Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful View Post
I am certainly glad this thread is still alive. I thought long and hard prior to posting it as, once digital, the message is forever. I wasn't sure I wanted my name associated with addiction for all to see. This thread has confirmed for me that posting it was the right thing to do. Thank you to all that have participated.

I more strongly than ever feel the original title should read I quit **** **** as I continue to educate myself on addiction. It really isn't about alcohol as many addictions are fueled by the same external pressures and the physical changes to your body (particularly the brain) that start the inevitable cycle.

I just read a wiki on the celebrity Jamil. I had seen her in the media quite frequently but never paid attention to who she was. I found this quote almost immediately regarding anorexia nervosa:

"I was bombarded with a narrative that had no alternative. There were never any women who were celebrated for their intellect ... and all of my magazines were selling me weight loss products or telling me to be thin. Otherwise, I wasn't worth anything."

For me, acknowledging, understanding and observing (in that order) how marketing influences behavior (particularly at a young age) was a huge part of my continuing recovery.

Remember when everyone smoked? Look at the marketing of the time. The generations that followed the removal of cigarette ads from mainstream media were considerable less likely to smoke cigarettes than the previous generations.

Guess what, no laws against advertising vaping. Marketing tells us that vaping is cool, safer. Now look at the generations that found smoking cigarettes "uncool". Those generations are vaping. Coincidence?

I am certain that there are many variables that cause addiction. Marketing is just one. But it is now one that I am GRATEFUL that I better understand (or more appropriately, focus on the end goal of the product manufacturer (sell more widgets (alcohol, cigarettes, gravel bikes, etc.). Addiction = revenue!

One last comment before I jump off of my soapbox. Please read This Naked Mind by Annie Grace. It is currently the #1 best seller in alcoholism recovery on Amazon but has a message that, in my opinion, will be extremely beneficial to all.

Brad
Wonderful post. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
It is and I was a poster child for side effects..
Tight chest, wheezing, coughing, short of breath..25mg twice per day..
I carried a bucket of ice melt about 20 feet to my car, saw stars, had to sit down before I drove...The 'diltiazen' is a 'calcium blocker'..I guess does the same sort of thing. I can ride but the weather has been so snowy, haven't had a chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
During the cycling season I cut the dose in 1/2. I need a bit more max HR that part of the year, and all the exercise lowers the BP too low on the full dose, albeit full is on 25mg. Not racing, so it really isn't a bad thing it makes it hard to achieve anaerobic state.
Yep - I get it ....to both above. I was on 25 mg 1x daily and it was too much. I went off pretty soon thereafter. I am now on a low dose of an angiotensin inhibitor for an occasional and slight arrhythmia and BP, and it seems to do much better. However, while my cycling hasn't been the same for the last few years, I can't really point to it as the/a cause.....nor can I eliminate it....

Last edited by OtayBW; 02-15-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:42 AM

My screen name has my clean date in it. I should probably add 28 in the middle. Maybe we could start an on line meeting. .

Mike
Old 02-19-2020, 04:14 PM

wonderful and massively encouraging thread. i did dry january again this year and am limiting drinking to weekends as someone else posted earlier. I can have a drink or two, but usually just as happy to have five or six. lost a few pounds but crucially, now turning 40, am feeling better when the 4:45 alarm goes off and it's time to hit the road. i drink a lot more tea now. thanks again for starting the threat Grateful, and congrats with your on-going success.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:32 PM

cut alcohol this year, even limiting sugar and coffee i take. so far no differences, but there’s all this extra cash
Old 02-22-2020, 01:26 PM

Been following this thread for a while, occasionally writing a post then erasing it before posting, I've been dry for 13 years, for all who have tried and are still trying - congratulations- I'll say the only way I could find to overcome was to think of how much I have invested in the effort (this is a daily fight BTW- when you think "I've beat it - it comes back and beats you). I tried quitting once before earlier in life, lasted about 9 months, then slowly fell off the wagon, one beer at a time -thinking "moderation" was the key...pfft that sh** runs deep in my genes and moderation lead back to 12 pack a night...At 39 I made it my goal to be sober by 40 - and did it - and it was possibly the hardest thing I've faced in my life. I look at it this way - I can't go back because don't have strength to face the feelings of disappointment and failure in myself and have to go through the emotions of withdraw again.

(as a post-script I dropped a ton of weight and kept it off for years-but the need for sugar/carbs kinda took the place of all that beer and the waistline slowly expanded back out to nearly drinking level- am in the process of cutting sugar and carbs now and is about as difficult as alcohol - the emotional ups and downs are a sonofabitch..)
Old 07-13-2020, 06:46 PM

Thought that I would report in. It has been just over a year since I quit. Still going strong.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Thought that I would report in. It has been just over a year since I quit. Still going strong.
Nice work.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Kudos, Brother! We all have our addictions. It takes courage, discipline, and perseverance. Keep up the good work!
Old 07-13-2020, 07:34 PM

Keep it up, you’re living proof.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:05 PM

Recently, a coworker confided in me that he had a drinking problem. I had even heard other employees make off-hand statements like, "if he doesn't stop, we may have to hold an intervention." He was never drunk at work; he would just look and act like the hangover.

One employee, a sweetheart of a woman, gave my coworker a book titled, This Naked Mind, by Annie Grace. She suggested he read the book to possibly assist him breaking his addiction.

In This Naked Mind, the author isn't just offering "expert" advice. She was addicted to alcohol herself, and isn't shy talking about it. The book is loaded with quoted experts, and facts, for those that enjoy a technical read. But it's an easy read as well.

Well, he got to Chapter 3 of 24 and the story of the Pitcher Plant hit him. He recognized his problem and he's stopped drinking.

His story was so interesting I found a copy of the book and I'm reading it now, even though I don't drink alcohol, just to see what he read that turned on the light for him.

Worthwhile reading for anyone seeking help.

Last edited by Peter P.; 07-14-2020 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:16 PM

Awesome thread! I'm 10.5 months sober, and it's been the best decision I've ever made. Had no idea what power I'd given to the bottle. Thanks for all the input above.

BTW, I'm thin, 5'10", 152lbs. Total cholesterol was 222 before quitting, (with high HDL that is sometimes common with heavy drinkers.). Down to 198 total after 3 months sober.

Last edited by pbarry; 07-13-2020 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:34 PM

Way to go Grateful!! It only gets better

Can't wait to read about year two
Old 07-13-2020, 08:38 PM

Good job bro! Keep on keepin' on.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:42 PM

and to PBarry and every one else going though this
I'm right there with you
Congrats