in the next 5 years and a whole bench of stems, seatposts, tools, and other assorted things. I love this place but sometimes it does not mesh with my ADHD impulses.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2021, 10:05 PM

I fell for the same Pactimo link. Have new product coming in a full drawer...
Old 03-02-2021, 11:01 PM

I have no idea what you’re talking about. Nope. Not me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2021, 04:54 AM

I can't really blame this forum as I have only just joined. In the last week alone I've bought this stuff I don't need: a Chinese steel road frame from Amazon (last 55 available so FOMO got me), a Red AXS groupset + crank, chain, cassette, XDR hub, BB, BB tools (hard to find parts on very good discount, I already have 11 speed eTap on this bike and Force AXS on another) and a 6 degree Zipp SL Stem (17 degree one I have doesn't look right with sloping top tube, but this is my turbo bike that no one sees!). I now have 2 spare groupsets in my garage (R7000, and 10 speed Rival) plus assorted bars, seatposts etc, but instead of selling them, I'm more likely to buy frames to mount them on, and then have to buy all the other stuff to make the complete bike. I am also a sucker for buying tyres just because they're cheap and building wheels that I don't need.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:07 AM
Proud Grandpa

HA, I'm just the opposite..impulse selling..Not riding a bunch so thinned the bike stuff herd quite a bit. Kept stuff I 'may' need for the 2 rigs I 'ride', but moved along the ders, shifters, cogsets, cranks, BBs I didn't need or want.

Into a different 'leisure time activity' these days, that isn't way expensive but not 'cheap' either with it's own shortages and scarcity..
Old 03-03-2021, 06:18 AM

I have a problem too. Most days, the first thing I do when I log onto a computer is check the classifieds here. And I am constantly checking classifieds at other sites, which I see others do based on the PSA thread here.

I am always looking. Thing is, I don't NEED anything, and just sold off a bunch of bikes and parts in the last year as I realized I was hoarding more than I needed, and maintaining 6 bikes was more work than I was willing to do.

Part of it for me is the thrill of the hunt, but also trying new things out. I have been pretty successful in setting a couple new rules for purchases, impulse or not. Following these two has cut down on purchases and clutter.

1. I have to be honest to myself on how I will use this new bike/part/clothing immediately (not put in a drawer as I might need some day) and how it will improve compared to what I currently have.

2. If it is something that takes the place of something I already have - I have to sell the old item.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
I have a problem too. Most days, the first thing I do when I log onto a computer is check the classifieds here. And I am constantly checking classifieds at other sites, which I see others do based on the PSA thread here.

I am always looking. Thing is, I don't NEED anything, and just sold off a bunch of bikes and parts in the last year as I realized I was hoarding more than I needed, and maintaining 6 bikes was more work than I was willing to do.

Part of it for me is the thrill of the hunt, but also trying new things out. I have been pretty successful in setting a couple new rules for purchases, impulse or not. Following these two has cut down on purchases and clutter.

1. I have to be honest to myself on how I will use this new bike/part/clothing immediately (not put in a drawer as I might need some day) and how it will improve compared to what I currently have.

2. If it is something that takes the place of something I already have - I have to sell the old item.
the 1 in 1 out rule is a good principle that i have a hard time abiding by haha! at this point, i have more odds and ends that i know what to do with, so it's probably time to kondo most of it
Old 03-03-2021, 08:52 AM

I'm sure I would impulse buy more if there was any budget leeway. It's especially interesting when you see something show up for sale that rarely comes up. "Well, if I buy it now, I'll end up saving money later..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Into a different 'leisure time activity' these days, that isn't way expensive but not 'cheap' either with it's own shortages and scarcity..
Wait, does this mean you're running again? I know running shoes aren't cheap...
Old 03-03-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:

...disc golf ?

Old 03-03-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Same here - I've got weak leg, butt and hip muscles besides the cycling ones - so I took up inline skating this winter.
What's crazy is that the bar none nicest kit in the sport costs about $1500, inclusive. Of course, you're also inline skating
Old 03-03-2021, 09:20 AM

I think he's fishing..

Well, besides his primary gig of gkid wrangler. Lots of runnin' in that!
Old 03-03-2021, 02:08 PM

Jealous of everyone who mentioned Pactimo. I bought some bibs and a wind jacket from that sale and my package is stuck in the USPS COVID black hole of nowhere with no ETA and no current known location...
Old 03-03-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
HA, I'm just the opposite..impulse selling..
In this group right now. There's some parts I've been meaning to list for a long time, but never seem to get around to actually doing it. Then, all of a sudden people are posting WTB ads for these things. Better on your bike than in my bin.