Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
Partey Time, Its Thomas Partey time
Despite your lousy owner (no surprise there, someone who married into Wal-Mart fortune), I gotta say that things look bright for the Gunners. Good coach with an excellent crop of youngsters, including Marlo Stansfield's doppelganger. The former is a dead-eyed assassin; the latter is a dead-eyed striker on the field.

Also, RIP Gunnarsaurus...
Old 10-15-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Despite your lousy owner (no surprise there, someone who married into Wal-Mart fortune), I gotta say that things look bright for the Gunners. Good coach with an excellent crop of youngsters, including Marlo Stansfield's doppelganger. The former is a dead-eyed assassin; the latter is a dead-eyed striker on the field.

Also, RIP Gunnarsaurus...
Not sure i rate Nketiah, but time will tell. i do like the additional spine with Partey and Gabriel...

Gabriel is the best central defender we have had in some time, and hes young and just learning, so thats good. Partey is the workhorse in the middle who we have missed for so long. i think his opresense will allow willian a bit more freedom and let pepe play as an outside midfielder. id put auba up top and saka on the left, play ceballos and partey in the central role and now you have 2 CMs who work hard, get in tackles, and play optimistic balls in the slots. but coach will continue to use auba out wide for some reason, even though hes more deadly in the middle.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:14 PM

Gunners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
Not sure i rate Nketiah, but time will tell. i do like the additional spine with Partey and Gabriel...

Gabriel is the best central defender we have had in some time, and hes young and just learning, so thats good. Partey is the workhorse in the middle who we have missed for so long. i think his opresense will allow willian a bit more freedom and let pepe play as an outside midfielder. id put auba up top and saka on the left, play ceballos and partey in the central role and now you have 2 CMs who work hard, get in tackles, and play optimistic balls in the slots. but coach will continue to use auba out wide for some reason, even though hes more deadly in the middle.
Agree that I'm not sold on Nketiah just yet. Doesn't add anything to buildup or passing. He's young.

Slightly disagree Auba is deadly from the left and even when he lines up centrally drifts left anyway. But if it gets Saka in I'm for it as he seems to be one who can carry the ball between the lines something the Gunners have been missing for awhile ( how I would love a young healthy Cazorla)

I think he might move to a midfield three soon enough and we could try Ceballos or Saka as a higher midfield option.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:58 AM

well that was some shyte officiating

Pickford scissor-kicked Van Dijk, injuring the latter in the process. Not even a card, b/c VVD was off-side...

And then the goal ridiculously chalked off by VAR.

Last but not least, Richarlison is quite a snide player. Studs-up challenge today, eight yellow cards last year, and another straight red two years ago...
Old 10-21-2020, 01:24 PM

This is interesting, Shaktar put three past Real before the latter responded
Old 11-01-2020, 12:38 PM

Shambolic performance from Man U there. Swashbuckling in the Champions League, yet quite meek playing at home against Arsenal.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:48 PM

Anyone catch the USMNT performance yesterday?

For a moment, they looked the part of an attack-minded first-tier European team, overloading the flanks, sending in pinpoint crosses, etc. Also doesn't hurt that the left back is an Ajax academy graduate and currently plays for Barça.

Who knows, maybe for once the MNT will beat El Tri at the Estadio Azeteca.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:51 PM

In other news, Germany spectacularly failed its test tonight: in the form of an unexpectedly stern examination meted out by inquisitors from Spain.

Last edited by echappist; 11-17-2020 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-17-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:

For a moment, they looked the part of an attack-minded first-tier European team, overloading the flanks, sending in pinpoint crosses, etc. Also doesn't hurt that the left back is an Ajax academy graduate and currently plays for Barça.

8/15/2012 - US beats Mex at Azteca
Old 11-17-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
In other news, Germany spectacularly failed its test tonight: in the form of an unexpectedly stern examination meted out by inquisitors from Spain.
Bye bye Jogi
Old 11-17-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
Bye bye Jogi
One of his former disciples is doing well, so i hear, even managed to thump a Spanish team last year. Personally, I would not 8-2 see said former disciple take charge of Germany

-------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar77 View Post
8/15/2012 - US beats Mex at Azteca
Opps, you're right of course. I meant to say competitive matches (e.g. Concacaf Hex matches)

Last edited by echappist; 11-17-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:

Yes, they put in 6, but they looked so lost during the first 25 minutes of the second half. And that was against Panama...
Old 11-17-2020, 07:24 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
Bye bye Jogi
Long overdue.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:41 PM

Didn’t see Spain-Germany game, was watching France-Sweden. So if Low is gone, who is the replacement? Can’t imagine it would be Klopp, maybe one day, but not now, he’s not silly I think. And probably more importantly, who would one select as defenders for Germany?
Old 11-17-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
Long overdue.
Good thing Herr Klopp signed that contract extension. Otherwise DFB might try to pry him away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
Yes, they put in 6, but they looked so lost during the first 25 minutes of the second half. And that was against Panama...
Well, baby steps. Also, yes, it's Panama, but one of the teams playing yesterday made it to the World Cup group stages in 2018, and that team is not the USMNT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galgal View Post
Didn’t see Spain-Germany game, was watching France-Sweden. So if Low is gone, who is the replacement? Can’t imagine it would be Klopp, maybe one day, but not now, he’s not silly I think. And probably more importantly, who would one select as defenders for Germany?
Herr Flick is a good choice, but doubtful he'll want to replace his old boss. In which case, Herr Heynckes it is?

As for defense, the issue is not defenders per se (although Koch has a tendency to, umm, c*** it up). It's that the midfield and forward players couldn't be arsed to harry and press today. I get it, the season is quite compact, and quite a few of them are running ragged. If that's the case, time to call in other players and rotate. Müller deserves a recall.

From another perspective, this game was coming. A lot of the really good sides play a ridiculously high line (e.g. Bayern and LFC), and one could only do that when one's midfield and forwards press, thereby limiting good service to forwards making runs behind the high line. Both Bayern and LFC have already been exposed this year (by Hoffenheim and Villa), and Germany getting a pasting was always a possibility. That said, conceding two goals from corners is rather atrocious.

Last edited by echappist; 11-17-2020 at 07:53 PM.