Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Looking for significantly lighter wheel, otherwise a waste of time and money.

I've already learned a lot with all of your help, especially in terms of what's out there. Also learned that some claimed weights vs. measured weights are close, others are not :-)

The Caden wheels seem like the best value. I watched a couple of his videos. The 2:1 rear spoke pattern makes sense to me, and the reinforced nipple areas on the rims also. Like the 27mm width too. In the Decadence version, 38mm, it's close to a pound lighter than the wheelset on the bike now, and likely more aero also, being deeper and wider.
Ive been really impressed with my Caden Decadence wheels, let us know what you end up doing.

Old 02-22-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I do have a very wide range of types compared to many on here!
Raleigh 20 folder from late 1960s
Bilenky tandem from Steveandbarb
Nagasawa fixie road trainer
Pivot FS 29er
Litespeed MTB converted to drop bar 26er

All get ridden too, which is why the Firefly, coming up on a year of my ownership, only has 1,100-1,200 miles.
I like your fleet.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:39 PM

Recommend light clincher wheelset

Campy Bora One or Bora Ultra clinchers with Tubolito road tubes and Pirelli P Zero Velo TT tires.

1800g total for wheels, tires, and tubes. Amazing ride.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:45 PM

going with latex inner tubes (e.g. Vittoria) will save maybe 2x50g... easy and cheap

Instagram
Old 02-23-2020, 06:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I rode tubies in college, not looking to go back. Not interested in tubeless either.

Peter, like a lot of the people on this board, I'm interested in new experiences. I've already said I know this isn't going to make me faster in any measurable way, and as far as coffee shop points, I don't spend much time at coffee shops, and I mostly ride alone. Gonna be hard to find people to brag to. Even when it's "parked", I don't have people noticing the FF. I get a fair bit of notice with the Anderson which I think comes from the shiny metal fenders completing the package of what is a beautiful bike. The FF, especially being painted, is much more stealth.

After reading all the responses on the thread I started on light carbon bikes, I think I'm not missing much there in terms of ride experience. Every time I go out on the Firefly I just love that bike, and chant, I am not worthy. I've had some back and forth with Kevin at FF (they are SO responsive) and I've learned some more about FF #275. It was built for a heavier and more powerful rider, and he'd lighten up the frame if they built me a custom, but that's where it doesn't seem like the grams vs $ is worthwhile. It's not going to make the bike smoother over bumpy surfaces than it is now in any perceivable way, and it's very doubtful I'd save as much weight as is possible on the wheels, where conventional wisdom has always said is the best place to take the grams off (is that still accepted?)

Thanks all who have contributed to this thread so far, really enlightening
Not trying to throw any stones but 'new wheels' are firmly in the 'no such thing as a free lunch' arena....

-1100-1200 gram wheels? Pretty much gotta be carbon rims, fewer spokes.
-"Gee, not really that expensive"..either private label, lower quality hubs..or rims...or builds..almost certainly off shore produced. They 'may' be perfect..but may not be..buying and using sight on seen, often. It would be a shame to buy some of these($1000+), slap them on and either they 'feel' dead or don't stay true..then find you cannot return 'used' wheels.
-1100-1200 wheelset with quality hubs, great reviews, excellent builds, great rep...not cheap..even those Caden wheels are 'normally' in the $1600 range.
Not sure if that is marketing..BIG discount or what.
-So, kinda gotta decide 'worth', for you. Worth is a really big word. $ vs expected 'feel', and a "new experience"..

As they say, GLWBuy, ymmv, IMHO, ATMO...etc...
Old 02-23-2020, 07:15 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
1,300 g rear, 1,130g front.
Everyone claiming OP can find much lighter clinchers than 1700g might've missed ^^^this figure from post #1. The 1700g figure was with tires and tubes.

28 or 32 spoke alloy clinchers that are 1,300 g rear, 1,130g front!?!?! Dude, you are riding light wheels!
Old 02-23-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
going with latex inner tubes (e.g. Vittoria) will save maybe 2x50g... easy and cheap
I just switched to latex myself. You do have to pump latex tubes up every day, but it’s something I think a lot of us can learn. The Vittorias don’t leak as much air as the others, I hear.

The main reason I switched was the lower rolling resistance, not so much the weight.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
I just switched to latex myself. You do have to pump latex tubes up every day, but it’s something I think a lot of us can learn. The Vittorias don’t leak as much air as the others, I hear.

The main reason I switched was the lower rolling resistance, not so much the weight.
I think that's a great point. Lighter 'anything' is just 'lighter', not necessarily 'better', which is mostly subjective.

BUT, with bike stuff, you can measure ONLY 2 things..weight and price..all else is subjective.

AND another thing comes to mind..rim brake wheels and proprietary rims and spokes..most of which are NOT supported well by the manufacturer..It's a real shame when you have to take a really fine hub and make a pen holder out of it cuz you can't find a replacement rim.

A gent asked me to try to find a BORA rim..Found one..over $1000(yup, just the rim), on sale for a mere $585...yowser. Couldn't find a C24 rim...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-23-2020 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:31 AM

To me, it is hard to beat the combination of lightweight, stiffness and durability that the Dura Ace C24 wheels offer. Campy Zonda wheels offered a similar feel in my experience, but they were about 150 g heavier in the Shimano freehub configuration (though they are half the price).
Old 02-23-2020, 07:55 AM

My figure of 1,690g is bare wheels with rim tape. Not exactly boat anchors. I might try a set that knocks 400g off that, to see what it's like. I think with tires and tubes, with light tubes, maybe 1925-1950g total. About a pound.

Peter - Australia is certainly offshore! I haven't found a single negative post about the Caden wheels.

QUOTE=Bob Ross;2662054]Everyone claiming OP can find much lighter clinchers than 1700g might've missed ^^^this figure from post #1. The 1700g figure was with tires and tubes.

28 or 32 spoke alloy clinchers that are 1,300 g rear, 1,130g front!?!?! Dude, you are riding light wheels![/QUOTE]

Last edited by NHAero; 02-23-2020 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:24 AM

I'm curious - have you weighed those wheels? One of the things I like about Competitive Cyclist is they often publish Claimed Weight and Actual Weight.
At the link below, you can see the Ultra's Claimed Weight at 1,360g and Actual at 1,720g.
OP talks about being surprised when the wheels show up - I'd be pretty surprised if a >$3K wheelset weighed 360g more than advertised.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/c...NDYXQxMDAwNzE=

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Campy Bora One or Bora Ultra clinchers with Tubolito road tubes and Pirelli P Zero Velo TT tires.

1800g total for wheels, tires, and tubes. Amazing ride.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:27 AM

But wait - I thought Campy really was better, objectively? Insert smiley with wink and grin here

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
BUT, with bike stuff, you can measure ONLY 2 things..weight and price..all else is subjective.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Peter - Australia is certainly offshore! I haven't found a single negative post about the Caden wheels.

No doubt and these wheels get great reviews BUT 'private label', asian sourced rims and hubs..yes? Not saying they are not great hubs and rims but something has to 'give' when it comes to $1100 or so carbon clincher WHEELS...
Use a DT hub, the price is gona go up. Interesting that in their ad/website they say
Quote:
deCADENce CENTRIST 3D Forged T7075 Straight Pull. 100% Custom Designed With Over 150 Years Combined Knowledge. Silky Smooth, Stiff & RELIABLE. Same Weight As Exotic Italians With More Durability
Lotsa hubs out there but the real 'exotics' are not necessarily from Italia..

And 'more durablity'...a big maybe yes, maybe not.marketeer-speak.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:42 AM

I recognize there is more risk with wheels like these than Shimano or Campy or custom from you or Ergott (both of you have built wheels for me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

No doubt and these wheels get great reviews BUT 'private label', asian sourced rims and hubs..yes? Not saying they are not great hubs and rims but something has to 'give' when it comes to $1100 or so carbon clincher WHEELS...
Use a DT hub, the price is gona go up. Interesting that in their ad/website they say

Lotsa hubs out there but the real 'exotics' are not necessarily from Italia..

And 'more durablity'...a big maybe yes, maybe not.marketeer-speak.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I recognize there is more risk with wheels like these than Shimano or Campy or custom from you or Ergott (both of you have built wheels for me).
10-4...if you DO have an issue, do send them to Hollywood or back to Australia? US buyer?
Interestingly enough, 8375 Hollywood Blvd, LA, looks like somebody's house..google maps. US Caden POC.