Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2020, 06:02 PM

More on Serotta rebirth

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reta...g#.XlBuhi9MHmo
Old 02-21-2020, 06:08 PM
50 bpm

Cool. I'm looking forward to the e-Ottrott.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:18 PM

i wish him the best

and hope he has a handle on market research. so much competition in every part of the bike biz. what can he do that distinguishes his bikes from the competition? he has/had a great name and product but my fear is the time has passed for being able to capitalize on the name. so can't wait to see how he comes out of the box and finds a way to raise the phoenix out of the ashes.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:24 PM

Disappointed to see the use of Taiwanese tubing and forks, especially at his price points.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Cool. I'm looking forward to the e-Ottrott.
YES!!! So we can ride into our 70’s and 80’s in style and comfort. I’m with you, Mike...
Old 02-21-2020, 07:36 PM

I wonder if they are just saying the carbon tubes and forks or the metal tubes as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum Hill View Post
Disappointed to see the use of Taiwanese tubing and forks, especially at his price points.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:43 PM

it's basically a bikesdirect version of a serotta?
Old 02-21-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
it's basically a bikesdirect version of a serotta?
ahem
Quote:
"Above all else, our goal is to deliver a superior end result to each consumer by applying our deep understanding of bike fit and personalized design coupled with a service network of unsurpassed competency and eliminating any uncertainty."

As a case in point, Serotta said, "for the most part, we will avoid shipping a bicycle to someone's home in a box."

To meet his company's commitment, Serotta is currently establishing a network of industry professionals, including a number of select IBDs, who will work in concert with Serotta's home office. He anticipates establishing relationships with 15 retailers in North America, 10 in Europe and five elsewhere.
What's with the desire to bury a master craftsman? The guy designed tubesets that are still considered too expensive for anyone in the industry to mass produce. If he just started doing that, again all over again, whoever welds them together will be working with some industry leading materials. Not exactly the baitandswitch you are implying.

Having the most technical carbon layups in the biz might just require Taiwan...

I remain excited as always, and super grateful that there is a bike biz and a Ben Serotta. More bikes please.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:40 PM

And what is wrong with bikesdirect.com bikes? Their $1100 Ti frames with fork and head set equal to Ti frames costing many times that. I looked at one recently and couldn't believe what you get for your money. Taiwan knows how to build bike frames.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:44 PM

Devil is in the details, angles and standards. Those things are always a little off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
And what is wrong with bikesdirect.com bikes? Their $1100 Ti frames with fork and head set equal to Ti frames costing many times that. I looked at one recently and couldn't believe what you get for your money. Taiwan knows how to build bike frames.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:46 PM

Man... Wish the guy luck and hope for the best. I don´t understand the pessimism when no one has even seen one of the new bikes.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Devil is in the details, angles and standards. Those things are always a little off
Ora Engineering in Taiwan builds them. Believe they build Ritchey frames also. No one knows more about building Ti frames. Don't fear Hi end Taiwan frames.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Ora Engineering in Taiwan builds them. Believe they build Ritchey frames also. No one knows more about building Ti frames. Don't fear Hi end Taiwan frames.
I purchased one of those bikesdirect.com/Motobecane/ORA Engineering frames through the paceline classifieds. I was absolutely blown away by the build quality of the frame. It rivals any mass-produced bike frames I have owned for welds, alignment, and finish. It fits me perfectly and rides great.

Greg
Old 02-21-2020, 09:46 PM
Barely Hanging On

I’d like to hope these are so good that I contemplate getting one down the road, though that will be many projects from now. The chances of that aren’t high, but I’d love to think about future Serottas being equal to Fireflies.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Above all else, our goal is to deliver a superior end result to each consumer by applying our deep understanding of bike fit and personalized design coupled with a service network of unsurpassed competency and eliminating any uncertainty.
?? Bike shops? Thought he was consumer direct model.

Ah...gonna be interesting to see the 'details' of how and why a IBD would get on this train.
Quote:
To meet his company's commitment, Serotta is currently establishing a network of industry professionals, including a number of select IBDs, who will work in concert with Serotta's home office. He anticipates establishing relationships with 15 retailers in North America, 10 in Europe and five elsewhere.
Quote:
And what is wrong with bikesdirect.com bikes? Their $1100 Ti frames with fork
Nothing but if ben tries to sell, via IBDs, very expensive, off shore produced, metal bikes..that's gonna be a tough one..particularly competing with carbon, carbon, carbon, everywhere...
$4000 Asian produced aluminum complete bike?..Let's say with 105 hydro...about $500 more for ultegra--About $3k
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/di...=274161-171308

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-22-2020 at 06:23 AM.