Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2020, 11:25 AM

2020 - 2021 Football / Calcio / Futbol / Fußball Thread

So the new season is underway, thanks to prudent management by government officials and clubs in Europe. Bundesliga is even allowing some spectators to return.

Thiago joins LFC. This is interesting, as he add a bit of creativity and flair somewhat lacking in LFC, not to mention a great work rate. Simply can't expect fullbacks to create all the time, and this gives LFC the ability to pry open tough defenses, as well as additional defensive nous. Also, there's a tasty match between Chelsea and LFC this weekend.

Bale to return to White Hart Lane. Best quip i've read so far:
Quote:
When they asked Bale could he play the '9' , he worryingly replied 'back or front' ?
And last but not least, Higuian sets sail for the retirement league that is the MLS...
Old 09-18-2020, 11:47 AM

Ive been missing sports a lot during corona. And watching fotball with no audience in the stands is special and can be somewhat lackluster imo. I evcen watch it with added crowd noice when available.

Can a 39 year old Zlatan carry Milan to a UCL spot or more?
Can United reposition themselves as a PL power house?
Can Barcelona get some wind in its sails once again?
Can juve win anything but the Serie A once again?
Can anyone beat the mighty germans?

Im really looking forward to this season very much.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:58 AM

All good points. I think Zlatan has a good chance of getting Milan in the top-4.

And ditto to eagerly anticipating this season. I hope it gets to unwound and complete in an orderly fashion.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:14 PM

Thiago to LFC.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:30 PM

@ the Teutonic delegation here, while it's good to see fans back, holy s***, they aren't wearing masks!!!

We know that singing and chanting is quite effective at transmission, and there really are no supporters more vocal than Bundesliga supporters. Great in normal times, probably okay when wearing masks, but masks off?

I didn't catch the Bayern v Schalke match, but I hope the Bavarian fans were more responsible than the Dortmund fans. This really doesn't look good, at all.

-----------------------------------------

Otoh, Espn provides pretty decent coverage. They were hyping up Gio Reyna before the match, and the lad vindicated all that plaudit. Speaking of youth, that BvB squad has 4 players 20 or younger (Bellingham, Reyna, Sancho, and Haaland), though two of those already have significant amount of experience. I hope they can upset the apple cart and hegemony of Bayern, but I think they may all just be a tad young...
Old 09-19-2020, 04:03 PM
Strong Walker

There were no Bavarian supporters in the arena. as Munich passed the threshold of 50 new infections per 100000. Most Ultra groups, who are responsible for 90% of the singing happening, have declared to not attend any matches before full stadiums are allowed again, so that should not be an issue. In fact the only issue so far were the management teams of both Schalke and Bayern, who chose to skip distancing and picked seats right next to each other in the empty stadium. Health Minister was not amused.

Oh by the way, Bayern proved Schalke are on Barcelona level by also giving them eight.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
There were no Bavarian supporters in the arena. as Munich passed the threshold of 50 new infections per 100000. Most Ultra groups, who are responsible for 90% of the singing happening, have declared to not attend any matches before full stadiums are allowed again, so that should not be an issue. In fact the only issue so far were the management teams of both Schalke and Bayern, who chose to skip distancing and picked seats right next to each other in the empty stadium. Health Minister was not amused.
In light of that, those BvB fans really disappointed. I mean, c'mon, some of the biggest outbreak clusters were in the Ruhr/Rhine valley (including the meat processing plant ran by one of Schalke's board members). So face-palming inducing...

Quote:
Oh by the way, Bayern proved Schalke are on Barcelona level by also giving them eight.

Btw, how about that West Brom/Arsenal reject? Such a marksman, with lots of longer range shots.

Also, three former Schalke players on the Bayern squad. The academy seems alright, they upper management, otoh, don't seem too bright.

There's also the semi-Cruijff turn Lewandowski pulled to set-up Müller's goal. All around exhibition match
Old 09-20-2020, 11:37 AM

Interesting. Thiago starts the second half for Liverpool. He hasn't even been on the team for a full weekend yet.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:55 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
In light of that, those BvB fans really disappointed. I mean, c'mon, some of the biggest outbreak clusters were in the Ruhr/Rhine valley (including the meat processing plant ran by one of Schalke's board members). So face-palming inducing...

Btw, how about that West Brom/Arsenal reject? Such a marksman, with lots of longer range shots.

Also, three former Schalke players on the Bayern squad. The academy seems alright, they upper management, otoh, don't seem too bright.

There's also the semi-Cruijff turn Lewandowski pulled to set-up Müller's goal. All around exhibition match
Gnabry? I never thought he would become that good, but he's on fire and the sky seems to be the limit for him. I like what I see. Oh and there were 4 Schalke players on our team, you missed Nübel who sat next to Ullreich on the bench. I half expected to see him subbed in for a field player and see Neuer playing DM
Lewa was quite shyte all match but that Rabona was something else
Old 09-27-2020, 11:34 AM

Oh boy, anything BvB could do, Bayern could do worse, it seems!

Did not see that one coming.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I

From what I remember, Arsenal/Arsene wanted to keep him, but he wanted more first team assurances. And probably a better contract. I thought he was exciting, I definitely wasn't expecting him to be this impressive and seemingly consistent.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:12 AM
Cranky!

Diego Costa and Luis Suarez, managed by Diego Simeone. Far too early to tell if they will be any good, but I expect them to serve up some drama this year.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
Diego Costa and Luis Suarez, managed by Diego Simeone. Far too early to tell if they will be any good, but I expect them to serve up some drama this year.
shytehousery trifecta

btw, how are you following your Scousers this year? Last season, I was able to watch most of LFC matches and the matches between the "Big Six" on NBCSN. NBC has shunted quite a bit of that to Peacock, so it would appear I would need both.

Would you or anyone else know of a cheap-ish option of obtaining NBCSN? I was under the impression that all of the matches would be on Peacock, but was miffed not to be able to see Leicester put five past Pep
Old 09-28-2020, 09:32 AM
Cranky!

I signed up for Peacock, and it is cheap, but:
  • No FireTV app, and can't stream via browser
  • I also thought they'd have all EPL matches
Old 09-28-2020, 01:40 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Oh boy, anything BvB could do, Bayern could do worse, it seems!

Did not see that one coming.
We have become very spoilt in recent years, i've seen the team show up half drunk in matches after huge wins and lose gloriously 5-2 or so, and no one was bothered
They aren't super human and the thin squad doesn't help. Losing Thiago also may hurt more than some thought, with Martinez gone and possibly Cuisance too (leeds show interest and made an offer) there is a dire need for at least 2 midfielders. Seem to have lost the battle over Dest too. Salihamidzic has his work cut out for him until transfer deadline, that's for sure. Also as talented as he is, the gap between Zirkzee (remember the name!) and Lewa may be too big. Currently, only CB are available in sufficient depth, we only have 3 wingers plus Musiala, all other positions could only be filled by major shifting around positions which doesn't help the playstyle (Müller to CF or winger, Alaba to LB or DM, Kimmich to RB, Davies to winger etc.)

The schedule is packed up to the not-happening winter break, having the smallest squad in the league is a no-no. Signal from management is they see the problem though. Getting Alaba to extend his contract will be prio 1,cant lose him atm.

Last edited by martl; 09-28-2020 at 01:44 PM.