Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2021, 02:29 PM

If you want a treat, and have bit of free cash - check out Tyler Place in Highgate Springs VT. Family resort on Lake Champlain. It's way up there. They care for your kids (am and dinner) allowing good time together. Riding is from flat to grunting hills. We spent many years up there, on bridge season. Yes one week we were there it rained all week, we came back with smiles on our faces with our mountain bikes, weather be damned.

Food is excellent, all you can eat.

Let this bug go disappear!

Personally, Killington - I would go bit further north on 100 and stay in Waterbury. Easier access to Burlington, Stowe and pretty NE town.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:05 PM

Midcoast Maine

I live in Brunswick, Maine about 30 miles Northwest of Portland. I enjoy many great local rides in the Midcoast area. Pretty easy to find some nice back roads, but any coastal rides tend to get traffic in the summer. I wouldn't consider it a "destination" for epic, beautiful rides but it is a great area to live in as a cyclist. The roads right around Portland are pretty congested, but Portland is a great town. If you do end up in Maine, here is a link to my cycling club's website that has maps of the best local loops. https://mwbc.wildapricot.org/

David
Old 01-29-2021, 03:24 PM

If it’s gravel you’re after, riding around Quabbin Reservoir is probably my new favorite route in New England. Wonderful surface, feels incredibly remote, and just beautiful.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantdog View Post
If it’s gravel you’re after, riding around Quabbin Reservoir is probably my new favorite route in New England. Wonderful surface, feels incredibly remote, and just beautiful.
is this route enjoyable on 32c tires, or would wider be better? Is the route on Ride with GPS? My parents live near there and I would love to check it out. I've ridden around Quabbin on pavement and it is a great area.

David
Old 01-29-2021, 04:20 PM

Someone mentioned Brattelboro VT, yeah the riding up there is pretty fantastic, you can also base yourself in Northampton MA and ride towards Brattelboro.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Maine View Post
is this route enjoyable on 32c tires, or would wider be better? Is the route on Ride with GPS? My parents live near there and I would love to check it out. I've ridden around Quabbin on pavement and it is a great area.

David
Pretty bumpy in there, so whatever your butt can handle. Certainly the road around are perfect for 32's. Quabbin isn't open all, limited cycling

https://www.mass.gov/doc/quabbin-res...chure/download
Old 01-29-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
I'd also recommend having a look at the Killington area.
There is some really great road riding to be had in the area, and really good gravel and Mountain biking as well in case you want to try those (the local shops rent both gravel and mountain bikes)
There are also lots of fun things to do in the area so your wife wouldn't get bored.
I spent a week up there in the summer of 2019 with my family and everyone had a great time.
Spending the winter in Woodstock, 15 or so miles east of Killington on Rt. 4. The riding around here is ridiculously good. Every terrain you could possibly want, except flat.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:05 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Check out the Cooperstown, NY area. Wonderful cycling (road and gravel), many lodging options, attractions for non-cyclists, and several forum members in the area who can provide route recommendations. If you want accommodations a bit more upscale, check out The Inn at Cooperstown. The owners are experienced cyclists and just wonderful people.

Greg
We do aim to please.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
Spending the winter in Woodstock, 15 or so miles east of Killington on Rt. 4. The riding around here is ridiculously good. Every terrain you could possibly want, except flat.
Your blog has some of the best cycling writing I've seen.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:42 PM

All this is seriously making me think about returning to the East Coast.. trading annual unbreathable air for an occasional nor'easter seems manageable. I think your housing is somewhat more affordable too (outside of the centers). Hmm.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:43 PM

Vermont. Vermont. Vermont. Vermont...

Quick: New England Fall...which state comes to mind. That's right. VERMONT.

I've been obsessed with the picturesque beauty of Vermont since I was in elementary school and wrote a book report on it. So, all of my "Bucket List" rides are from the Green Mountain State.

1) Originating from Middlebury: Lincoln/APP Gap
2) From Middlebury again: Middlebury/Brandon Gap
3) Northeast Kingdom Tour (From Burke) Along Lakes Willoughby, Salem, and Seymour
4) From Brattleboro (my favorite VT town) Molly Stark Byway up through the Green Mts to Somerset and Stratton/Arlington and Dover back to Brattleboro.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
All this is seriously making me think about returning to the East Coast.. trading annual unbreathable air for an occasional nor'easter seems manageable. I think your housing is somewhat more affordable too (outside of the centers). Hmm.
Fair warning. It was 6 degrees when I woke up this AM, but rocketed up towards 8 degrees by the time I left the house.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:01 PM

I agree with almost everything posted here. I think I’d just chime in that we have a lot of pretty towns, and given your family situation it might make sense to anchor yourself in one of them (Woodstock Vt, Hanover nh, Brunswick me, middlebury vt, Camden me, etc) and ride from there.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbh View Post
Fair warning. It was 6 degrees when I woke up this AM, but rocketed up towards 8 degrees by the time I left the house.
14" storm forecasted Mon night
Old 01-30-2021, 04:50 AM

New England biking....Yes, 3 degrees here this morning. Yes, snow forecasted monday-tuesday..... but - temps to be in the low 40s in a week. I am planning my first outdoor ride then. 40 degrees is my threshold. Intervals are fine. Long, slow distance not so much, I get too sweaty and cold. For me, it is indoors Dec, Jan., most of February. For the most part Feb and Nov. are iffy. You might get some warm warmer days, emphasis on some.
You gotta love rollers or the trainer.

But, roads are sweet. Busier roads have shoulders (gotta put the snow someplace). Depending on where you are, I seldom need to ride on those roads. Precious little traffic on country back roads. Most are circuitous, ie. few long straightaways. Lots of forest and hills. Lots of dirt roads too, if you are into the gravel scene (I did d2r2, was fun, but I prefer the tarmac.)