Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2020, 10:56 AM

One thing that comes up in the reviews of these Caden wheels is how well they brake. TBH, these would not be wet day wheels for me. I ride the Anderson when the roads are wet or it's likely to rain - disc brakes and fenders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
The Caden wheels I have do not have a textured brake track, BUT they stop way better than the ENVE wheels I had with a textured brake track.

If you do a bit of reading not all textured brake tracks are impressive and some smooth brake tracks wheels work really well.

Old 02-23-2020, 10:58 AM

Caveat that I'm in a learning mode here, but what I'm seeing is that the lightweight alloy rims are a good bit narrower than carbon rims. Are there ones I'm missing? Am I wrong that wider is good, for both aerodynamics and for ride/rolling resistance of a given tire?

Always happy to be corrected, esp. with data!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
You could have wheels w/ aluminium rims at this weight and price. As stiff, same weight, better braking and much safer than carbon clinchers.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:41 AM

Somewhat on topic. Old Potatoe is building my son a set of race clinchers. DT 411 rims and 350 hubs 24/28. He is 5'10" and 155# and does collegiate club racing. They'll be great for the shorter circuit and criterium courses.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:40 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Caveat that I'm in a learning mode here, but what I'm seeing is that the lightweight alloy rims are a good bit narrower than carbon rims. Are there ones I'm missing? Am I wrong that wider is good, for both aerodynamics and for ride/rolling resistance of a given tire?

Always happy to be corrected, esp. with data!
Cuz if they get less narrow, they also get heavier. You can only make the wall thickness so thin..both for brake track and support of nipple. I think aerodynamics and ride/rolling resistance ‘may’ be better on a wider rim but small differences, very small..
Old 02-23-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I pulled the tire and tube off the front this morning, and based on the weight I measured, I have a wheelset that weighs 1690g with rim tape. Going to 1500g or more (CC shows the HED at 1500 actual, and typically this is no rim tape) doesn't seem like enough of a delta. Those Decadence wheels Karl pointed me to come in around 1300 with rim tape - almost a pound, which it looks as though would be 2-3X the weight loss of the HED.
I haven't read every single post in this thread, but FWIW I have the Ardennes+ SL. Out of the box I weighed the rear at 806g naked and the front at 596g naked (no rim tape, tube, tire, or skewers). That's 1402g. So the HED-claimed weight of 1485g and the CC weight of 1500g include the skewers. Keep in mind that lots of vendors & manufacturers don't include skewers in their claimed weights.

I weigh 170 lbs and have had no issues with them, and the ride seems pretty good with 25c Corsa G+ and latex tubes.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't read through the thread but Rolf Elan are great wheels:
https://rolfprima.com/products/elan-disc

The clincher set is 1345 gm. They are hand built here in Eugene. The hubs are WI though they call them TdF 4.4. I had a pair for years and even though I weigh 170 lbs they held up well. The Vigor model is stronger but a bit heavier and are really popular around here.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
My figure of 1,690g is bare wheels with rim tape. Not exactly boat anchors.
Well, sorry, that's a light boat anchor.

If you're trying to keep costs under $1000, I can give a strong recommendation for the Industry Nine I25 wheels. These tick all the boxes: mine are 1423g actual weight and they don't need rim strips. 20/24 spokes, 2/1 lacing, with straight-pull spokes. They use the same Sapim CXRay aero spokes as nearly every $2500 carbon wheelset. 19mm inner width, 27mm outer width.

Believe me you will notice more than a half-pound of weight and the aero advantage.

If you look around you'll find wheels that tick some of the optimal boxes but not all. For example, the nice Fulcrum wheels tick a few boxes but are still old-fashioned narrow rims.

They've been bombproof on my Hampsten Ti for many miles. I can't remember the last time I even thought about truing them and I weigh 25 pounds more than you.

So...light, aero, reliable and budget-friendly.

Old 02-23-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I haven't read through the thread but Rolf Elan are great wheels:
https://rolfprima.com/products/elan-disc

The clincher set is 1345 gm. They are hand built here in Eugene. The hubs are WI though they call them TdF 4.4. I had a pair for years and even though I weigh 170 lbs they held up well. The Vigor model is stronger but a bit heavier and are really popular around here.
They are actually 1380 w/o skewers.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
Well, sorry, that's a light boat anchor.

If you're trying to keep costs under $1000, I can give a strong recommendation for the Industry Nine I25 wheels. These tick all the boxes: mine are 1423g actual weight and they don't need rim strips. 20/24 spokes, 2/1 lacing, with straight-pull spokes. They use the same Sapim CXRay aero spokes as nearly every $2500 carbon wheelset. 19mm inner width, 27mm outer width.

Believe me you will notice more than a half-pound of weight and the aero advantage.

If you look around you'll find wheels that tick some of the optimal boxes but not all. For example, the nice Fulcrum wheels tick a few boxes but are still old-fashioned narrow rims.

They've been bombproof on my Hampsten Ti for many miles. I can't remember the last time I even thought about truing them and I weigh 25 pounds more than you.

So...light, aero, reliable and budget-friendly.

They are 1470 grams according to reviews.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:48 PM

Get some custom built with Easton R90 SL's. Exceptional rim.

Bonus is you get to tune the build to your requirements, around hub, spokes, lacing etc.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
They are 1470 grams according to reviews.
The Industry Nine i25 wheels are 1423 according to my calibrated scales. Maybe they've changed the design a bit?
Old 02-23-2020, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
They are actually 1380 w/o skewers.
Is that the latest iteration ?
Old 02-23-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Is that the latest iteration ?
This was a pair I weighted in 2015.
The pros closet has it at 1590 w/skewers
https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...-700c-wheelset
Old 02-23-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
The Industry Nine i25 wheels are 1423 according to my calibrated scales. Maybe they've changed the design a bit?
Not sure if they have changed the design
Here is a 2018 youtube video comparison
I25 829g rear, 669g front, 1498 total without rim strips

I25 TL vs. Classic, Industry Nine I9 Road Tubeless Wheelset Comparison.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6hH30lCp98
Old 02-24-2020, 12:37 AM

I recall that the Industry Nine wheels were pretty close to the advertised weight but I don't remember what that numbers was. If they say they are 1470g now, I'd believe them. Note that they don't need rim strips so take that into account when comparing to others.