Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2021, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Value/Ride Discussion: Serotta Huffy Team 7-Eleven

This bike is my size and it's pretty cool, i've always liked the 7-Eleven team paint scheme.

That said, I would never buy a bike just to look at it, I buy them to ride them, and realistically, this one is well over what i would pay and the reserve is not yet met.

It's an old bike with old parts and plenty of cosmetic wear.

I know value and worth can vary wildly based on a number of factors, but what do you folks think of this one? how would the ride of this 33 year old bike compare to that of modern steel for a low power/weight rider.

cool bike, but i'm out of the running for sure.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Team-7...53.m1431.l2649

Old 03-01-2021, 02:11 PM

Bunki Bankaitis-Davis lived in Boulder and she passed away recently. I wonder if this is her bike.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/for...is-dies-at-63/

Old 03-01-2021, 02:17 PM

The True Temper Serotta/Huffy's didn't have the best reputation for reliability. I would assume if this frame made it this far and hasn't cracked you're probably fine, but seen more than a couple of these as nothing more than wall art.

Hampsten had that Landshark for the Giro for a reason.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:19 PM

I love older bikes, I love that generation of DA, but there are limitations. It’s less about weight and geometry and more about gearing, tire size, etc. Would take a really low price for me to move.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:55 PM

I agree with you. If you get it, ride it. That’s what the bike was created to do.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:58 PM

I suspect the bike would ride great. It certainly depends on what you are used to and how picky you are. However, based on other prices I have seen for old steel bikes lately that one is already more than I would pay. It's just a paint job.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:14 PM

I think it's overpriced but not wildly so. Out of all the 80's steel racers, the 7-11 team bikes probably command the biggest premium. If you're looking for a quality 80's steel bike, you can definitely get in the door with a top notch bike for less than $1K these days. My most modern steel bike is 20 years old so I don't know for sure what you'd be giving up but if you fit out with modern wheels and parts, I'd guess you wouldn't sacrifice too much. Otherwise, if you go with 80's components, it's just a little bit of weight, maybe some shifting convenience, and probably a max tire size of 25 to 28 mm.

I love me some 80's and 90's steel racers!
Old 03-01-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post

I need to come back "home" and pay you a visit. Or at least your bikes, LOL!
Old 03-01-2021, 07:05 PM

Having "modernized" many an old steel bike I'd say you're not giving nothing up in ride quality. Value on this is high to even me though and I'll certainly speed too much on an old steel bike I do want.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:32 PM

I haven't moved yet and I miss my basement already.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:40 PM

I felt similarly. I had one and felt like it was too much of a museum piece and sold it.

I put it on ebay for about $3500 Buy it now or best offer and it sold in less than 12 hours. I want to say that was around 2014-2015

That being said Im not sure about the variations of the TdF Serotta/Huffy 7/11 but the one on ebay doesnt have the signature seat cluster lug that mine had. Maybe thats why it isnt selling so fast. Now that im looking again the eBay 7/11 doesnt have the TdF lug set in the fork crown also

Last edited by jtakeda; 03-01-2021 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:01 PM

yeah, hard to jump on that. you can get a lot of rim brake bike for $1000 these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
This bike is my size and it's pretty cool, i've always liked the 7-Eleven team paint scheme.

That said, I would never buy a bike just to look at it, I buy them to ride them, and realistically, this one is well over what i would pay and the reserve is not yet met.

It's an old bike with old parts and plenty of cosmetic wear.

I know value and worth can vary wildly based on a number of factors, but what do you folks think of this one? how would the ride of this 33 year old bike compare to that of modern steel for a low power/weight rider.

cool bike, but i'm out of the running for sure.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Team-7...53.m1431.l2649

Old 03-01-2021, 08:08 PM
Robin (she/her)

i have, or had, a 50cm Club Special and I gave it to my daughter bc it was so stiff I just could not stand riding it more than thirty mins! 37.5” wheelbase! Ben may have relaxed the geometry on these tho.

pretty cool bike, and yes, if it has not failed by now, it prob will not.
you only live once!

its the size that is keeping number of watchers low.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:24 PM

Could that candy apple blue bike in the middle be an early 80's de Rosa? Maybe my old bike, that I was crazy stupid to replace with Kestrel 4000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
I think it's overpriced but not wildly so. Out of all the 80's steel racers, the 7-11 team bikes probably command the biggest premium. If you're looking for a quality 80's steel bike, you can definitely get in the door with a top notch bike for less than $1K these days. My most modern steel bike is 20 years old so I don't know for sure what you'd be giving up but if you fit out with modern wheels and parts, I'd guess you wouldn't sacrifice too much. Otherwise, if you go with 80's components, it's just a little bit of weight, maybe some shifting convenience, and probably a max tire size of 25 to 28 mm.

Old 03-01-2021, 08:34 PM

Looks like a Zabel Colnago

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Could that candy apple blue bike in the middle be an early 80's de Rosa? Maybe my old bike, that I was crazy stupid to replace with Kestrel 4000