Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2021, 12:00 PM

NE Road Rides worth traveling for?

It's cold in NYC today so I've decided to start planning a summer getaway, and I've come here to ask for opinions. Our vacations this year have been limited to 1-4 hour drives to rural Airbnb's, so this trip will likely follow suit. I'll be bringing my family (1 wife + 1 toddler) and will try and loop in a couple riding buddies and their families to share an Airbnb, from which we'll go on day-rides. We're based in NYC so I'm currently eyeballing Maine, but haven't gotten any further or more specific than that. We'll be on road bikes, so gravel or mtb. rides are out.

What have been your favorite road rides in the NE? Pics welcome.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:05 PM

Vermont, Champlain Valley. Awesome rides, great climbing opportunities, wonderful people. Gorgeous scenery, good beer.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:33 PM

Finger Lakes have all that you seek and, much to my surprise, it was less crowded when we were there in the Summer than New England. We stayed in Canandaigua. It is a charming town with a lovely clean lake and--TA-DA--is home to the NY Wine and Culinary Institute where we had yummy meals and wine at very reasonable prices. Sounds like you will be doing most meals at home so you should be thrilled with the wonderful offerings from Wegman's Market.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:36 PM
I need you cool.

Riding in new places is fun!

If you need a bike rack....check the classifieds.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:36 PM

I'd recommend Delaware County, NY, in the northwestern Catskills. Spectacular scenery with very little traffic. It's about three hours from the city.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:53 PM

Road, gravel, mtn?

Coast of Maine gets pretty busy traffic. Inland just logging truck and loneness for the family (personal opinion)

Southwestern VT, NY easy drive, Dorset area is beautiful, as well as interesting for the family. Champlain valley is great, but bit longer.

Western MA, Great Barrington, Lenox is also great.

If you want flatter - head east towards Newport RI and ride some beautiful coastal areas, add Mystic CT along the way. (Newport itself is not my cup of tea)
Old 01-29-2021, 01:03 PM

Thanks all! Great tips so far.

@fiammered – We frequent the Catskills, and I agree it's spectacular scenery, but I'm hoping to try somewhere new.

I'm seeing a pattern of recommendations north along the NY border (Western MA, Champlain Valley, Dorset area) and then the Finger Lakes region which I hadn't thought of. Will do some research.

Good points about Maine @steveandbarb1. I didn't love inland Maine and the coast seems like such a destination that it makes sense that traffic would be an issue. I recall being stuck in traffic for at least an hour on 2 lane road leading into Bar Harbor once.

Anyone know what its like around Portland Maine?
Old 01-29-2021, 01:10 PM
Administrator

check out this thread if covered bridges are your jam...

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...overed+bridges
Old 01-29-2021, 01:16 PM

Scarborough is a wonderful spot. 10 min to Portland and right down the road to some of the summer beach scene. Riding is very good, actual rides I forgot as it was 80's last rode there. Wonderful kayaking, there is an Audubon estuary which rents boats.

Your original request was 1-3 hours --- now you are pushing 5 hours with baby!
Old 01-29-2021, 01:16 PM

I am in the foot hills of the southern Adirondacks. The road riding is pretty excellent and there are plenty of back roads to travel as well as some dirt/gravel/mountain if that is your thing.

The other area is in the Cherry Valley area or a little north of there. Lots of beautiful scenery and great riding.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:29 PM

I'd also recommend having a look at the Killington area.
There is some really great road riding to be had in the area, and really good gravel and Mountain biking as well in case you want to try those (the local shops rent both gravel and mountain bikes)
There are also lots of fun things to do in the area so your wife wouldn't get bored.
I spent a week up there in the summer of 2019 with my family and everyone had a great time.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:44 PM

Check out the Cooperstown, NY area. Wonderful cycling (road and gravel), many lodging options, attractions for non-cyclists, and several forum members in the area who can provide route recommendations. If you want accommodations a bit more upscale, check out The Inn at Cooperstown. The owners are experienced cyclists and just wonderful people.

Greg
Old 01-29-2021, 01:53 PM

I just moved here, but the riding in NW Massachusetts is pretty fabulous, ducking into southern VT and NH.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:07 PM

Honestly, I find the road riding in ME not very good. We have spent a lot of time in ME, mostly along the coast, and I find it limited. The roads are sparse, so when there is a road, it can be busy with higher speed limits, and a bit boring. Somebody please chime in if they differ. Plus, it's kind of far from you.

Closer to you, I much prefer riding in central and western MA. The CT river valley is a good place to stay, and you can ride in the valley, and venture into the hills for great stuff (think D2R2). Continue into southern VT, like the Brattleboro area. Never ridden in western CT, but I understand it's very good also.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:25 PM

Vt/Mass/NH

Depends on the kind of cycling you desire.
If you get at place somewhere in that corner of the three States:
1. Angry notes covered bridges. There are 5 in the Swanzey area. Nice riding.
2. Take a drive to Mt. Greylock. There are 2 roads up. Great climbing and terrific views. Nice place on top for a picnic or for hiking. They run a time trial there in September.
3. Drive up to Mt.Ascutney. Usually very few cars or cyclists. Check out pjamm site for review of climb. Depending on your age, condition - one challenging climb. 1:1 gear ratio recommended. All depends on where you are at.
4. Up west side from Brattleboro to Bellows Falls, across river, down to Walpole and over the mountain to Keene and find your way back to Brattleboro area. Probably around 80 miles, maybe more. Tough but beautiful climb. Scenic New England.
5. Lots of routes down Conn. River toward Northampton.